• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Good morning

Good morning y'all.

Yesterday was the warmest day I've seen in a long time. I literally broke out in sweat for the first time since last year.

Had to work on the solar system yesterday. Been having issues for a while now, but was able to troubleshoot it and is working properly now.

I thought I had a bad charge controller, but that turned out to be incorrect. It was the + lead to the battery bank messing up internally somehow, but since I had purchased a new MPPT charge controller, I replaced the old PWM controller that had been on it since 2014.

The main advantage of the new controller are several fold. But to not waste half the morning typing and your time reading if you have made it this far, the new charge controller allowed me to set the charger to only come on when the voltage drops below 12.5v (I can program it a little lower if I need to) and turn off at 13.1v.

Since we're not up there using it everyday, this should be much better for the battery banks not being charged daily and constantly, allowing them some time between cycles when nothing is happening to be idle and only charging when it really needs it.

It also has a load shut off to where the unit will automatically turn off at 11.5v That is even lower than I would've chosen personally (I would've chosen 11.8v) but that was the highest setting that it offered to choose from.

So, all in all, yesterday was a success, even if I did have to take the entire system apart piece by piece to find the culprit.

After sitting all winter long (and it was a cold winter too--I don't believe it got out of the 20's the entire month of january), the voltage on the battery bank was 11.7v when I first got there. This is probably not surprising for being sitting in an unheated building without being charged the entire winter.

After only about 30 minutes of being charged, the voltage had already climbed to 12.5v so it's certainly charging much faster and better than before. I'm going back later this evening to make sure that it turns off when it reaches 13.1v like it's supposed to just to make sure that it's working properly.

But, so far, I'm really liking the options of the new mppt controller and I think it's going to be much better overall.

Good morning Mossberg Owners.

We have had some unexpected rains here and they were quite welcome but it’s been blustery and cool.

Yesterday at warmed up and I went out bicycle shopping. My intention was to buy a new three speed bicycle but you can’t find them. Not a single bicycle shop had one.

Anyhow I ended up buying an old beater bike just because it had the correct three speed hub. Otherwise it’s pretty crusty and will need plenty of spit and polish.

It’s not at all the style of bicycle that I want and I am going to end up putting something together from parts.
But it was cheap and the bearings are still all good and the hub works great.
AB74F5BC-BA75-4C97-86EC-B1F6C3EE7D86.jpeg

E354841C-F4BA-4E46-9931-E0AB09BEA41C.jpeg

Tires rotten, seats rotten, And enough rust to make it crusty around the edges.

Basically I bought the whole bike to get this Sturmey-Archer hub with three speeds and a coaster brake.
D59C9821-3B1D-44DF-928B-4DB743451771.jpeg

Good morning,

I'm not sure what good this will do knowing her but here's an email I wrote to Dianne Feinstein this morning.

Good day,

I appreciate you taking the time to write me a reply, however I do have some additional concerns. Are you familiar with the 18th Amendment to the United States Constitution? I feel that the story is relevant here. The 18th Amendment was ratified in 1919 and famously banned the production and sale of alcohol nationwide beginning in 1920.

Throughout the early 20th century a rising temperance movement petitioned the government to move to limit the consumption of alcohol. This was largely a fringe minority and did not represent the views of the majority of citizens, however they were a very vocal movement and gained recognition and influence well beyond their size. The pressure they put on local and federal governments got laws limiting alcohol passed in numerous states across the country, and eventually the federal government caved to their demands. Instead of drafting simple legislation however, the federal government drafted and passed a constitutional amendment that didn't simply limit the consumption of alcohol, it banned the production and sale across the board nationwide. Bear in mind that the Democratic Party wishes to achieve a similar result with firearms today.

Think of this from an economic standpoint. This product (alcohol) is in widespread use across the country, and has considerable market demand. Suddenly, it is wholly banned across the board by the federal government. This demand does not decrease, yet the government has reduced the supply to zero. This discrepancy in supply and demand causes the value of the product to increase dramatically, and the only way to acquire said product is illegal.

