• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

I’ve got the motorcycle about half cleaned up and polished, and I’m getting ready to takeoff the pipes & engine cover to reconfigure the clutch.

I also moved a lot of heavy shit around yesterday, did some welding, made a pizza, and conked out early.

I woke up at two in the morning. *yawn*

My buddy came over yesterday to weld on his grinder stand project.

Here I am sleeving two pieces of pipe together, and this is the first time I have arc welded with a stick since 1973. I have done lots of welding with oxy acetylene torches and some welding with a MIG torch (including doing some spray arc) but zero stick.

It’s pretty ugly at this point, and I’m not surprised. It took me a while to figure out how to set the welder up, as I have only done TIG with it so far.

At least I remembered to flip the polarity right off but I forgot to flip the switch from TIG to SMAW because on this welder it’s labeled MMA(?)

I used a brand-new pack of 6013 rods from Harbor freight. I don’t have enough experience to judge the quality of the rods as far as how they weld, but it seems to be OK if a bit sluggish on penetration.
F4B42D45-379B-4C12-BE75-EC945DDABBB1.jpeg

On the right, I tacked it down hot (130 amps) then turned down the heat. (95 amps) Then I had a bad start as there wasn’t quite enough heat. Once I turned it back up to 110 Amps I was able to make a reasonable bead.

I should’ve had my buddy lay this thing down and roll it on the bench while I did it, But this is kind of a practice welding project and I didn’t necessarily wanna do it the very easiest way.

I did some welding (not shown) out of position, on purpose, just for practice and experimental reasons. Overhead with stick is interesting…

I’m not showing you everything today. I’m only showing you the very first tack & bead of welding that I’ve done with a stick in approximately 50 years.

We both practiced making bubblegum and grinding it back out. LOL
Anyhow I’m still not rested and in spite of drinking 2 cups of tea I’m gonna fall back asleep.

I’ll probably weld on this a little bit today, but tomorrow we’re gonna go fishing again I need to get the boat ready.

Good morning everyone. This morning the sky is crystal clear, the wind is very light <5mph, and the temp is 37. A bit chilly, but will warm up nicely by noon.

The last couple of days I have gotten a fair amount of yard work accomplished. I used to enjoy it, but not so much anymore. I guess it is good exercise though.

You all have a great day and stay vigilant.

Good morning men.

Ernst, we had some light snow last week, or late week before. The biggest snow that I can ever recall was April 17, 1986 or '87. We got over 3 feet dumped on us. It was so deep and wet, the men of our neighborhood gathered up and shoveled snow off of our rooftops because they were popping and cracking so bad.

Meanstreak, I understand about not enjoying chores and yard work. The important word in that last sentence is "work".

Hey guys,

Late afternoon here. Been a decent day. Little chilly for this time of year but it's not raining so I'll take it!!

I just brought my other obsession home from a 6 week parade to three different shops for warranty work, servicing and upgrades. After a 9 day trip to Vancouver Island keeping to off-road for most of the trip I beat the stock front suspension to pulp. I literally rode her hard and put the her away wet...splooging fork oil everywhere.

So, as a result I had a full custom suspension installed (K-Tech front & Nitron rear). I plan on doing more trips like the last one, only longer and rougher. Custom suspension is not cheap I found out...LOL!

I don't have a good shot of the rear set up yet but it's a heavy-duty, fully adjustable gas system from Nitron in the UK.

20220413_193935.jpg

I also had the stock low front fender removed and installed an aftermarket high fender kit from Camel ADV. The low fender affords more protection but when in really muddy conditions, especially sticky clay it can actually jam the front wheel tight. There are reports of guys going over the handlebars on their ADV bikes due to a clogged up front fender.

20220413_195426.jpg

This is what it looked like before the front fender change.
IMG_1272.jpg

If you'd asked even 10 years ago if I thought I'd ever see the 'need' to own a 1000cc dirt bike I would have laughed you out the door. All I can say now is wow! What a machine!

Despite the stock suspension shortcomings, the bike is extremely capable off-road and has a ridiculous amount of ground clearance and rear wheel travel. And, of course it's got that predictable Honda power delivery and torque.

NET - IMG_1277.jpg

NET - KVR PRINCETON EASTBOUND 2020.jpg

20210912_144741.jpg

IMG_1259.jpg

IMG_1264.jpg

Just a few of the places I've been with bike. The less pavement, the better I like it!

Sorry, my pics aren't the best. The photographer refuses to get on the back and ride with me, every time I ask her it's a firm 'Heck no!"

I have been wanting an all terrain street legal dirt bike for a long time.

Very envious for sure.

Until then, I have the ATV. Even if it isn't exactly street legal, everyone around here rides on or off road with them. Long as we avoid driving around the police stations with any frequency. They tend to frown on that because it makes them look bad.

But, you see ATV's on the blacktop here all the time and nobody even blinks usually.

If you'd asked even 10 years ago if I thought I'd ever see the 'need' to own a 1000cc dirt bike I would have laughed you out the door. All I can say now is wow! What a machine!

Despite the stock suspension shortcomings, the bike is extremely capable off-road and has a ridiculous amount of ground clearance and rear wheel travel. And, of course it's got that predictable Honda power delivery and torque.

