• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

getting to know my 930

duke's mossberg

Copper BB
Good eveing and happy new year to all!

New to the MossbergOwners forum. thank you for the approval.

First let me say that I am pretty novice when it comes to the shotgun knowledge base. And I further I hope that I am not posting these series of questions to the wrong section. Recently picked up the Mossberg 930 semi auto with the 18in barrel. I wanted this weapon as a tactical shotgun just for the badsa$$ Ness of it. My hope was to additionally purchase a sporting barrel to change out and take clay shooting. The Mossberg site has a 28in "all purpose" Barrel that I am hoping will work. I have been doing my research here and I am now concerned that this all purpose barrel may not have the boring I need for sporting. Or does it need it for buck shot, clay shooting?
I have only shot it at the range where they allow low velocity slugs only. I am looking for any advise on if this long barrel will be what I need or will I need to purchase another Mossberg sporting gun (twist my arm lol)?
Also I am trying to better understand the type of amunition I will need so that the previous round casing will eject after firing. The slugs at the range would not and I had to rechamber a new round after each fire...kind of defeats the purpose of the semiautomatic over the pump action.

Again, thanks for any input, sorry for the lengthy post.
Very excited to learn up on Mossbergs while modifying my new weapon.

Dukes-

No. 1 Happy new year and welcome to Mossberg Owners!

No. 2 I moved this thread to the 930 section, but no worries, not a big deal.

No. 3 I'm going to let the more experienced 930 guys answer the questions of the low recoil slugs though if I understand, the 930 may need a little more power to get it broke in and smoothed out.

No. 4 On the barrel, it should serve you well for all manner of shooting. I looked on the OFM store site and I can't tell what the choke is, it just says as you've stated that its "all purpose". I imagine it isn't choke any more than "full" but it could be modified or improved... I can really only guess but once you have it, check the barrel, it should say. In any case, it will work for all buckshot, birdshot or target loads for sporting or wing shooting, and depending on how it's choke, it should work for slugs too.

Have you already purchased the barrel?

My 930 has digested anything I have put through it, but I admit I tend to shoot more of the higher velocity stuff. The few times I have run std shot through it caused no issues. Any flavor of slug should have enough powder to cycle it. Some people have had issues with low velocity bird shot. This seems to be more the norm than the exception but it has not been the case for every owner.

Only issued I've had is with skeet loads on a very cold (sub 0 ) day when I first bough it. I did not lean it out good enough and the cold temps thickened the packing grease in the action and rendered it a single shot. Make sure you clean it well when you get it and then clean it again for good measure. After that you should be good.

Howdy Dukes and welcome board.

I have two 930's, one of which is the 24" JM Pro that eats absolutely anything I feed it with no issues. The other is the 18" Tactical model #85336. The 18" 930 models are known to be less than reliable with most any ammo at or around the factory recommended minimum 1200 fps velocity range. Mine would not cycle much of anything low mass or under 1300 fps. The issue stems from the gas system which was originally designed for the 24" and longer field barrels. Shorter barrels allow for less dwell time, the length of time the projectile is in the barrel after it passes the gas port. As long as the projectile is in the barrel gas is continually forced through the gas port creating the pressure that cycles the action and ejects the round. As the barrel is shortened, gas pressure is reduced to the point where higher velocity ammo is necessary to compensate for the loss of energy.

You might check out this review on a great aftermarket spacer tube made by OR3GUN that greatly reduced the failure rate with lower velocity ammo in my 930 Tactical...

http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum...n-marine-spacer-tube-competition-model.13823/

Long story short, your 930 should have no issues at all when using a longer field barrel. You will most likely see a big improvement in reliability with low velocity ammo. A smooth bore 24" or longer barrel is well suited for a wide variety of shooting sports and will handle any type of ammo you'll need to use. Keep us posted on your progress and what you decide...

No. 1 Happy new year and welcome to Mossberg Owners!

No. 2 I moved this thread to the 930 section, but no worries, not a big deal.

No. 3 I'm going to let the more experienced 930 guys answer the questions of the low recoil slugs though if I understand, the 930 may need a little more power to get it broke in and smoothed out.

No. 4 On the barrel, it should serve you well for all manner of shooting. I looked on the OFM store site and I can't tell what the choke is, it just says as you've stated that its "all purpose". I imagine it isn't choke any more than "full" but it could be modified or improved... I can really only guess but once you have it, check the barrel, it should say. In any case, it will work for all buckshot, birdshot or target loads for sporting or wing shooting, and depending on how it's choke, it should work for slugs too.

Have you already purchased the barrel?
Yes I ordered the barrel but it's enroute. Will check out the specs once I get it, and post on the choke as well as how it fires. Thanks for the info. Very helpful.

Howdy Dukes and welcome board.

I have two 930's, one of which is the 24" JM Pro that eats absolutely anything I feed it with no issues. The other is the 18" Tactical model #85336. The 18" 930 models are known to be less than reliable with most any ammo at or around the factory recommended minimum 1200 fps velocity range. Mine would not cycle much of anything low mass or under 1300 fps. The issue stems from the gas system which was originally designed for the 24" and longer field barrels. Shorter barrels allow for less dwell time, the length of time the projectile is in the barrel after it passes the gas port. As long as the projectile is in the barrel gas is continually forced through the gas port creating the pressure that cycles the action and ejects the round. As the barrel is shortened, gas pressure is reduced to the point where higher velocity ammo is necessary to compensate for the loss of energy.

You might check out this review on a great aftermarket spacer tube made by OR3GUN that greatly reduced the failure rate with lower velocity ammo in my 930 Tactical...

http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum...n-marine-spacer-tube-competition-model.13823/

Long story short, your 930 should have no issues at all when using a longer field barrel. You will most likely see a big improvement in reliability with low velocity ammo. A smooth bore 24" or longer barrel is well suited for a wide variety of shooting sports and will handle any type of ammo you'll need to use. Keep us posted on your progress and what you decide...
Great!
Thanks for the info. I'll plan to get spun up to better understand the whys, but your quick lesson was great.
Feel much better having now bought the long barrel.

Great!
Thanks for the info. I'll plan to get spun up to better understand the whys, but your quick lesson was great.
Feel much better having now bought the long barrel.
The barrel should be threaded to accept all accu-chokes. I suggest using improved or modified for sporting clays.

Back