1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

Garand Scout Rifle Project

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by Water Monkey, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Water Monkey

Water Monkey The man, the myth, the monkey Moderator Supporter

2. Rossignol

Rossignol The Original Sheriff Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator Sponsor

Holy smokes that's awesome!
    Water Monkey likes this.
  3. Water Monkey

it's definitely a little on the heavy side. But hopefully I can sneak out to get it all sighted in. Gonna get the zero at 100 yards and then start ringing the 10" and possibly the 4" gong at 200 yards.
    Rossignol likes this.
  4. Water Monkey

wind projection is looking awful for this weekend considering we have a snow storm coming in Friday.

looks like skeet shooting is on the menu on Saturday. Haven't busted clays in over a year since the injury. Time to get some!
  5. LAZY EYED SNIPER

LAZY EYED SNIPER Overwatch Staff Member Global Moderator Supporter "Philanthropist"

Enjoy it brother...
  6. old mossy

old mossy Global Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Moderator

,,,,3 to 5",,,,,,25-30mph winds,,,,,,:eek:
  7. Water Monkey

Wind projecting to be in the 7mph area.... thinking the long gun range is back on the menu.
  8. oli700

oli700 12g Supporter "Philanthropist"

after you get used to the set up you need to shoot those windy days , a smorgasbord of emotions.......I haven't really tried an -06 in wind, the 556 a bit though. I imagine the 06 would be nicer lol.

have you talked about the ammo you will be using and I missed it ?
    Water Monkey likes this.
  9. Water Monkey

Totally!

Shooting prvi partisan 150 gr M2 ball. Also some surplus Greek hxp. Prvi is my main stock.
  10. oli700

I wonder what weight you can get away with in a Garand......since I became seriouse about working loads and grouping I really realized what ammo brings to the table.......crappy ammo make a good gun look bad,.... as you know
  11. Water Monkey

Hornady makes a 168gr match ammo for the Garand. I'll pick some up later on in the year.

I can also buy a gas plug that allows me to shoot modern commercial ammo loads
    LAZY EYED SNIPER and oli700 like this.
  12. Water Monkey

OK…. Range Report:

Hit the range after the snow storm yesterday. Had about 3" of snow on the ground. 35*F, limited wind around 5-7mph when it was blowing. Blowing towards my face so limited impact on bullet trajectory:

[​IMG]

Started out on the 100 yard line locking in the zero on the Scope:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

First 3 shots are far left and high. I walked it in on the 4th group

Zeroed with Pvi Partizan 150gr M2 Ball. Wanted to see how it matched up with surplus Greek HXP:

[​IMG]

Prvi on top Greek on the bottom… Prvi groups better. I hit the Greek with 2 clips because the first clip scattered like a MF shotgun. BTW the dot is a 2 MOA dot

Took my time on a slow fire on the Prvi and got under 3 MOA which basically cut my MOA in half using the scope:

[​IMG]

Hit the 200 yard line with medium fire:

[​IMG]

Kinda bummed because I forgot to reset my windage to my zero. It was 1/2 MOA off from verified zero to the right. I was still kinda playing with the zero before I left the 100 yard bench and I forgot to reset it back to my preferred settings. So as you can see I'm about 1" off to the right.

Ringing STEEL at 200 yards Bitches:

[​IMG]

Bench shooting at 200 yards I was ringing steel with ease. Standing couldn't nail the 10" plate, Sitting hit 2/8, prone hit 3/8. The rifle did have some weight to it but I was having some difficulty keeping the scope from moving since I didn't have a complete cheek weld even when using the sling. I didn't feel bad there was another shooter with a 308 AR I let him have a go at my steel and he only hit 1/5 shots from prone with his rifle.
  13. LAZY EYED SNIPER

LAZY EYED SNIPER Overwatch Staff Member Global Moderator Supporter "Philanthropist"

Great shooting! Nicely done Sir.

I suppose the freezing wind could have contributed to the difficulty shooting off-hand. I always have a difficult time shooting well when it's really cold out. My muscles are constantly shivering and moving, so it's hard to stay on target. Then again I am from Texas, so I haven't had much cold weather shooting practice...
    Water Monkey likes this.
  14. old mossy

Nice shooting WM.

Extra 5 points for braving the cold and snow.;)
  15. Water Monkey

It warmed up to about 45*f. Felt great considering we've had temps in the teens. I'm thinking it was me.
  16. old mossy

Must be my old bones.:)
    Water Monkey likes this.
  17. oli700

1 out of 5......prone.......AR 10......200 yards......sucks he does

I'll give you time, get used to the set up.

any idea what to realistically expect from your rifle ?
    Water Monkey and dieselmudder like this.
  18. Water Monkey

Lol I was thinking that too. Think he had a bipod. He Dressed like a tier one operator.

Realistically, bench I'm looking to get 2 Moa.

I need to work on my form for the other positions. I want to hit steel 5/8 or better from standing, sitting, prone at 200 yards.
    oli700 likes this.
  19. oli700

sounds like a good and obtainable goal....

I am actually better prone than anything......although I have never shot from a true bench rest set up

standing that far is tough , I always end up looking like one of those Olympic guys
  20. LAZY EYED SNIPER

Better'n me, I just end up looking like an @$$hole...