• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Going to the range tomorrow

Pawpaw

.30-06
Supporter
To sight in my new Colt LE901-16S. :)

I installed a CMC 3.5 lb trigger, Battle Arms ambi safety, a rail adaper for my Harris bipod, and capped it off with my Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP on top. :cool: Oh yea, and a padded Viking Tactical 2-point sling to hold all that weight.

I'm hoping it's accurate enough to fill the SAPR role.

LE901-16S_zpsd158034a.jpg

Holy Lord, that scope may be a bit overkill. Lol but,it does look like a seriously serious setup.

Thanks OM!

That scope might be overkill for a young pup, but for an old guy that's developing cataracts, too much is just right! Besides, with a rifle scope like that, who needs a spotting scope? :D

The scope is attached with a ADM Recon-H QD mount, so I can pop it off for close work and put it back on without disturbing the zero very much.

I haven't done it yet, but it can't be hard. Swap the buffer & spring, pin the adapter to the new upper, drop the adapter in the lower's magwell as you put upper & lower together.

Some are saying the 5.56 buffer and spring change is only necessary for full auto operation. Of course, I don't have that option. :(

Last edited:
Well I wasn't able to do very well with the rifle this morning. The temps were only in the 50's which wouldn't have been bad without the gusty headwind I was trying to shoot into. It seemed like on most shots a gust hit and shook me or the rifle. If a gust didn't hit, it was just be being unstable. Very frustrating.

I got it close to zeroed and then quit.

This was the best group I could put down with Federal GMM 168 gr. I'm convinced this is a sub-MOA rifle, but today the shooter wasn't. :mad:

This is 5 rounds from 100 yards.

Target2.jpg

Last edited:
Well I wasn't able to do very well with the rifle this morning. The temps were only in the 50's which wouldn't have been bad without the gusty headwind I was trying to shoot into. It seemed like on most shots a gust hit and shook me or the rifle. If a gust didn't hit, it was just be being unstable. Very frustrating.

This was the best group I could put down with Federal GMM 168 gr. I'm convinced this is a sub-MOA rifle, but today the shooter wasn't. :mad:

View attachment 7493

@Pawpaw ,

Just a thought, you might have better luck with some lighter rounds. Your barrel has a 1:12" twist which might not be able to fully stabilize the 168 grainers. It should do well with 145-150 grain projos. Sierra makes a 150 grain Matchking if you reload. If not, there are other factory match loads available. PRVI makes some decent practice ammo if you want something a little cheaper to use for working your optics, etc...

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...zan+.308+FMJ+145grn+20rd+White+Box&groupid=26

That is entirely possible. All of the accuracy tests for the LE901 I can find on the internet have been done with this ammo at 100 yards. For longer distances, they don't mention the ammo, which leads one to assume it's the same, but that ain't necessarily so.

Still, I can tell when I release a good shot and there were precious few of those today. I'm not very experienced shooting from a bipod. I might do better from my usual front rest & rear bag.

View attachment 7493
I think it looks good considering it's the first time you shot it, you don't know what it likes yet, it's not all settled in yet either so for a brand new gun, unknown ammo preference.....I like it. If shot Hornady 75 grain match from my AR first ammo Irobably would have sold the rifle lol, your not far off moa

Yesterday I took the rifle back out to fine tune the zero and test various ammunition to see what it likes.

I did find one that shows promise this is a 100 yard 3-shot group that I measure right at 1/4" center to center.

Target.jpg

Then things went to hell.

On both range trips, I had some minor trouble getting rounds to chamber... sometimes on the first round in the mag & sometimes after a shot. About halfway through my testing, I dropped the bolt on the 1st round & when I pulled the trigger, I only got a weak "click. I tried to pull the charging handle back, but it was stuck. It took banging on the charging handle with a rubber mallet to get the bolt open. This was with Fiocchi ammo. I could not find anything amiss with the round. I reinserted the magazine and chambered round 2 which fired normally. On round 3, I again got the weak "click" and the bolt was stuck again.

I had two more Fiocchi loads to test, but I decided to skip them and continue testing. A short time later, it happened again. This time on the 1st round of Hornady ammo.

I was so pissed I was cross-eyed. It's a good thing I didn't have access to any C4! I packed everything up and went home.

Once home, I broke the rifle down and examined the bolt, carrier, & receiver. I can see no evidence of rubbing, much less binding.

I guess I'll be calling Colt in the morning to try to get an RMA.

Last edited:
Back