• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Garand Scout Rifle Project

Water Monkey

The man, the myth, the monkey
Supporter
Early on when I received my Garand I’ve been having a very difficult time focusing on the target at 100 and 200 yards.

I can definitely hit the targets at these ranges with irons. Which is a testament to the overall beast the Garand is even by today’s standards.

15448430964_dde7976fd8.jpg

But I can’t deny I have very bad eyes. I’m very near sighted and even with corrective lenses the targets out to 100 and 200 yards are a challenge.

So upon my reviews on Garand modifications I came across a scout type design being utilized with great success. From that moment I was on a quest to modify my firearm.

Now you can buy a Garand in the scout configuration... but the total cost will run you $2,500... which I found absolutely ridiculous.

Here’s the break down on cost:

M1 Garand Special from CMP - $1,000

Ultimak M1 Scout Rail - $180

Nikon Force XR BDC 2.5-8x EER scope - $280

Leupold Quick Release Scope Rings - $60

Optional - SEI Compensator - $130

Total actual cost doing it yourself - $1,650... total savings of almost $1,000

Some thoughts on some of the components:

Ultimak Scout Rail - I chose this over the Amega rail as the fasteners are made of steel and the entire rail sits flush with the receiver. The Amega actually sits a little higher and I wanted the scope as close to the frame as possible to limit how far my cheek weld is effected on the firearm.

Nikon Force XR BDC 2.5-8x EER Scope - I was torn between a fixed scope and a variable scope. In the end I wanted a scope that can give me as much magnification as possible and could be altered if I needed for longer distances and having a BDC with known distances was also a plus. Based on the current location the scope adjusts to 5x without having the eye relief being distorted. After that the scope needs to be mounted closer to the face. I am reluctant to do so as it places the scope right next to the ejection port and I dont want a spent brass to crack the lense. So in essence I have a 2.5-5x variable scope on this firearm.

Leupold Quick release rings - I wanted something quick and easy to get the scope off if I need to go irons should the need or emergency required me to do so. The firearm is already zeroed at 100 yards with irons.

Installation:

The rail is the biggest involvement and actually it was very simple. You simply pop off the wood top guard with small punch which doesnt harm the wood at all and if I change my mind down the road I can reinstall the top guard in probably 15 minutes.

The rail attaches to 2 steel anchors that are tightened from the top of the rail. Which is different from the Amenga which requires you to disassemble the firearm each time to tighten the anchors if they become loose. A little blue loctite and some elbow grease got that part installed in 20 min (I was taking my time).

The hardest part (for me) is getting the damn scope lined up and centered as you screw it down into the scope rings. That’s usually a 30-45 min project for me. I’m anal and I try and get it centered and level as humanly possible.

Shouldering the Firearm:

After installation I shouldered the firearm for a good 30-40 minutes from a bench position, standing, sitting, kneeling, prone. Sight acquisition was fairly fast with the position of the scope. It sits relatively low on the frame and I dont have to take my cheek very far off the stock. The rear iron sight does not obstruct the view and I dont even notice it being there.

The scope’s zoom adjustment sits perfectly where my support hand naturally rests. I found I could adjust the zoom very efficiently without disrupting my sight picture.

It did add a little weight to it. Not terribly heavy but the firearm wasn’t the lightest on the market either to begin with. I’d say it’s manageable but time will tell when I take it out for deer this fall (assuming my contacts dont bail on me when it’s white tail season).

I look forward to taking this to the range and getting it sighted in at 100 yards and plinking the 10” steel plate at 200 and 300 yards this year.

Before:

14977167243_20f8607179.jpg

After:

16512948258_ab0d25bd77.jpg

That's pretty different for a Garand. Let me know how you like shooting with the forward mounted scope. I have debated adding a forward rail and optic to my Mini14 for some time.

It's looking good WM. You always think things through very well and then implement accordingly. Thanks for sharing.

The amenga rail also has obnoxious white lettering on the rail. Makes the rifle look cheap IMHO.

The ultimak seems more streamlined.

I worked out great!
I haven't shot it much, since you picked up your Garand, I have been picking up consumables for reloading, so I can shoot it a bit more :) I haven't shot it in over a year... :(
One thing I would like to do is lap the rings and make sure it's seated correctly.

IIRC, this was at 50 yards, Two clips through it, I was trying to zero it and noticed that the rings had come lose on the scope and mount... :rolleyes: I'm still not 100% sure if I was zeroing it correctly or not.
4971e6fdaf846d766d0945d64d802c81.jpg

Ahh. Did you blue locktite it?

I should be able to hit the range in the next couple of weekends if the wind decides to cooperate.

Ahh. Did you blue locktite it?

I should be able to hit the range in the next couple of weekends if the wind decides to cooperate.

I hadn't, we were having a meet-n-greet in Cali some years ago and one of the members who was supposed to be there was going to lap the rings, he wasn't able to make it after all and I wanted to try my new scope.

Best of luck! We all want to hear about it.

a couple of additions came in for the project. ill install tonight and post an update. hoping to hit the range in a week or two.

F'in cool!
Yeah I'm liking it. Project is complete in my opinion. Just need the old sight in and 200 yard test. And in the summer I'll stretch it out to 300 yards.

One pouch has an extra clip.

The other I'll put in a small bottle of Hoppes 9 solvent (travel spray bottle) and my ballistic's card for my M2 ball ammo.

Back