• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Got Wood?

Well the wood speaks for itself and loudly! ... the checkering is phenomenal bud. I thought you didn't do checkering.

I don't. This was a learning experience. It took me forever to do it. I had to redo it twice. I have learned to go slow, and light cuts first. Thats where I was messing up. But, now that I did it, its not too bad. I have a bunch of scrap baseball bats I'm going to checker up....Im hopeful I can improve and offer it up as a service.....

Well it's December and I finally had to break out the shop heater. It's only 1800 watt so not much.
10796.jpeg
But we don't actually have winter here, and it's currently still above freezing outside by several degrees.

This is the shelf that matches my fish tank stand. The Finish could be nicer but it's going to be above eye level on top, so I concentrated on the bottom side. It's going to look naughty.

... Errrr...knotty!

By the way, I kicked that heater back several feet, so the varnish didn't blister. I had to push it in close for the photo.

How would you prep a wood stock to be painted? I'm going to do a custom Mosin. I want to strip the wood stock, and do dark/camo rattle can finish. What's best way to prep the stock for best paint adhesion.

How would you prep a wood stock to be painted? I'm going to do a custom Mosin. I want to strip the wood stock, and do dark/camo rattle can finish. What's best way to prep the stock for best paint adhesion.

Is it an original stock? You need to get rid of the creosote gook out of the stock. Boil it or chemical strip it out. It's gunna ba a pita to get it all out. Lemme see if I can find a post that did it with a bleaching process ...

After thats done, a good primer coat and whatever colors you're paijting should work. Make sure it for exterior applications too....

I was going to try an bake the cosmoline out, and hand sand any varnish off. What kind of primer should I use? I've brushed, and sprayed primer on barn siding, and fence. Same thing?

What about applications of a hot oil to dilute the cosmoline? I know you can use white gas (Coleman Fuel) which will take it right off.

This is what my old Mossberg manual recommends for cleaning the gun.

But I've never dealt with cosmoline on wood before. Personally I'd probably use lacquer thinner just because I have that in my shop. You wouldn't want to apply that hot though. One little spark and kaboom! That's assuming the fumes don't kill you first.

Back