• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Grab one!

Though I find the walnut stocks just beautiful.......my 308 youth was chosen with plastic stock. It was lighter than the wood and more durable/weather resistant for mountain hunting. It's actually a rather sturdy plastic that is quite difficult to compress against the barrel unlike RAR and Savage. Good to have choices. Mossberg came through well with their stock choices.

When I put a rifle to my shoulder, I don't want to smell plastic. I want to feel the weight of a solid wooden stock. And yes, I will carry a wooden stocked gun through the brush, all day long. I don't/won't own a plastic hand gun either.
When I think of plastic guns, I think of toys. Because that is what toys are made of.

I don't have any with wood. Wood looks nice on some guns. It's just not for me. I don't knock guns with wood furniture nor folks who prefer wood. Kinda like the great handgun debate, Glock or 1911? I like 1911s but I don't have anything against Glock. My guns with plastic still kill what needs killed. I don't know that I've ever smelled the plastic though.

Boiled linseed oil....
That's what a good wood stock smells like.

It is not unlike the chemical smell of plastic, which is of course also made from oil.

How about,,,, "some people like synthetic some don't" and leave it at that. 270 w/synthetic stock kills just like one with wood. It's all about preference. That being said my patriot is wood but my next one won't be. $239 is the best price I've ever seen em

Thanx for the heads up quiet22!

All synthetics are not created equal.
The stuff on my AR is OK, but my Savage .22 isn't as strong.
I have a Marlin that's somewhere in between, and a Mossberg 500 that's really solid.

If I was a hunter, seriously, not a tourguide hunter but someone who hunts to eat, I'd have synthetic too.

But for that price you could change the stock (if you wanted a .270 that is.)

Wow, this blew up.
As said above, my preference. I wasn't trying to get anybody butthurt. Just expressing my take on plastic stocks.
Guess I am too old and hardheaded to change. And I'm okay with that.

Wow, this blew up.
As said above, my preference. I wasn't trying to get anybody butthurt. Just expressing my take on plastic stocks.
Guess I am too old and hardheaded to change. And I'm okay with that.

You know what, not your fault. That was all me and I'm sorry for having taken it the wrong way. I read it as if it were being stated that plastic is for toys and plastic on a gun makes it a toy not (and then I was reading into it) that it was being stated as if factual rather than preference. I'm am sincerely sorry for making this a bigger deal than what it was.

Back