This "supply vacuum" of the 1920s created absolutely picture-perfect conditions for organized criminals to rise to prominence. A lucrative black market sprang up for alcohol within a matter of months, and mobs and Mafias became powerful forces in cities across the nation on a scale never before seen in American history. The power and influence wielded by notorious gangsters such as Al Capone allowed them to keep some of America's largest cities under their thumb for nearly a decade, and violent crime ran rampant on a scale never seen before. Combating this issue led to the militarization of police on a national scale, and federal forces were even called in on several occasions.

Due to black market related crime created by the 18th Amendment the Federal Government reversed its stance in 1933, but the damage had been done. The prohibition era marked the beginning of organized crime in America, and our country has never fully recovered. Even today the crime created by a government ban continues to ravage communities across the US, especially in California. The 21st century offers a new challenge regarding this issue, as unsecured borders make us not only vulnerable to domestic gangs and mafias but foreign cartels as well.

Please explain to myself and the good citizens of California and the United States of America- how will this ban be different?

Thank you for your consideration,

Seth Russell Crawford,
US Citizen

Seth, US Citizen

Not meaning to be TOO critical, but what issue is your letter addressing? Maybe I missed something in a previous post?

I am definitely NOT an English major but I did get A's in all my "communications" type courses through college. A basic letter should have an intro paragraph on the points you are going to make, a paragraph on each point and a summary paragraph at the end. Concise is the point here because TOO wordy and/or long and it will be skipped over. I shouldn't talk as I can be quite verbose, but I'm also a great listener and quite adept at reading the written word. ;)

Not meaning to be TOO critical, but what issue is your letter addressing? Maybe I missed something in a previous post?

I am definitely NOT an English major but I did get A's in all my "communications" type courses through college. A basic letter should have an intro paragraph on the points you are going to make, a paragraph on each point and a summary paragraph at the end. Concise is the point here because TOO wordy and/or long and it will be skipped over. I shouldn't talk as I can be quite verbose, but I'm also a great listener and quite adept at reading the written word. ;)
This was to address Biden's current/planned gun control push, sorry I should've been more specific. I should also specify that this is not the first email I've sent, this is in response to a reply I received from her office to another email I sent through another gun rights site, I don't remember who. Hence the more conversational structure.

Frankenstein has not been doing well. I read an article the other day where the dems thought she was no longer mentally competent to serve and had asked her to resign. Too sad they didn't ask her to resign when her chinese spy chauffer was caught and had been driving around miss daisy for years.

I have always questioned that, but, then I can't help but to think about biden shaking hands and waving at people that doesn't exist. Pelosi going on her unintelligible drunk rants. Even that one black woman who likes to wear cowboy hats doesn't seem all that intelligent to me.

Don't even get me started about Hank Johnson that thought that the island of guam was going to turn over because too many people were on the island.

maxine waters. Elizabeth warren.

The list is just too long and exhausting.

Hey you guys. It’s 8pm on the West Coast.

I spent all day today working on my used bicycle and so far I only had one problem. I don’t have the proper puller to disassemble the crankshaft.

There might be a bike shop open tomorrow where I can buy one, But I don’t think I’ll find it at Walmart.

I’ve never had a bike with aluminum wheels before.

242A7ECE-2179-4804-8340-8D5CAEC483A2.jpeg

The interesting thing is that the cranks are not alloy, but are cast steel.

This bike is totally black except for the green Manhattan logos. The handlebars and neck and cranks are all painted black. All the hardware is black too. This bike didn’t have a speck of chrome on it.

665E2EF7-C14E-4DF3-9C7F-E18E066CAEEE.jpeg
The weather here continues to be lovely. Warm, mild and Sunny.

I hope you all have a nice evening.

Hey you guys. It’s 8pm on the West Coast.

I spent all day today working on my used bicycle and so far I only had one problem. I don’t have the proper puller to disassemble the crankshaft.

There might be a bike shop open tomorrow where I can buy one, But I don’t think I’ll find it at Walmart.

I’ve never had a bike with aluminum wheels before.

View attachment 27153

The interesting thing is that the cranks are not alloy, but are cast steel.

This bike is totally black except for the green Manhattan logos. The handlebars and neck and cranks are all painted black. All the hardware is black too. This bike didn’t have a speck of chrome on it.

View attachment 27154
The weather here continues to be lovely. Warm, mild and Sunny.

I hope you all have a nice evening.
is that rim cracked all the way up to the spoke nipple, under the sticker?

