• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Gun Safes

that's what I heard. Speculation no first hand experience. You will now be the test monkey lol

I hear the magnet strip weakens the springs and causes your mags to pick up metal particles if you do a lot of comps (ie dropping mags on the ground for reloads).... that's what I've heard.

Someone here, I can't remember who, tried them and said the strip would only hold empty mags and they would fall off when the door was closed. Full mags wouldn't stay put at all on his...

The ones i tried, i was trying to hold loaded mag's overhead. that was an absolute no go. Tiniest bump and they all fell. Empty 1911 mags.... eh, but who leaves a good mag empty? I peeled the magnetic backing of some Snap-On magnetic shelves i got at work, it felt much stronger and think it would work, i just never got around to trying to actually fastening it to the underside of the shelf. You can shop around and find magnetic sheeting in precut sizes, with different thickness and pull rating. but what i bought and reviewed in the reviews section was advertised just for the purpose of mag storage within a safe. Utter disappointment.

http://mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/gun-storage-solutions-mag-mount.11601/

Last edited:
Here is the door on my liberty.
2222B72B-2880-4BF4-A26C-FF6DADD343FB_zpsmqai6dhz.jpg

My firearms are old grampa geezer type guns, I can't see me getting a safe anytime soon LOL!!!
Well maybe when I find/can afford that Savage Model 99 I've been talking about....
Mark

Last edited:
Ive looked into them, and while a good concept, I'm just not sold on shoving a rod down the barrels of my guns. Plus I generally take mine out on a regular basis. So lots of shifting and moving to get the ones in the back.

c7b1e6842f8ab2ee98582dd50b617a0c.jpg

I forgot about this little guy.... I guess it is considered a safe ..... Speed Vault SV500 Biometric ...... great to keep a handgun safely ready to go [emoji1]

Not a gun safe, more of a display cabinet. I always wanted one when I was younger until I realized they only need to break glass. Now have a steel safe.

Interior shot, this is before I got my Model 500...LOL.

Yes, I need to get some Windex...
Mark[/QUOTE]

Anyone familiar with Timber Ridge by Liberty?

This would be the 30 gun model I believe based on pictures

I had one offered in trade for an old 4x4 I was trying to get rid of.

Ive looked into them, and while a good concept, I'm just not sold on shoving a rod down the barrels of my guns. Plus I generally take mine out on a regular basis. So lots of shifting and moving to get the ones in the back.
Only problem with the std safe set ups is they never hold near what they are listed as holding unless it all non-scope rifles or shotguns. plus you are more apt to ding up you guns with the std set up than the rod system where you have control of how they are staggered. the rod don't hold moisture and are not of a material that will harm your bbls .~~JMJ~~

I recently ordered a custom-made safe from Sturdy Safes, which are built here in Fresno.

http://www.sturdysafe.com
They publish their prices on the web, but discounts are available on some things. I got a discount because I went to the factory in person and paid cash.

There is no chrome or brass. No spit &polish.
It's just a thick steel box with a real safe lock, a really sturdy door, and speckled paint.

We had a Liberty Sentry safe at our office with an electronic lock, about 10 years ago, & will never have another. It's for the same reason you don't want a gun that needs batteries to shoot. They're far less reliable. Eventually it wasn't the battery that was the real issue, however.

I ruined the safe with my bare hands
& I had to call a locksmith to come open the safe. He finished ruining it for me.

He could not open the safe by normal locksmith means, because I had shut the door with the bolts extended, and bent the comb slightly, jambing the bolts so they couldn't retract. (The comb is the thing that connects all the bolts so they work in unison.)

Eventually he gave up & just pried the dang thing right open with a mallet & two long pry bars! Man that seemed way too easy, and fast. The safe was a total loss too. :(

If you want to know why the Sturdy Safe is better than anything in it's price range, you need to look at the door construction and the bolt mechanism. You cannot break it. Watch the videos on the Sturdy Safe website where they try to rip it open and damage the safe so it won't open.

I ruined our safe with my bare hands, just by closing it kinda hard with the bolts out. In the videos they beat on all that stuff with an 8lb hammer and just can't break it. They remove half the bolts & then try to rip it open with prybars & then a 10,000 lb lift truck, and they just pick that truck up off the floor, by the door of the safe.

The gal in their website photos sold me my safe, BTW. If you go there to the factory, you get to meet her in person. ;)

Last edited:
I recently ordered a custom-made safe from Sturdy Safes, which are built here in Fresno.

http://www.sturdysafe.com
They publish their prices on the web, but discounts are available on some things. I got a discount because I went to the factory in person and paid cash.

There is no chrome or brass. No spit &polish.
It's just a thick steel box with a real safe lock, a really sturdy door, and speckled paint.

