• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

G2 Research R.I.P.

DHonovich

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Sponsor
"Philanthropist"
They call it the R.I.P. round and with good reason. G2 Research has released a new ammo that is taking the market by storm and has gun owners all over the country trying to find where to pick some up.

As of now, the company is only releasing specifications for their 9mm round and they go a lil’ something like this:

* 16″ Penetration
* Up to 6″ diameter spread
* 96 gr projectile
* 2″ grouping at 25 yrds
* 1265 FPS / 490 Muzzle Energy
* 9 Separate Wound Channels
* Precision Machined
* Solid Copper / Lead Free
* Defeats all known barriers such as sheet metal, sheet rock, windshields, plywood, heavy winter clothing

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJGH7cDFw7c[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skFhKtCo5aE[/youtube]

Damn.

Those are some wicked lookin projectiles and that's definitely some interesting fragmentation...

I emailed the company in an attempt to secure some for testing.

I would like to test them through various handguns with single stack magazines, as well as the M10/9A1 and MP5K with double stack mags. I have a suspicion that there may be some issues in certain weapons that historically do not like flat tip or hollowpoint loads.

I also asked them if they anticipated any problems firing through a suppressor (without wipes). Granted that I know they're well above supersonic and won't be as quiet as dedicated subsonics.

Hopefully I get a reply and they don't turn out to be $2.50 a pop. :roll:

Someone call me? ;)

Interesting stuff.....I was just going to post up about it but I see Dan beat me to it. Awesome.....I want it. Take my money!!!!

RIP ammo

Seen this yet? :shock: :shock:

1484717_1457441147811438_1727290480_n.jpg

http://thelibertydigest.com/2014/01/24/ ... -drooling/

Re: RIP ammo

Prediction: $2 a round IF it makes it to market.

The videos are pretty hokey - shorts on facts long on hyperbole!!

I would like to see them at about 1500fps being 95 grains they need more speed imo.....or a 200 grain 10mm at 1250 fps would probably leave a mark .......copper is a cool thing and I have seen some nice stops with it in the hunting arena , retain weight real well. Reloading them is weird because there is more bullet per grain then lead but I like all copper when done right

I would say that these are not for HD if you have anyone else living with you (based on the videos). Going thru walls after hitting something might be detrimental to your family unit. Self-defense in a high population area (anywhere there are a lot of people around you ) might cause some problems as well.

That being said, they do look pretty devastating. If they penetrate that well, would they go thru body armor? If so, would they be considered "cop killers" or what ever other jargon they use to describe these types of rounds? If so, they may not make it to the market. I know they are not ballistic or Teflon tips but they may still perform the same way.

They definitely look like they will stop someone immediately. Cork-screwing center with the Blue Angel/Thunderbirds-like movement of the outer petals has a pretty dramatic effect...massive internal damage with hemorrhaging that can't be stopped.

I'll stick with Federal HST's... But would love to see what a shotgun slug in this configuration would do!

aksavanaman said:
I'll stick with Federal HST's... But would love to see what a shotgun slug in this configuration would do!

It would have to be a sabot out of a rifled barrel I think. And range would probably suffer due to the hollowed out nose. But no doubt devastating at close range. :)

aksavanaman said:

Me too AK.

Saw a write up on GunUp.com about these - they are obviously not a fan, but they bring up some good points...

When you see the penetration, the splines all come off in about 5", but the base travels 12-16 inches - not much of a wound channel beyond the first six inches (although the first 6" becomes a mess)
As described above, I'm wondering about feeding issues with those sharp edges
Pricing is going to be easily $1.50 each with CNC'd copper.

I noticed that as the splines function, some of them exited the gel - not much energy in them, but that they become separate projectiles that you lose control over, I'd have a hard time using them - hard enough to shoot someone who is shooting back under stress, now when this round becomes essentially buckshot when it hits something and thus liability, I'd have a hard time using it.

Interesting as heck, and the innovation is there. But I think a good load of Ranger, HST or Gold Dot would put up comparable, if not better statistics without the downside.

$2.50 a pop is more than my comfort zone.

I can remember when 50 BMG was less than that.

Back