Good morning,

I'm not sure what good this will do knowing her but here's an email I wrote to Dianne Feinstein this morning.

Good day,

I appreciate you taking the time to write me a reply, however I do have some additional concerns. Are you familiar with the 18th Amendment to the United States Constitution? I feel that the story is relevant here. The 18th Amendment was ratified in 1919 and famously banned the production and sale of alcohol nationwide beginning in 1920.

Throughout the early 20th century a rising temperance movement petitioned the government to move to limit the consumption of alcohol. This was largely a fringe minority and did not represent the views of the majority of citizens, however they were a very vocal movement and gained recognition and influence well beyond their size. The pressure they put on local and federal governments got laws limiting alcohol passed in numerous states across the country, and eventually the federal government caved to their demands. Instead of drafting simple legislation however, the federal government drafted and passed a constitutional amendment that didn't simply limit the consumption of alcohol, it banned the production and sale across the board nationwide. Bear in mind that the Democratic Party wishes to achieve a similar result with firearms today.

Think of this from an economic standpoint. This product (alcohol) is in widespread use across the country, and has considerable market demand. Suddenly, it is wholly banned across the board by the federal government. This demand does not decrease, yet the government has reduced the supply to zero. This discrepancy in supply and demand causes the value of the product to increase dramatically, and the only way to acquire said product is illegal.

This "supply vacuum" of the 1920s created absolutely picture-perfect conditions for organized criminals to rise to prominence. A lucrative black market sprang up for alcohol within a matter of months, and mobs and Mafias became powerful forces in cities across the nation on a scale never before seen in American history. The power and influence wielded by notorious gangsters such as Al Capone allowed them to keep some of America's largest cities under their thumb for nearly a decade, and violent crime ran rampant on a scale never seen before. Combating this issue led to the militarization of police on a national scale, and federal forces were even called in on several occasions.

Due to black market related crime created by the 18th Amendment the Federal Government reversed its stance in 1933, but the damage had been done. The prohibition era marked the beginning of organized crime in America, and our country has never fully recovered. Even today the crime created by a government ban continues to ravage communities across the US, especially in California. The 21st century offers a new challenge regarding this issue, as unsecured borders make us not only vulnerable to domestic gangs and mafias but foreign cartels as well.

Please explain to myself and the good citizens of California and the United States of America- how will this ban be different?

Seth Russell Crawford,
US Citizen
Unlike @Bobster aka "the wet blanket" I for one, applaud your efforts young man! Pay no attention to crusty ol' Uncle Bob ok???:lol:

Too few of us bother to write the letters or emails, simply because we figure they won't be read anyway. Which is probably true but at least when the hammer falls you can know that you at least tried.

Good morning fellas. 61 and cloudy this morning. Rain showers and thunderstorms made their way through last night, and we still have some lingering showers. From the forecast we have reached our high for the day and the temperature will drop very slowly all day and into the night. The good news is that the low will be about 50 tonight.

Ya'll have a great day.

Good morning Mossberg Owners. It looks like it’s going to be another warm sunny day here. There’s still a little wetness from the rain shower but it is drying up.

I spent all of yesterday working on the bicycle and it’s coming along pretty well. I thought all the bearings in it were destroyed. It turns out that they are in ok shape but this thing had laid in the mud or something. Maybe it was recovered from a canal.

Anyhow she’s got some miles on her but I was able to save the chain. The sprockets look good. Pedal bearings and stem bearings in the neck are all ok now.

But they’re not perfect and I didn’t dare set it up with oil. Everything was set up slightly loose with waterproof fishing reel grease. It’s all gonna have to wear in again.

I stripped the seat all apart because the foam underneath was damp and going moldy.
51414C5B-3DEC-4586-A513-E5BF3BD6DB33.jpeg

I have something to recover it with, But I think I’m gonna cut the foam way down because this is kind of a grandma seat. Here it is all skeletonized.

I couldn’t get my crank apart with this puller so I’m gonna have to go buy a proper one. This is a steel crank with steel arms. I was expecting the arms to be aluminum.
86C0EC59-2189-427F-8F60-5498B3F35B86.jpeg
I’m so happy that this turned out to be a real Sturmey-archer hub, and as far as I can tell it’s clean inside and sounds good. I haven’t taken it apart yet and I will probably put that off to the last thing.

