• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Ghost Ring Install Options?

Guys looking at getting a bead sighted 7-shot 590A1 soon. Mossberg offers these guns with ghost ring sights, but they are threaded for chokes. I despise chokes and see them as useless on a defensive shotgun.

So to avoid having a threaded choke barrel but also since I want ghost rings of some sort, I'll need to have the gun fitted with said ghost rings and probably refinished as the front sight will need to be soldered on.

Aimpro Tactical can install factory ghost rings and refinish with some kind of mystery paint. I'd prefer just a re-parkerization job. I am wary of this paint (they have some corny name for it that I don't remember) but also the company in general as I've read many horror stories and lack of communication complaints etc.

Anybody else out there install ghost rings AND refinish the barrel? As for which ghost rings to get, there are the factory ones and I've heard of LPA'S which have good reviews but little information on where to buy them. Keep in mind the sights will need to be compatible with the heavy walled A1 barrel.

Please point me in the right direction gang, thanks in advance!!

LPA is made in Italy. While they do export some stuff to the USA, it's very limited and not very easy to find. Also, they don't keep their website current. They showed scorpion A1 sights on their page for a year and a half after they had ceased production and had sold all of their remaining inventory.

You may could find an older barrel online somewhere. Lots of places sell new and used parts.

Double D,

Just my two cents. I would take the factory installed GRS and live with the chocked barrel. Think of the money and grief you'll save yourself. You can always put a breaching choke accessory in and leave it there. If you tighten it correctly it will not be a problem.

If you ever wanted to run 50 or 100 thru it on the sporting clays course you can throw in an IC choke and have at it.

Thanks for the replies, gang.

I've been looking at past models, trying to find something with ghost rings and a cylinder bore barrel. Model 51517 seemed like a great gun. 5+1. Couldn't find any on Gun Broker, though.

Reason I'm not fan of chokes is the sets I've had on my 1100s, including an 1100 Tactical, we're always getting loose no matter what I did. And with loads like the Federal Flite Controls that pattern best from a cylinder bore, I don't know... it's my preference and I'm probably overthinking things lol. For hunting sure, but I'm looking to build the simplest fighting gun I can.

Last edited:
Double D,

Check out package #55117. The 18.5" barrel does not have a choke. I'm a fan of the Flex package. It's like having 3 guns in 1.
500 Flex.png
No GRS but on a short barreled defensive pump shot gun the bead sight does a good job. You have a choice of regular stock or pistol grip.

Not a 590 or 590A1 but unless you're a professional you probably don't need one. The 590A1 is a heavy brute! I have the 8+1 Blackwater model with XS GRS, bayonet lug and the speed feed stock. I need a sling to lug it around. Great if you have a static defensive position but brutal if you're on the move or moving in tight quarters.

Back