• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

A friend of mine knows I like old trucks and lever guns so he sent me this. I wish I had skills.

View attachment 22140

That is awesome!

Long ago and far away there was an America where thousands upon thousands of Americans left lever guns and shotguns hanging in their back glass rifle rack, that was before there were thieving meth heads and tantrum throwing whiny ass liberals that ruined it for everybody...... :) I miss that America!

Good morning Folks. It's another warm & lovely day of Indigenous People's Summer here in the SJV.

More bags of used shells keep popping out of corners of my garage, and I now estimate I have over 400 used shot shells, and 1500 used brass. I am still on a round-robin campaign to catch up on almost 2 years of not reloading my empty brass. I've been sorting and cleaning way into the night, all week.

I've cleaned and decapped, sized, & dressed
450 .45 acps,
180 .308s,
120 .30-30s,
300 .223s,
100 .45-70s,
100 .38s.

I've also sorted and tumbled 200 9mm and 140 .380s.

Nothing is powdered, but 200 rounds of .223 are primed & waiting for lead I need to buy. Nothing else is primed yet.

I need lead in every caliber except .308 and .45-70, but I still have 20 lbs of shot, and can cast more .38s.

Plus I have 12g and 16g slug molds I haven't tried. I have about 300 rounds of new brass as well. Premium stuff for target and defense.

Time to go dig in the garage some more. I know I have empty brass I haven't discovered yet.

My fingers are sore but my hands haven't been idle.

You all keep Rocking in the Free World while it still exists.

That is awesome!

Long ago and far away there was an America where thousands upon thousands of Americans left lever guns and shotguns hanging in their back glass rifle rack, that was before there were thieving meth heads and tantrum throwing whiny ass liberals that ruined it for everybody...... :) I miss that America!
I remember those days well. We gave it no thought, there plenty of pickups in the school lot sporting rifle racks in their back windows. None were locked and all had a rifle, shotgun, or both. So, what is so different in today's world ? The biggest difference I can think of is a direct result of increased liberalism.

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

@hombre243
I was asking if I should soak range brass in a mason jar of urine to remove crud. Problem is the deer would smell the bullet coming before you fired it.

How's the borg-leg this AM? Mine are giving me pain from long hours at the bench. Plus I think the barometer has dropped.

Whenever the weather changes I remember crashing my Lambretta. I only suffered a lot of pain and no blood or displaced fracture, but if I'd hit my leg harder (or on something like a steel signpost) I could have lost a leg. I used to think about that crash whenever I saw my buddy Kevin, who had lost his leg high diving. Now that I'm old I feel it whenever the barometer moves.

I have crashed at least 5 of 7 motorcycles, & I still suffer several old sports injuries that had all "healed" 10, 20, 30, 40 ,50 years ago. What goes around comes around.

I should be out riding the bike, but duty calls. My daily cleaning and dressing of brass, plus I washed the truck and took the Mrs shopping Sunday. I'm staring at another 100 rounds that needs dressing, right where I gave up about midnight.

There's another 150 rounds in the tumbler, lots undressed, nothing powdered, and I haven't touched a single shot shell.

This is the price I pay for not reloading all year long. Marathon industry.

I need to go shop for .44mag ammo, dies and lead. I have about 6 rounds left for the Blackhawk.

Also I'm working on an idea for a little forge, where I can cast lead and work small parts outdoors.
I just have too much paint, oil etc in my garage and I'm nervous to light a torch indoors.

It's gonna be a lovely day here with 70's and light overcast. Nice day to go shooting if I had some ammo loaded.
Hi-Ho Hi-Ho it's to the press I go . . .

I remember those days well. We gave it no thought, there plenty of pickups in the school lot sporting rifle racks in their back windows. None were locked and all had a rifle, shotgun, or both. So, what is so different in today's world ? The biggest difference I can think of is a direct result of increased liberalism.

This was never the case where I grew up, as we generally lived on the base, or in the base housing, until I was 17.
Also lived in some shady neighborhoods while we were waiting to get housing. People probably had guns, but nobody waved them.

I went past the Indian/BMW dealer yesterday, and the new bikes are amazing. But I own a glitz bike, and I'm just gonna fix it for now. I should buy a utility bike, that doesn't need much polish or much gas. Just for riding to the corner store and such. Maybe an e-bike? Possibly . . . The Indian Scout looks interesting.

The Nomad normally gets 30 to 45 mpg, which barely beats my old Camry. I'll bet the new F-150 does as well.

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

@hombre243
I was asking if I should soak range brass in a mason jar of urine to remove crud. Problem is the deer would smell the bullet coming before you fired it. . . .

It depends how hard you shake it. The jar I mean. :nofibn: If you use buck urine and shave some bark off the trees, do a few grunts and kick some leaves, theyll come huntin you. Just don't start giggling or you'll blow it.

Yeah, hang on . . . I got a fifth of aged buck urine around here somewhere.

