Spent about an hour sanding with 400 grit removing whatever coating/finish that was on the receiver. Once done, detail field stripped it, followed with some Norrells socom black through the airbrush. I didn't preheat the metal, so it won't be a flat finish. It'll be more of a black metal flake satin up close and in direct sunlight. While I tried not to, I lost a lot of the detail on the proof marks due to the thickness of the finish after a couple of coats, but like I said, I don't think there was any real value considering there's been umpteen million of them made in the last 60 years or so anyway. Least once it finishes baking and curing, will be protected from the elements and may look a little better than it did before. Just FWIW, the socom black was what I finished my first suppressor with way back when. It holds up great to bumps, and heat and wear. I don't have to worry about all of the salt water corrosion tests. But we do have a lot of humidity here in the summer. And should seal the metal from rain and the occasional boating accident.