• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Got Wood?

ripjack13

Resident Sawdust Maker
Staff member
Administrator
Supporter
"Philanthropist"
I do.

Here's just a sample of my collection. I was thinking of making handgun grips with the stock I have. They're all too small to make anything into a decent sized box or carving but they'd be good for the accent parts. However, I was looking at my Beretta's grips and said to myself "Self, you can make that." And I agreed.
So in the coming weeks I will update this topic with pix the grips I have made. It's going to be a long cold winter. I might as well do something constructive in my shop. So take a look at my stuff and let me know whacha like.

Lacewood
outf5l.jpg

0KFUHl.jpg

ZiQU1l.jpg

^^stock web photo
Also known as Leopardwood. Light pink to silvery sheen with small flaky grain due to the large rays. Attractive pattern when used in small areas. Fairly light in weight, From Central and South America.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Pink Ivory
Xlprvl.jpg

xPmeBl.jpg

Y6Gdml.jpg

^^stock web photo
Heartwood varies from light to dark pink, and red with lighter shades of cream. Sapwood is light cream to off-white. Difficult to machine, but turns well. One of the rarest woods in the world. Stock is air dried, green by lumber standards From Africa. Quantities are very limited.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Zebrawood
R0X39l.jpg

Medium to heavy hardwood with possible coarse to very coarse grain texture depending on how it is cut. Light tan to golden yellow with streaks of dark brown to black. From Africa.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Tulipwood
xgYACl.jpg

Dark pink stripes in cream colored to reddish brown background. Hard, heavy and dense with a fine texture that takes a nice finish.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Purpleheart
ZdUcol.jpg

Medium to hard wood with tight, fairly straight grain with moderate to coarse texture
Bright purple when cut, darkens to brownish purple with exposure. From Central and South America.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bocote
9CLzcl.jpg

Spectacular background colors of dark brown to red with multicolored strips that vary from yellow to orange and green to dark brown. Somewhat hard to find material from Mexico and Central America.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's a list of wood I have on hand now.
African Olivewood
Birds Eye Maple
Birds Eye Redwood
Bloodwood
Bocote
Brazilian Tulipwood
Burmese Blackwood
Bubinga
Buckeye Burl
Chechen
Cocobolo
Ebony Diamondwood
Figured Satinwood
Hawaiian Koa
Lacewood
Lignum Vitea
Manzanita Burl
Narrah
Osage Orange
Purpleheart
Redwood Burl
Silver & Black Diamondwood
Striped Ebony
Tiger Stripe Goncalo Alves
Zebrawood

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any one have any old grips they don't want? I need some patterns to work with.

Any thoughts, or suggestions?

it's awesome. i love it. very very hard wood. in my hey day i made a few "utensils" and they held up for years. the wood gets darker with age, and sunlight. but if i had to decide, it would be in my top 5.

I've got one for ya rip,

I need a set of wood grips for my 92 Vertec. Nobody makes 'em.

The 92 Vertec grips are more-less a cross between your 92 grips and a 1911 style panel. Thing is I want them in a charcoal to black stain with some deep grain or striation. I love the look of the zebrawood, or maybe the Lacewood/Leopardwood. I've also got an extra set of small Beretta medallions that I'd love to have set in them.

If I send you a set as a pattern, think you can make it happen?

Really?! Cool. ....... And "utensils"??? Lol!! Also not shown here, I kinda liked the MOra and the Blackwood Burmese. But something about Bocote I like too. It's very hard to say no to the pink ivory, just so you know, LOL... But I really think some weapons do not need pink. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself :)

LAZY EYED SNIPER said:
I've got one for ya rip,

I need a set of wood grips for my 92 Vertec. Nobody makes 'em.

The 92 Vertec grips are more-less a cross between your 92 grips and a 1911 style panel. Thing is, I want them in a charcoal to black stain with some deep grain or striation. I love the look of the zebrawood, or maybe the Lacewood/Leopardwood. I've also got an extra set of small Beretta medallions that I'd love to have set in them.

If I send you a set as a pattern, think you can make it happen?

I love all 3 of those woods too! It's so hard to choose!

Here's what the Zebrawood looks like when made into grips...

SWM659small-1.jpg

Wow ! The zebrawood looks great. Great looking grain.

Sniper, ill pm you with my address later when I get home from work. I haven't tried putting in medallions yet. I'll let ya know how it goes on a piece of scrap wood. I could use a dime or quarter to see how it goes.

ripjack13,
I didn't know you do woodworking!

Nice selection of planks you have there.
The zebrawood and bocote would make a nice set of grips.

I have some extra wood that I won't use although not in plank form but I could cut it if you want any of it.

On hand is:
Black walnut (Log form)
Maple ( Cut 3x3x12)
Cedar (Log form)
QS White Oak (plank form)
Sweet gum (Cut 3x3x12. I'm sure you don't want that) which is easy to work.
Popular (good practice wood)

I will be following your progress on this project.

You have to quit talking to yourself! I know why you are talking to yourself because you're still wandering around at cabela's. :lol:

BTW, Maybe we should make a thread displaying our wood projects.

I've always liked the looks of the Purpleheart and Bocote.

So I said to myself after oldmans post...self...oldman is speaking my language. Then I bumped into a display of duck calls and stubbed my toe. Thanx for the very generous offer. I'll have to decline though. I actually have a few boards of each of what you have. I also have basswood and balsa. Thats easy working wood! :) Sweet gum is interesting. I'll check that out tomorrow at my local Woodcraft store.

I guarantee the purple heart is the densest wood you'll ever try to work with...friend of mine worked some grips out of a few blanks then hand sanded them to fit a Colt SAA. Wish I had a pic, they turned out nice.

Thanx..I had steel for boots on. :) Its a toss up between the Bocote and Purpleheart as to workability. Both are dense.

oooh...I found a piece of lignum vitae, but it's way too small to make grips out of it. maybe a good size for a pen blank.

That is the hardest wood in the world!

Man!!! MAN!!! I love woodworking... but my medium is carbon and stainless steel.

Wood is just beautiful to behold though and I really admire the work you do from the things you have posted. No doubt you can make some awesome grips!

Do you have or have you seen/can get any tiger maple or burled/burly something or other? That could make some sweet lookin grips too! I could be mistaken, but I think its softer stuff and I have heard of people having to use stabilizer?

I do have Maple Burl. a bunch of it. I also have a nice chunk of Manzanita Root Wood. It is reddish in color, very hard and looks like burl. I'll see if i can find a piece I cut into a slab about 3/4' thick and 5' round.

"Manzanita wood is difficult to find in very large pieces, since manzanita trees do not get very large. These trees from western US and Mexico are sometimes more like shrubs than trees. Even though the wood is small, it still has many uses. The slow growing wood is dense, hard, and strong. Manzanita trees twist into crooked shapes that make it difficult to find straight pieces, but the irregular shapes are also what make manzanita branches appealing."

"Since manzanita wood is usually only found in small pieces, products that can be made from it are usually small. Another factor that limits its size is its tendency to crack as it dries. But between the cracks there can still be enough solid wood that is large enough for making small crafts. The wood produces beautiful grains and colors that could be considered exotic looking. Manzanita burls are especially prized by wood turners."

http://www.nwfinewoodworking.com/wood_t ... zanita.htm
http://www.naturesformwoodcreations.com/?p=404

^^^ some examples of it...

Back