Ooooof time to relax from another day of brass cleaning purgatory. Every bit is now cleaned, and, (except for .380 and 9mm) it's all decapped and dressed and degreased, so ready to trim and prime. Gonna take the last 100 rounds out of the tumbler now.

I tumble twice, but not too hard. Once before decapping and again after pocket and flash hole dressing, to remove lube and shine them up a bit more.

Good morning.. -3 C ( 26 F ) The snow is slowly melting away :) Yippee !!

Our Police is testing and probably slowly incorporating the taser into the arsenal of tools. Finally ! The big questions are how it works ( the batteries ) in cold and how effective it is on thick clothing. Previous options have been the baton, pepper spray and the pistol ( SIG P225, P226, P228, P229, P239 and the SG 552 rifle )

A new service pistol is also on the way in. They have tested 12 different models / brands and a contract will be given under 2020. I have no clue what type of pistols they have been tested. The armed forces have as i have said before, the Glock 17.

I also read this today:

So much for the #Resistance! While all eyes were on impeachment hearing, House re-authorized PATRIOT Act

House Democrats have slipped an unqualified renewal of the draconian PATRIOT Act into an emergency funding bill – voting near-unanimously for sweeping surveillance carte blanche that was the basis for the notorious NSA program.

Last edited:
So, what is so different in today's world ?

Political correctness. Lawyers/the legal system, not enough boot to ass when people really need it (refer back to the start of the sentence and read back through it), drugs has undoubtedly caused a huge change in the way we do things. Not enough God. Internet/lack of real parenting.

Those are some of the major factors meanstreak.

Hey You guys . . .
I keep digging and I keep finding more empty brass to clean. I discovered another 60 shells of .223 and .45-70 mixed in with the good ammo. I've got 200 rounds of .223 primed & ready, but no bullets!

I must go shopping now.

I did my first round of .45-70 reloads today. :D
Very successful except I found my "universal" loading block won't fit.
Still, I think this will be the easiest caliber to reload, if the most expensive.
No bottleneck, no funnel required, they stand up without a loading block, & easy to grab with my fat fingers.
I found it easy to get the right crimp and COAL.

IMHO, much easier than .30-30s

Also my first time using 3031 powder today. I did 20 test rounds of .45-70 at different loads, and I might get to shoot them Friday.
I won't go unless I get some .308 loaded too, but that's next. 175 rounds are all cleaned and primed.

Hopefully I'll do some .308 tonight.
I still have 200 rounds of new .45-70 brass I haven't touched. Also 100 rounds of new premium .223 brass, and 100 rounds new .45ACP brass. I forgot about buying all this as it was well over a year ago, in the midst of our remodeling. I'll need a lot more lead and powder for this!

Good morning! Well now the afternoon is better. Temps above 60F and I'm riding!

intro-wildlife.jpg

Hey You guys . . .
I keep digging and I keep finding more empty brass to clean. I discovered another 60 shells of .223 and .45-70 mixed in with the good ammo. I've got 200 rounds of .223 primed & ready, but no bullets!

I must go shopping now.

I did my first round of .45-70 reloads today. :D
Very successful except I found my "universal" loading block won't fit.
Still, I think this will be the easiest caliber to reload, if the most expensive.
No bottleneck, no funnel required, they stand up without a loading block, & easy to grab with my fat fingers.
I found it easy to get the right crimp and COAL.

IMHO, much easier than .30-30s

Also my first time using 3031 powder today. I did 20 test rounds of .45-70 at different loads, and I might get to shoot them Friday.
I won't go unless I get some .308 loaded too, but that's next. 175 rounds are all cleaned and primed.

Hopefully I'll do some .308 tonight.
I still have 200 rounds of new .45-70 brass I haven't touched. Also 100 rounds of new premium .223 brass, and 100 rounds new .45ACP brass. I forgot about buying all this as it was well over a year ago, in the midst of our remodeling. I'll need a lot more lead and powder for this!

Cadd, here's how I keep my 223 brass clean: Caldwell Brass catcher.

Bear Creek 223 Wylde.JPG

Cadd, here's how I keep my 223 brass clean: Caldwell Brass catcher.

Mine usually falls on the bench and I have a carpet there. But if you shoot it and it sits around without being reloaded it tends to get dingy.

Now pistol ammo just goes everywhere if I'm shooting the automatics. I got a boatload of freaking empty pistol ammo to reload but I'm mostly concerned about .308 and .45-70 which are in very short supply in my cabinet. I also have a boatload of .30-30s to do. This is my chance to come up with a successful .30-30 load as so far I have been a failure.

I also discovered yet another 150 shells of .223. This was my last go around and there were 10 hot loads where I cratered primers and cracked the cases. The rest all look loadable.

I'm going to try and get reliable performance in the Savage with some Milder pressures.

As for the Ruger, I still have not bought an appropriate rifle scope for it. I'm going to go buy some dies today and maybe I'll see something that catches my eye.

Back