• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Got a project in mind and looking for opinions

NCMAV88

.270 WIN
So I want to put an angled foregrip on my Maverick. And all the ones I have seen attach via picatinny rail. But I like the stock forend on my gun. So what I thought about doing was drilling some holes in the bottom of the forend and attaching a picatinny rail to facilitate the angled fore grip. What do yall think?

Just be careful, there isn't much meat to drill on the stock forend.

And that is my chief concern. Is there enough plastic there for the screws to hold the rail on reliably?

I'm thinking about seeing if I can find a stock forend online and experimenting with it. That way if it doesnt work out my original forend is still good to go.

Good idea. You might want to check the marketplace section here for a forend.

There is a post around here somewhere showing this exact modification. It can be done.

...just a word of advice though, I'd go with the original AFG. The shorter overall length on the AFG 2 causes the hand-stop to bang the ever lovin crap out of your knuckle with every shot. Been there, done that, hurts like hell...

I don't particularly care for the AFG 2 either.

On anything really. Much less a scattergun.

I don't know how thick the plastic is on the forend, but I wouldn't screw directly into the plastic, since the threads probably wouldn't hold very long. You might be able to use T-nuts or oval nuts on the back side with bolts thru the rail into the t-nut and a little loctite to keep it from backing out. Or a hex shaped counterbored hole for a standard hex nut. Either one may need to be set flush into the plastic if there is a clearance issue.

T-nut:

130226.jpg

Oval nut:

147921.jpg

Last edited:
I hadn't thought about that but you are probably right. The threads would probably pull out of the plastic after a shot or two. I will have to pull the slide tube off and see what kind of clearance I have in there.

There is a post around here somewhere showing this exact modification. It can be done.

...just a word of advice though, I'd go with the original AFG. The shorter overall length on the AFG 2 causes the hand-stop to bang the ever lovin crap out of your knuckle with every shot. Been there, done that, hurts like hell...
I just read the review you posted a couple years ago. I will definitely be going with the original AFG. I have large hands (size 15 wedding band) so I definitely need all the real estate I can get! Lol

I hadn't thought about that but you are probably right. The threads would probably pull out of the plastic after a shot or two. I will have to pull the slide tube off and see what kind of clearance I have in there.

There is not enough clearance for a nut between the tube and the handguard. If you add anything under there, would have to be counter sunk in the plastic or wood or whatever the forend is made of.

The T nut would probably be the best route for the handguard.

Hmmmm I'm definitely going to want to find a forend to practice on. Sounds like this is becoming more complicated by the minute.

An AFG is not going to be withstanding that much stress in a direction that will pull out the backer.. I think using either of the two types would work as long as you don't remove too much material during installation.

The AFG is going to distribute the stress over a wide area, the only problem I would see is if you plan on applying any side to side stress, which is fairly unlikely with an AFG.

tuza9uja.jpg

So this is the inside of the fore grip. If I can cut down the center ridge I think I should have enough room to fit a T-nut in there. What do y'all think?

I'd go with an oval nut, instead of Tnut. Oval's are thinner, don't require as big a hole for the bolt, and don't have those prongs sticking out. You can buy 1/4"-20 ovals here: http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2003911/20836/Woodpeckers-14-20-Oval-Nut-10-pack.aspx and 1/4"-20 bolts with various head designs (phillips, pan head, etc. ) are common at any hardware store. May have to hacksaw some off to get it short enuf.

I have a whole box of stuff like this I use for making jigs and fixtures.

Last edited:
Back