• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Greetings from Lost Angeles

Fumbles

.22LR
Hi all......thanks for accepting me here. I'm long time shooter and avid firearms owner and enthusiast. I have been shooting since I was in the military many moons ago....not this man's army.....I was in the South African military during the Angola Bush war period.

Over the years I have accumulated a small collection...roughly 24 firearms. Mostly I shoot long range precision rifle and tactical carbine style with my AR-10, AR-15's and AK-47 as well as combat handgun style.....whatever that means. :D I reload for all the calibers I own except .22 rimfire of course and have both a single stage RCBS Rock Chucker and a Dill RL 550B progressive press.

I only recently purchased a shotgun......a 930 JM Pro Series Tactical Class. Believe It Or Else....but in 3 my first everI've only put about 70 rounds through it. Most enjoyable.

Other than this I live in Los Angeles, since about 1986 where I own my home, have a wife, two beautiful daughters-11 and 16yrs old, 2 dogs, a chinchilla, 3 cars. Over everything I have been a professional musician since I was a teen. To pay the bills :) I was concurrently a master motorcycle mechanic...25 years in the trade before I got out in 1999 to move into film and television production, first as a Gaffer and now as a Grip. Mostly I work as a rigger. Some shows I was on for a long time are "24", The Shield, Rizzoli & Isles, Criminal Minds and right now I just started a new show at CBS called Seal Team....... to name a few.

Pistol wise I have a few but believe the 1911in .45 ACP to be the finest fighting handgun ever made.

I REALLY like the 930 JM, just like I knew I would after the research I did before buying it. Before shooting it I tore it down and made sure it wa good to go, including rounding the sharp edges on the recoil spring. I patterned the gun @ 16Y and found it to be shooting a little left and a little high under my guidance.

A work in progress. Love the damn gun. And ammo is cheap compared to match rifle or premium defensive handgun ammo. Loving that.

That's me in a nutshell. I'm looking forward to interacting with y'all and hope I will be able to contribute as much as I learn from you folks. Thanks.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Welcome to The Forum, Fumbles.

Now that you've adjusted to the shotgun, maybe it's time to pick up an inexpensive shotshell press and start making some "fun" loads.

I had no idea what crazy things people were doing with ordinary shotgun shells until I started searching.

Thanks guys. I might look at reloading, however my reloading area is cramped quarters as it is. The idea of custom loads is interesting though.

Howdy Fumbles, welcome to the club...

I used to live in LA for around 12 yrs. I was a propmaker (local44) on a few shows and worked at some set houses.
I would have loved to work on the sheild. But I left in 02. The biggest tv shows I worked were The Pretender, Profiler, Jakes women, American Family, and a ton of other stuff from the set house.

Glad to have ya on, and see ya round!!

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...

welcome to the forum. Sounds like you have a full plate.

Welcome from MI!!

Fumbles, welcome to Mossberg Owners from E TN.

Ok. Chinchillas, music, motorcycles, screen theater and probably a hug from Chiklis... you are definitely scooting towards the top of my most envied list. If it just weren't for that LA thing...

license_20121027180427_80337.jpg

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Scoop.....most people don't know that Michael Chiklis is a very accomplished bass player and singer. Before he got into acting for a living he played in cover bands and he was fond of Sting as a musician...and specifically the music of The Police. While I was on The Shield, we had a band room set up with guitar amps, a bass amp and a drum set and small PA system in one of the stages. Chiklis like to do these Police tunes and sing them so we learned a few and used to jam with him during our lunch hour. We'd woof down some chow at catering and then haul ass over to the music room and throw down. It was good stuff. Roxanne, Every Breath You Take, Message In A Bottle. We also used to jam out on Rocky Mountain Way.

Figured you might like that little nugget.

While we are on the subject of movie celebrities and music......here's a picture of Eric Idle (in make-up as a victim of assault) playing my Ovation acoustic on the tailgate of a truck on set at Warner Brothers Ranch. He was doing Always Look On The Bright Side Of Life and it was friggen hilarious. It didn't take long and we had quite a crowd gathered. This was during filming of Christmas Vacation 2: Cousin Eddie's Island Adventure.

He came up behind me when I was jamming out and said something like..."Well that's a very nice looking guitar innit? Sounds good too. Mind if I have a go?" :D

Showbiz folks are a little different.

45 years ago I decided that I was not going to be a good guitarist without giving up everything else that I liked. I was busy studying things besides music. But, I spent one year as a roadie on the west coast, fixing cables & running the PA system. Making recordings.

It was a different side of life than I'd ever seen before, growing up. I now have 3 guitars that I never play, and the truth is I wish I'd never bothered to get involved in the whole business.

Is there a thing where bass players OD on heroin on a regular basis? We lost two within a year!

Anyhow, after that experience I decided I didn't want anything to do with drugs, or show business.

I was born to push pencils and punch buttons.

Back