I just did a bunch of work on my XL350R bought NEW in 1985. Tires, tubes, fork seals, gaiters, put a HF ammo box on the back bolted to the rack. Yes, it's almost 37 years old. :) Supertrapp, 48T vs 40T rear sprocket, HD clutch springs, up a few sizes on the jets done when I first got it. Gel battery a few years ago (money well spent). Battery powers the horn and lights except for the headlight which runs off a lighting coil (engine has to be running). Kick-start only but it IS street-legal with a top speed of about 70mph--idles in first (6speed) at walking speed. I do need to ride it more but open spaces to ride are quickly being developed... :(

xl350a.jpg
xl350b.jpg

Good morning Mossberg Owners. ...
I did some welding out of position, on purpose, just for practice and experimental reasons. Overhead with stick is interesting…

Good morning [if you are in California], Mossies.

Nothing exciting here, but I did get a great gift from Cadd yesterday morning. And I want to say Thank You!

I've been doing more cooking lately and sometimes I get a few ingredients I'm not sure how to prepare just right.
So now if something come out sub-standard [indigestible?] I'll explain,
"I just tried something new for practice and experimental reasons."

As long as no death or long term hospitalization is involved, that may keep me out of jail. Thanx, Cadd.

I just did a bunch of work on my XL350R bought NEW in 1985. Tires, tubes, fork seals, gaiters, put a HF ammo box on the back bolted to the rack. Yes, it's almost 37 years old. :) Supertrapp, 48T vs 40T rear sprocket, HD clutch springs, up a few sizes on the jets done when I first got it. Gel battery a few years ago (money well spent). Battery powers the horn and lights except for the headlight which runs off a lighting coil (engine has to be running). Kick-start only but it IS street-legal with a top speed of about 70mph--idles in first (6speed) at walking speed. I do need to ride it more but open spaces to ride are quickly being developed... :(

View attachment 27105
View attachment 27106
Love those XL's Bobster. Your bike looks like it's in fantastic shape.

Good morning. I was awakened at 6:15 to the sound of thunder and light rain against the bedroom window. We were north of the main cell by about 5 miles and just had a nice steady rain for 3 hours as the storms marched by, never getting any closer. The rain was needed and appreciated.

Those are a couple of nice looking bikes fellas. I have never had a dirt bike, but I certainly appreciate them.

Ya'll have a great day.

Good morning.

Happy Easter to all of you as well.

iu

A Happy Easter to all.

Good Friday was spent trying to catch fish for dinner, but they were all too small to keep.

It was a lovely day at the lake nonetheless.
D86ECDAA-B05C-4C16-9C3C-2A30F1D2F2F0.jpeg
It was mostly calm and sunny, and lots of wildlife played in Deer Creek.
72DF6359-4F46-490A-B958-DAC38BD55ADE.jpeg
Turtles were swimming and sunning, schools of shad haunted our shadow, coyotes howled and barked, geese and ducks were fishing up shad, and golden eagles flew air cover all day.

We got tired of bass fishing, so I put my feet up and we trolled for trout, but with few results.
DD840456-BE6E-4CBB-BE4C-146E31421EDB.jpeg
With such a lovely day it was impossible to care, but 9 hours out made it exhausting. I put the boat on the charger, cooked some leftovers for dinner, and conked out early.

At 2:30AM rain woke me, and I ran outside in my nightclothes to throw a tarp over the boat, switched the battery charger, and went back to bed.

It rained on and off all night. Everything was soaked, & after the afternoon sun finally started up I spent some effort cleaning up the boat so it wouldn’t get moldy. I only have one good charger, and 8 batteries to keep up. (Doesn’t count batteries in vehicles that recharge themselves.) Anyhow I am playing charge-the-batteries for about two days here until they are all topped up.

Being Easter, I will do no work past swapping the charger clips and cooking dinner. First I have about 300 fish to feed. Most all are always swimming about, but a few of them only come out at feeding time.
A663EF7F-F2E6-467D-A0EE-A29FD383CD35.jpeg

Best wishes for a peaceful Easter, my friends.

Good morning to all of you.

Easter is one of those days I reflect on things and count my blessings. So yesterday, while reading posts here I got to wondering , what happened to Hombre243, Elbert Garrett, Djcala, Water Monkey,and Fellman, just to name a few.

I hope each and everyone of them are doing well and are just busy. There are more, but I can't think of them right off hand.

To the rest of yous, have a great day and be thankful.

I met up with Djcala a while back, but was probably nearly a year ago. We spent a few hours talking and stuff and he was doing well then. Sadly, I haven't heard from him since, but he was doing well.

I had messaged fellman around Christmas asking how he was, but hadn't heard back from him unfortunately.

I messaged DJ recently (couple weeks ago) and haven't heard back.

I'm guessing Raul is (aka Mr. W. Monkey) probably just busy with family and work since fleeing communist NY.

Hombre's health was a little tenuous I understand...hope he's alright.

Haven't heard anything from Elbert or Fellman.

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

It's shaping up to be a lovely day. I will change fishwater and maybe do some welding. First I will finish the work on my fishing rod.

I'm going to post another thread about that in the Fishing room.

I might get my buddy Bob out to the shooting range this week. It's been a long time.

Back