• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

God, that felt good.

well I hate to tell you this but you guys are going to have to burn all the honey , scorched honey tree policy is the only answer.... if you actually have to resort to burning picnic baskets then that's the trigger point that all is lost and there wont be anything left for you at the end of the day . ........I'd freeze paint balls and shoot them in the face till they realized my place wasn't fun anymore

It's been beyond frozen paint balls to the face for years. Game wardens have handed out rubber buck shot for years.

They're back within hours.

Let me tell you a funny story.

One of the "bear techs" is my first cousins oldest son.

Back around the first week of August, he was parked out in front of my Mom's house around 1:30 AM.

Big bear comes rolling in, he blasts it with rubber shot. Bear runs off across the creek

Neighbors come out. My brother in law comes out, and within 5 minutes, and before he even gets the shotgun in the back seat, another bear walks across the street 100 feet up the road from his pickup truck where they're all talking into my brother in laws yard.

This happened about 6 miles away a few minutes ago. I don't think they've even had enough time to clean up the scene yet.

Such a shame and a waste. They could've been killed and their vehicle is totaled because of bad management.

bear wreck 1.png

bear wreck 2.png

This is the latest article that I could find, and unfortunately, I'm sure the numbers have increased. There was another bear found on the same highway about 3 weeks ago. My cousin Johnny has a picture of it on his cell phone laying on the side of the road.

Anyway, back in 2010, there were 7 hit and killed in E. Ky. As I said, I'm sure the numbers have increased.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/12906582/7-bears-killed-by-vehicles-in-ky

WHITESBURG, Ky. (AP) -- Seven black bears have been killed in traffic crashes in eastern Kentucky since May, wildlife officials said. The most recent occurred in late July in Letcher County, when a bear was hit by a coal truck, The Mountain Eagle in Whitesburg reported.

"The bear came down the hill so fast that I wasn't even sure what I had seen," said Mendy Boggs, who was traveling behind a coal truck that struck the bear. "I thought it was a huge dog. I didn't know bears could move that fast. He was down the hill and in the road before I could even process what was going on."

It is not uncommon for bears to venture onto roads, especially if the animals have been trapped and relocated a few times, said Mark Marraccini, a spokesman with the Kentucky Division of Fish and Wildlife.

Wildlife officials were searching in early July for black bear that attacked a hiker in the Red River Gorge area, the first such bear attack on a human in Kentucky. The June 27 attack injured hiker Tim Scott of Springfield. Officials say if the bear is captured it will be euthanized.

Marraccini said several other bears have been involved in traffic accidents this year and survived the trauma. He said two bears this year have died from traffic accidents in Letcher County, three in Harlan County, and one each in Laurel and Pulaski counties. Marraccini said a total of seven bears died in Kentucky traffic accidents in 2009.

Boggs said after the driver hit the bear in Letcher County, he pulled off the road.

"The truck diver was really shaken up, too," said Boggs. "He didn't seem to have any idea what had happened at first. He thought a piece of tire may have hit my van but said that when he looked in his mirror he saw the bear."

https://lex18.com/news/covering-kentucky/2018/10/26/bear-hit-by-vehicle-on-ky-90-in-wayne-county/

Bear Hit By Vehicle On KY 90

WAYNE COUNTY, Ky, (LEX 18)– Crews responded to a vehicle versus pedestrian accident Thursday in Wayne County…only the pedestrian was a bear.
It happened just after 9 p.m. on East KY 90.
No word on the bear’s condition, but we’re told no humans were hurt.
Both fish and wildlife officials, and the Wayne County Sheriff’s Department responded.
This is the third bear hit by a vehicle on KY 90 since Sept. 30.

Anywhere from about 5 lbs up to ~600lbs.

The state says they average 250, but our dumpster diving bears get much bigger.

There is one in Rosspoint right now that I guarantee is a 600 lb bear. No doubt in my mind. I've seen him myself. I don't think two grown men could reach around him at the same time.

The state record was 480lbs, and I think the biggest on record anywhere was down the road in NC at 880 lbs.

So, just imagine hitting a riding lawn mower or an ATV sitting in the road. That would be about right.

. . . a total of seven bears died in Kentucky traffic accidents in 2009 . . .

Plus all the angry wounded ones they didn't count. Surely they often survive, as they are really tough.

My great-grandpa used to hunt bear in upstate NewYork, back in the late 1800's. I remember the rusty animal traps hanging in my grandma's basement in the '60s.

At the age of 11, I cocked a bear trap in the basement, by wedging scrap 2x4's under a workbench, and almost killed myself doing it. It was so large I had trouble getting it down off the wall. I wasn't heavy enough to just stand on the springs of that one, but I knew about levers and wedges. I cocked the springs one at a time, then pulled it out on the open floor by the chain.

I tried to set it off by tossing small chunks of wood at the plate. Too rusty! It just wouldn't trip.

Finally I climbed the stairs and tossed a hammer on it from about 5 feet up.
Ka-LAAANG-ANG-ANG!!!

Grandma was in the kitchen right above me, and she came screeching to the basement door with a big spoon & red jelly all over her apron. I had a 3rd heart attack after the Klang, & the Screetch, because I thought it was blood. :eek:

After that we were never allowed to play in the basement, and I was never allowed to go set traps out in the local woods for some reason. LOL

I'll let you decide for yourself meanstreak.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=...37Dts#imgrc=EjMd6SLxuAiUIM:&spf=1543335622627

This one was killed in Pennsylvania

huge-bear01-660x433.jpg

Yeah, a lot of outlets want you to think black bears are harmless little things. Always run away from humans.

They're not.

They're like an invasive destructive species.

A big lazy, dangerous and destructive invasive species.

The biggest black bear I have encountered in the woods was only 300-350lbs & I have to drive at least an hour (and more likely 2) to get close to an un-caged bear.

Now my 180 grain .30-30 bear loads would seem tiny in respect to the monster in that last photo.

Suddenly the .45-70 looks much more practical, if one had to live in bear country. But 500 grains please!
Those 325 grain slugs I am shooting seem slightly wanting of more lead.

In fact, 12ga slugs & grenades would be prefered!

Years ago I had a Winchester chambered in .375 H&H mag. I would have felt pretty good with that. What I remember most was the recoil. About three rounds at a time was all I cared for.

The .45-70 would definitely be a better choice than the .30-.30 for that brute.

Yeah, I hear a lot of people saying just use whatever you have available. 22. 9mm.

That might would work on a lot of them. But if you tangle with one of the bigger ones, I want field artillery. 12ga slug, etc.

About a week ago, my cousin was in the office to my shop around midnight when his dog started going crazy whining and sniffing at the bottom of the office door. The office is at the rear and inside of a warehouse. Once out of the office the dog was whining and sniffing at the outside door so my cousin opened it and the dog, a fairly large Dobermanish breed, ran to the dumpster and started barking. There my cousin witnessed a large black bear who was making his escape over a chain link fence. The weight of the bear damaged the fence in the process. The next morning he called FL Fish and Wildlife who made a report on the sighting and sent him this brochure. LINK My shop is in a fairly densely populated area although there are many large vacant wooded areas the bear may have come from...

Damn those bears are huge.

Just goes to show what poor management can do.

To few removed by hunters and too many feasting on garbage. We get an occasion giant here but as far as I know bears that big are not the norm.

I'm starting to think some junker cars with reinforced bumpers might not be that bad of a solution. Sounds like more are taken out by car than hunters.

Back