• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

FYI Mossberg Dates

old mossy

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Thought we could put some Mossberg dates all in one place.......Post what you have.
I'll start it off.....

serial numbers - 1968
dual action bars - 1970
drilled and tapped receivers - 1990-91

Mossberg Serial Numbers

This is the next step with our Serial Number Database. It is hard to nail down this kind of stuff, and there is lots of disinformation, but we will have a great resource here. If anyone can provide specific data, or corrections, please do so.

G Serial Number Prefix (1973-77) : Model 500 shotguns with G serial number use a specific magazine tube with a ring system around the external diameter of the magazine tube.

The Persuader line (LE / Civilian) was introduced in 1976 and ran until 1985. The 590 was introduced in 1987 and that's why the 8-shot Persuader with bayonet lug was dropped. The 500ATP8SP had a "special non-gare finish on the metal", in 1981 the 500ATP8SPL was parkerized. The first military contract guns were 500ATP6 in 1979.

.gov contract overruns made 1983.

Mil-Spec 500MILS with 590 Heavy Barrel, metal trigger, made in 1997.

Mil-Spec w/ Pixel Barcode made in 2007-08.

Late 2000s: Introduce two versions of one-piece polymer forend.

Late 2000s: Receiver stamp changed from 500A (C, etc) to 500 12GA.

Safeties over the years, approximate:
  • 1970s - plastic checkered / well known to break
  • 1970s - steel stepped / holy grail of safeties
  • 1980s - plastic stepped / most common by far
  • 1990s - aluminum stepped / 590A1
  • 2000s - wide plastic stepped / beefed up version of common safety

Barrel Stamps, approximate:
  • Pre-1988 : Chamber markings only / small fine print
  • 1988-98 : Mossberg Logo + chamber marking
  • Post-98 : Chamber markings only / large block print ( 20" 590 still use Logo)
Seems to be tons of changes circa 1990.
  • Open new Plant in Maverick County TX
  • Introduce Maverick 88
  • Introduce 835 Magnum
  • Contract for Milspec 590
  • Beef up Trigger Assembly
  • Use slotted hex stock bolt verse slotted dome bolt
  • Anti-Rattle leaf spring in forend
  • Utilize 'short' 6 3\4 forend
  • Move to Polymer Stocks on Security models
  • Drilled Receiver as Old Mossy noted

Last edited:
Confirmed that an ATP8 Persuader, serial G801 (1976), has a drilled and tapped receiver. Gee whiz- these things all over the map.

Old Style Stocks and Forearms for K850XXX serial number or older – action slide length 7-5/8”
Around 1990.

1982 500ATP has the collar on the mag tube, but lacks the coil spring :rolleyes:

Also does not have a half-cocked notch on the hammer.

Word on the street said the shotguns use two different size taps in the receiver. I never believed it until today.

1993 year model gun has screws that are much smaller than anything I've seen and do not have the lip to lock them in place.

500 ATP "Police" models do not have the safety warning on the barrel. Waiting to confirm whether the old duck guns had them.

Note the double proof marks on this example. And pitting :(

Awesome labor of love gentlemen...we here at the forum salute your work !!

Early triggers are not adjustable and had small safety blocks. It seems these parts are not compatible with new stuff; i.e. you've got to pair them together. Latest I've seen is 1982, by about '87 they had adjustable triggers.

The deeper I dig the more weird stuff I find. I worked in heavy industry for years. I'm very familiar with running production changes, die switches, supplier changes etc. I just didn't know how far it could go.

Here is a 1982 500ATP. It has five dots on the receiver under the trigger. Anyone who knows what they are gets a free bunny.

Back