• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Going to get my smoke on!!

MikeD

I'm Your Huckleberry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
"Philanthropist"
One thing the cold weather is good for, firing up the smoker!! My cheapo unit maintains the nice low temp a lot better when its cold out.

2018-01-06 21.51.23.jpg

Halfa pork butt and half a brisket with a little rub on them. I'll be firing up the smoker first thing in the morning with a little apple wood. :cheers:

I have some wood from the old apple tree that used to be behind our old house.

I don't have a lot of it, but it's enough to do a few batches if I ever use them.

I couldn't tell you how many bushels of apples that we got off that old tree.

OH MY!!!!!!

Briskets and Butts are so incredibly delicious when done low and slow. What is your target cooked temperature? Water pan or not?

Brisket. My oh My. I remember when you could buy them whole for $1.79/lb but those days disappeared about five years ago. :(

We don't do the brisket often because of the price. I will freeze the other half of each for another weekend. There are only 3 of us at the house so this will be more than enough for a few meals.

I like to keep it around 200, no more than 250. Yes on the water pan and I usually add a beer or hard cider each time I fill it. Not sure if it helps but it doesn't hurt. ;-D

After it gets the outer crust I will mop it with apple cider vineger based concocktion to keep the outside moist.

Ooooohhhh....

Thanks for the reminder Mike! I bought two big racks of ribs yesterday all marinated. St Louis style pork ribs.

These will be excellent on the smoker.

I did some dry rubbed steaks on the propane barbecue tonite with apple wood chips. Yum!

Well, already ran out of gas with the first tank. Stole one from the grill, lets see how long that lasts.

With the cold I can barely keep the temp at 150 with the burner on high. It might be too cold out. Definitely going to be low and slow today.

low temp and slow cook is better anyway.

I know that you didn't ask, and it's a slightly different topic, but I'm going to tell you how to roast the most tender and juicy wild turkey that you can imagine.

Soak it in buttermilk overnight in the fridge.

When you get it out and get ready to slow roast it, get a little tub of (*your favorite flavor potato chip dip--I like the French onion dip for this)

Slather the dip all over the turkey and then put in a wrap. If cooking over fire, use Reynolds wrap. If cooking in the oven you can use the standard plasticky stuff.

Roast as you normally would and when it is done, you'll have a feast fit for a king.

I know that you didn't ask, and it's a slightly different topic, but I'm going to tell you how to roast the most tender and juicy wild turkey that you can imagine.

When you get it out and get ready to slow roast it, get a little tub of (*your favorite flavor potato chip dip--I like the French onion dip for this)

Slather the dip all over the turkey and then put in a wrap. If cooking over fire, use Reynolds wrap. If cooking in the oven you can use the standard plasticky stuff.

Roast as you normally would and when it is done, you'll have a feast fit for a king.

I'll have to remember that for the next turkey I get.

Very nice MikeD. I just picked up a new smoker but I need to cook it at full temp with nothing in it for 3 hours first and the 0 degrees temps haven't let me. You have inspired me to get that done and get cooking. The new one is a lot bigger than my old Brinkman. I made a lot of good food on the old one before it rusted up on me.

Their must be something to buttermilk. I soak wings in buttermilk for a day before cooking them.

MikeD~

If you get the first hours in on a smoker with wood smoke, and get the smoke ring into the meat, anything after that can be done in the oven until it reaches 195-degrees for pork butt. And 202-205 for brisket. Smoke flavor stops absorbing when the meat gets to about 120 degrees. An oven can get the rest done quite nicely and you won't know the difference in flavor.

Good looking food brother.

When you BBQ in cold weather you simply have to put some insulation around the smoker/stove/grill.

It doesn't have to be fancy to be effective. Ya got to get it up to 450 before even cardboard ignites.

A Disposable insulation blanket made from Reynolds Wrap and whatever can easy get you from 150 to 250.

Back