We had a Liberty safe at our office with an electronic lock, about 10 years ago, & will never have another. It's for the same reason you don't want a gun that needs batteries to shoot. They're far less reliable. Eventually it wasn't the battery that was the real issue, however.

I ruined the safe with my bare hands
& I had to call a locksmith to come open the safe. He finished ruining it for me.

He could not open the safe by normal locksmith means, because I had shut the door with the bolts extended, and bent the comb slightly, jambing the bolts so they couldn't retract. (The comb is the thing that connects all the bolts so they work in unison.)

Eventually he gave up & just pried the dang thing right open with a mallet & two long pry bars! Man that seemed way too easy, and fast. The safe was a total loss too. :(

If you want to know why the Sturdy Safe is better than anything in it's price range, you need to look at the door construction and the bolt mechanism. You cannot break it. Watch the videos on the Sturdy Safe website where they try to rip it open and damage the safe so it won't open.

I ruined our safe with my bare hands, just by closing it kinda hard with the bolts out. In the videos they beat on all that stuff with an 8lb hammer and just can't break it. They remove half the bolts & then try to rip it open with prybars & then a 10,000 lb lift truck, and they just pick that truck up off the floor, by the door of the safe.

The gal in their website photos sold me my safe, BTW. If you go there to the factory, you get to meet her in person. ;)
I bought a Sturdy Safe about 35 yrs ago it's not fancy or even fire proof ,but it's like 3/16" solid steel ,no electric lock heavy as all get out .Don't think you'd get into it short of the torch ~~ I paid over $900 way back then ,today they are really pricey, and fire proof ,but you get what ya pay for.http://www.sturdysafe.com/~~JMJ~~

You can buy one without fireproofing for about $400 less in the size I ordered (22x28x60) & it'll hold a lot more too.

That is not a custom size BTW. They didn't have that one in stock so they're building mine to order.

My understanding is that they sell steadily to law enforcement agencies and similar at list price, and give discounts to the local consumers, which is really sort of fill-in business for them.

The nicest thing for me was not dealing with some faceless multinational company that makes safes as a sideline.
This is a family business, and the people there are very nice down home folks.

It's sort of against my better judgement to post these here, but I will.

I bought a Sturdy Safe, right from the factory in Fresno CA. This is not a fancy-looking safe & you'll never see them in stores.

What it is, is popular among law enforcement, stores, etc, because it is not too expensive but it's heavy duty, and the structural design is better in a way that really makes a difference.

This is a double wall fire safe. It's the 2nd cheapest fire safe they make. & their second size (22"x28"x60".) I got it built to order in 5 weeks for about $2000 with tax + I paid $100 for delivery.

It costs a lot more than a Liberty or similar, but it's a lot thicker too. There's no gold leaf or fancy electronics. No lights or electricity inside. The paint is utilitarian. The handle is chrome, but that's it. No glitz here: The real beauty is in the metal thickness & the design of the door mechanism. Other safes brag about lots of fancy security features, when the basic poor construction is their real downfall.

After I ruined our small 14 Ga. Sentry data safe at the office, I discovered the truth about safes: 90% of the time a lock-smith is called for one it's because the owner screwed it up, & often the same way I did ours: I tried to close it with the bolts out & I deformed the comb. The safe would not open, and the lock-smith literally had to tear the safe open with big pry bars. He could drill in and release the mechanism, but the bolts were jammed tight & would not retract. So, it's not a burglar that damages most safes; and, a 14 Ga. safe can probably be opened with prybars. I watched the guy do ours & he was no Hulk Hogan either.

The Sturdy Safe design completely prevents this, and also several other common safe failures/attacks. If you want to see how, go watch the videos on their website.

The steel on the cheapest Sturdy Safe is 3/16" = 0.188" thick where the Liberty safe starts at 14 Ga. = 0.075" then goes to 11 Ga. =0.120". You must go up to the $4000+ "Presidential" model to get 7 Ga steel = 0.179 or still .009" thinner than the cheapest Sturdy Safe. The lock is a basic commercial grade safe lock from Sergeant.

20151203_173512_resized_1.jpg
20151203_225055_001_resized.jpg

Like most gun safes, the Liberty claims: "Awarded UL™ Residential Security Container burglary classification", which sounds good, until you realize that standard is the lowest possible rating available.

Sturdy Safes is located in some crusty old buildings down by the tracks, and you won't be impressed by their offices. You will be impressed by the people. It's a family run business and the customer service is very personal. The gal that models on their photos is the granddaughter of the originator, and she sells the safes.

Well, really the safes will sell themselves, once you do your homework.

I'm not affiliated with these folks in any way, except that I've met them, bought their wares, and was very pleased to do business with them.

http://www.sturdysafe.com/

Back