• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

F1 blackout project- update page 3

John A.

Unconstitutional laws are not laws.
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
I'll be changing the name of the topic after I get my approval because there is so little that I can do in the meantime other than the planning stages, but I wanted to start the topic keep the information together so for now, this title seems appropriate.

This will be my fourth suppressor build, and is likely my last. I am using everything that I have learned over the years, or thought I know anyway, in hopes that it'll be pretty effective.

I am going to incorporate several proven design features, such as reflex porting over the barrel. And perhaps even porting the barrel directly into the reflex portion of the suppressor if my expansion chamber design doesn't perform as I expect or hope.

But most of that is going to have to wait until the government clears up it's 8 month plus backlog of submitted paperwork.

Until then, all I have to show for my ideas is turning my barrel down so it will accommodate the reflex portion of the can, and I also cut back quite a bit of the heavy barrel behind the gas block for nothing more than to reduce weight to mitigate some of the added weight of the can. While a few ounces may not sound like a lot now, every little bit is going to help later.

naked mongoose barrel before lightening cuts.jpg

naked mongoose barrel after lightening cuts.jpg

Damn John. Wish we were closer neighbors. I would love to learn firsthand about some of this stuff. looking forward to watching this come together.

@SHOOTER13 The wait is unnecessary, excessive, and ridiculous.

They signed for my paperwork July 28, 2016 I think. When I submitted the paperwork, I was hoping for a December approval. Looks like that's out the window now. And if their recording is correct, that will put me around March 2017 before I get the paperwork back. :confused:

@dieselmudder you're welcome anytime. I have several ideas that I plan to use in this one. Some, have never been tried before that I know of. And maybe with good reason.

It'll work great, or terrible. At this point, I think I have a 50/50 chance of it going either way LOL

Called and checked on the status of my paperwork today. It was the first time I have spoken to them that they are even showing the serial number in the system. Told me they are showing they entered the paperwork as received on Aug. 1, 2016. Despite that it was mailed in July. But I digress.

Lady told me to expect at least 8 months or more from that date to even expect to be approved.

By her estimation, that will be around April fools day 2017. o_O

That's just beyond stupid.

With that said, I have made a few tweaks to my blueprint of how I am going to machine the monocore baffle stack portion of the can. Not certain that it'll be for the better, but it looks like a promising idea.

Wow.... what are they doing one person a day. And I wanted to apply for mine here . Maybe I'll get it back before I die....lol....

According to the last numbers that I saw, there were between 850,000-1,000,000 registered suppressors in the USA as of 2015. In all fairness, there was a change to the NFA processes that Obama did by executive order that went into effect in mid '16, so there were a large number of applications submitted just before I did mine.

Not excusing the mess that created, but the wait time to get a signature/approval stamp has increased substantially in recent year(s). Back in '04 when I got my first tax stamp, wait time was about 5 weeks.

Wow. That's crazy. Do you have to have one for each suppressor or if you have one existing are u allowed to obtain more than one with that tax stamp paid.

I thought so. Just wasn't sure since I haven't looked into it too much to know all the specifics. I'm still getting one just need to see what caliber will best suit me for starters

You need to get then one done so you can teach me what you have learned. LOL

I have some pretty good ideas to try Mike. Whether they work or not, I don't know, but I think it will.

I'm going to have 3 different styles of silencer, all built into one.

I mean, what's the worst thing that can happen? Right?

I notice a spring-loaded mass in some of these cans. Is that just an anti-recoil device?
Or does it actually pump gas around inside the can?

No, that is so they will help cycle the slide on a handgun.

Some call them neilson devices, some call them "boosters" among other things, but they're there to help negate some of the weight of the silencer so the slide will move back and forward so the extra weight won't interfere/drag the slide.

They are unnecessary on fixed barrel guns, like MP5's, AR15's, etc.

Just a little update of sorts. It's been 9 months since they got my paperwork logged into the computer so I recently called the NFA branch to ask about it.

I was told to expect maybe 2 more months to get my paperwork back now. That is going to push the wait time to close to a year again.

In recent months, NFA branch has undergone a major change in how they handle paperwork.

There is now a dedicated Government request branch, which takes care of nothing but government acquisitions, then there was another branch that was started to handle industry transfers (dealer to dealer and manufacturer to dealer).

And that leaves everyone else (the "other people") nfa branch to continue dealing with mere civilian transfers and requests.

From my understanding, there has been a hiring freeze put on the government, which means from my humble opinion that the government has taken away resources (people) away from civilian transfers to concentrate on reducing the amount of time that the government has to wait for their approvals so manufacturers can deliver their machineguns and silencers and other things to them.

I just wanted to go on record here and say that I am less than impressed with the new developments.

That sux John. Hope u hear something back soon.
But if u don't want to wait any longer, I'll be more than happy to take it off your hands and take your place so you won't have to worry about the excruciating long wait. Lol.

But seriously hope u hear something back soon bro.

Last edited:
Thanks for the nice offer stigmata. That's really kind of you.

MikeD submitted paperwork 2 or 3 weeks before I did, and he's still waiting too.

NFA reg's really need to be streamlined and brought up to date.

I understand why NFA background checks and stuff were done the way they were, but still.

See, back in 1934, there was no social security numbers, no nationwide criminal databases that can be accessed within seconds.

The local police knew who the troublemakers were, so they required the sheriff to sign the forms saying that you're not a wanted person. So they put that requirement in there.

Fingerprints were "high tech" at the time. That was revolutionary finding out just a few years prior that everyone had unique fingerprints. So, you have to submit fingerprints.

The tax was set at $200, which is the equivelant of about $5,300.00 in todays terms. That's the only reason why I would prefer congress just to leave it alone so they don't try to raise the tax to a cost prohibitive point again like it was before. It was intentionally set higher than 2 years wages to be a ban, but called a tax.

I'm actually not fond of taxing a right in the first place. Should be thrown out altogether.

Supreme court shot down a tax on newspapers because freedom of speech is a right. Sadly, they didn't apply the same logic to all of our rights.

NICS background checks are required for purchasing a gun. There is no reason that it couldn't be made the same with nfa.

But nobody wants to take on the subject. It's like they're (congress) is scared of it and don't want to touch it.

Back