94C249DA-BDFB-4108-8DA6-A4D5C81B5745.jpeg
It is well known that these are stronger than the similar asia-made hubs.
The frame appears to be pretty straight and undamaged except for paint scratches. It also appears to be fairly well constructed and the only part that I didn’t like as well was the way the rear stays connect to the seat post clamp.

Actually it is pretty strong but it’s just not the classic method.

5F5F2CEA-F29D-436C-89B2-B61EC3FBC5E0.jpeg I was hoping to paint the frame today but I have not been able to get the crank set off and this will have to wait until I can get the appropriate tool. It’s either that or break out the torch. I don’t want to start a grease fire.

Unlike @Bobster aka "the wet blanket" I for one, applaud your efforts young man! Pay no attention to crusty ol' Uncle Bob ok???:lol:

WTH is a "wet blanket"? :confused: Is it some Canadian term for highly intelligent OR something Canuckies use to keep warm in a swimming pool? ;)

I think Seth knows where I was coming from and it was not meant to put down or condemn. I can see now how it was a letter answering a letter. I actually applaud the letter writing and should do more of it myself. But I'm sure Feinstupid has a staff of dozens (thousands?) and the same person may not be receiving the reply as the one who wrote the initial reply. And the clearer and more concise a letter is, the more likely it will be responded to. My wife would write these rambling 3-4 page diatribes to the school board and wonder why she never got a response... :rolleyes:

WTH is a "wet blanket"? :confused: Is it some Canadian term for highly intelligent OR something Canuckies use to keep warm in a swimming pool? ;)

Lol..wet blanket, ie Debbie Downer, party pooper, Karen….us Norwesters and Southwester Canadians don’t throw out perfectly good terms like everybody else..lol the local morning traffic reporter still refers to accidents causing slow downs as a pig pile..lol

Last edited:
I couldn’t get my crank apart with this puller so I’m gonna have to go buy a proper one.

What is wrong with that puller? Looks pretty good. What if you install the puller and with it under tension, you whack the crank with a hammer to "spring" it off the spindle. Kind of like the trick to pop a tie-rod off a steering knuckle--with nut off you give the knuckle a couple whacks with the sledge and the tie rod post pops right out of the knuckle bore. Did it just the other night...

You could always make a puller--one of the beauties of having a welder. Here I adapted a steering wheel puller to pull the cog gear off a belt sander.

Attachments

• pulleron.jpg
    pulleron.jpg
    385.4 KB · Views: 3

I think Seth knows where I was coming from and it was not meant to put down or condemn. I can see now how it was a letter answering a letter. I actually applaud the letter writing and should do more of it myself. But I'm sure Feinstupid has a staff of dozens (thousands?) and the same person may not be receiving the reply as the one who wrote the initial reply. And the clearer and more concise a letter is, the more likely it will be responded to. My wife would write these rambling 3-4 page diatribes to the school board and wonder why she never got a response... :rolleyes:
Just yankin' yer chain Bob! Aka..."Debbie Downer" LOL! Haven't heard that one in awhile!
Lol..wet blanket, ie Debbie Downer, party pooper, Karen….us Norwesters and Southwester Canadians don’t throw out perfectly good terms like everybody else..lol the local morning traffic reporter still refers to accidents causing slow downs as a pig pile..lol
Yessir! Nailed it.

My intention was to buy a new three speed bicycle but you can’t find them. Not a single bicycle shop had one. Anyhow I ended up buying an old beater bike just because it had the correct three speed hub.

About 2008, I bought 2 folding bikes. I thought they were quaint in that they had Sturmey Archer 3-speeds. They were about $260 each I think. We liked them, but I made the mistake of taking them back to the dealer when we moved for them to sell on consignment. Then later I discovered I actually did have room enuff in my furniture trailer to fit them in. They weren't great for long rides but they got us around all the camping area and parks we liked.

Good morning. The dog needed to go out at 4:30, so I have been up since. Of course he went out, did his thing, and went back to sleep and left me here, lol.

Anyways, at this early hour there is nothing to even write about. So, with that being said I wish you all a fine Monday.

Back