• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Garand Scout Rifle Project

I seem to have 2 problems with this set up in prone.

1) not much of a cheek weld

2) using the supportive hand to steady the rifle is new to me. Prior to that I used a bipod.

Last edited:
Once you get it down with the sling, it will be about as steady as a bi pod

I also can shoot good sitting using knees as support

I'm digging it!

Couple ideas;
Padded cheek riser and sling for support?

I've had to re-evaluate my set up and I've ordered a cheek riser. I thought I could get by with my stock pouch but I will need about 1/2" rise to properly mount the rifle in standing, kneeling, sitting and prone positions. Pics will come when it arrives and I'll take her out in a month for another go at firing positions other than bench firing.

Bravo for finding out what it needs by live fire shooting.

So many folks just throw a bunch of crap on there not knowing what works and what doesn't.

Bravo for finding out what it needs by live fire shooting.

So many folks just throw a bunch of crap on there not knowing what works and what doesn't.

That's how I roll. Everything I have has to have a functional role. And I have to be proficient in its use.

I just can't deny I need a solid cheek weld to properly aim the rifle without the use of a front bag. Even in a solid prone position I would veer off mark just before I pulled the trigger because the rifle and I weren't in sync.

Update to the project:

Sold the stock pouch in like 5 minutes… picked up ITC Cheek Rest online. Ordered the chocolate brown which is a really close match to the overall rifle so I was pretty excited… until I put the inserts in… didn't give me enough rise. Weird because the website said it gives up to 1 1/4" rise.

Ended up ordering more inserts from them and got them a few days later. Opened the package and the insert material was completely different! Thicker with different sizes in thickness unlike the inserts that came with the unit. I ended up contacting the owner telling him about the quality assurance issue he may have… He emailed me back saying that sometimes he uses the inferior inserts because he can't find the open cell foam pads he normally uses. Nice way to do business…. sending out a product that doesn't give you the rise it promises.

I was going to rave about this company until that nonchalant email I got back.

Well, after I put in the appropriate inserts it was the perfect rise and my cheek weld is right on:

16807331247_5726d1d9cb.jpg

It's lookin good, and I'm ready for the next range report!

Back