• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Further restrictions for Firearm owners in Europe

Daryll

.270 WIN
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Firearms_Directive

The European Union (EU) has long had a thing about Firearms owners, and gradually trying to reduce the ownership, or effectiveness of firearms held.

The latest amendment to this "European Firearms Directive" was proposed in 2015 and it seeks to limit magazines sizes, and reclassify firearms so less people can hold them... all in the name of "prevention of terrorism..!
(This was the main reason many UK shooters voted to leave the EU...!!!)

Unfortunately we, and possibly the US, will still be affected, as European manufacturers are already starting to pre-empt the legislation.

I recently tried to order a couple of 25rnd magazines for my Umarex/Walther MP5 in .22lr. The following day I recieved a call saying the retailer had refunded my payment. When I questioned it, they said that it was due to the European Firearms directive, banning the sale of magazines over 10 rnds... and the manufacturers have already stopped making them!
Apparently the european suppliers have some high cap magazines for other rifles, but once they're gone there will be no more.

While the UK has stated that we're leaving the EU, I wouldn't be surprised if the government try to make the Directive effective in the Uk before we actually leave...

At least the Czechs have the right idea... they've revolted against the Directive, and effectively formed their own 2A, to promote more citizens owning firearms..!!

Look after your rights....

Buy springs and followers.

Damn this arbitrary 10 round limit.

They limiting who can own cars since the U.K. Has a muzzie run down problem

I'm not sure if you are aware of this, but another note about the Czech's, they are opening a manufacturing facility in the USA later this year. They already have a distribution hub in Kansas City, but to my limited knowledge, they are going to be opening a manufacturing facility here too.

I'm not certain how their 2A is going to work out for them, but I'm proud of what they're doing and there are many in the USA that will not go along with whatever the Euro trash wants to do.

We've been sticking our middle fingers up at the likes of UN gun grabbers for decades.

To put it politely, they can "get bent".

Lots of folks use blue helmets for target practice.

And I'm pretty sure the Czech's remember all too well what they felt like when Russia decided they were going to occupy them.

Daryll, I don't know how to console you or others subject to EU directives.
I went thru the whole wikipedia document you referenced and some others linked to it.
The excursion was not a total waste of time. I found out what the Schengen Area is.

I know the UK is sort of in between as far as being directed by EU laws, but what type of punishment would be meted out to subjects that were found to be in possession of banned mags or firearms.

I like what the Czech government is trying to do to protest:
[Czech] Minister of Interior Milan Chovanec commented: "Filing the suit gives me no pleasure, but there is no other option left. The Directive violates the principle of proportionality as well as prohibition of discrimination. We shall not allow the EU to use the guise of fight against terrorism in order to disproportionately infringe onto the Member States' scope of authority and citizens' rights. The EU Gun Ban would affect almost all of the 300.000 legal gun owners in the country. This is why we will lodge not only the suit to invalidate the Directive, but also propose postponement of Directive's effectiveness."​

I expect that will be ineffective.

This provision
The directive required Member States to enact legislation that would require marking and registration of any firearm or essential part placed on the market and to establish national computerized data-filing system concerning registration.​

will ultimately prove the truth of the mantra Registration equals Confiscation. [See Australia 1996 and CA/Lockyear 2000].

upload_2017-7-13_23-57-24.jpeg
Australia - 1996

A majority of the old school European Firearm Manufacturers, as well as some South American Makers have setup up shop here in the United States...

Beretta of Italy
Benelli/Stoeger of Italy
Glock of Austria
SIG Sauer of Switzerland
Bersa of Argentina
Taurus/Rossi of Brazil

Just to name a few.

So...the exodus will just continue to grow...to our benefit !!

Fabrique Nationale (Belgium) also has a facility in South Carolina.

IWI Israel also has an assembly house in the US (yes, I realize they're not part of the Euro trash, but still worth a notable mention).

[QUOTE="Scoop, post: 242244]
. . . and to establish national computerized data-filing system concerning registration . . .[/QUOTE]

They better not do it here as long as we're getting hacked by the Russians and and other foreigners!

I mean, of course we can trust our own government not to confiscate our guns, just because we know that they said they won't.

But can we trust the Russians and the North Koreans not to hack our system?

Until the government can guarantee the safety of the database, I think they have no business collecting this information in the face of enemies who can easily take it.

After all, if the Russians can hack our national elections, how easy will it be for them to hack a simple database of the Department of Justice?

Back