• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

H&R "Buck" Topper Model 162 Refurbish

MT2

UPDATE Thought instead of making a new thread Id just edit this one.

About 10 years ago my Grandfather gave me this old gun, sadly I can say this is only gun Ive owned that I have never shot. Reason is this old gun has the wrong forend or at least I beleive it does. When I first got my grandfather had used some glue and duck tape to hold the barrel in. I removed the forend to try and figure out what was going on and fix it. Sadly alot has happened since that time, including my Grandfather passing away 2 years ago. Now that Ive been bitten by the bug again, I want to fix it and maybe do a little customizing. Nothing major either a new stock design or at very least a refinishing of the exsiting stock.

Here is my issue, this barrel has what I would refer to as a clip end coming off the barrel and the forend is one designed for a screw. The hole for the screw and the hole my Grandfather drilled out are in 2 diffrent locations. Now Ive scoured ebay, brownells, midway, gunbroker, and a few other places for this forend. And to be completely honest if I find one and the hardware isnt included I'll be a little lost on finding the peices.

Fixing up this gun would mean alot to me especially if I do it myself. However, I dont have the tools to build a new forend. Im worried about buying a aftermarket stock/forend kit cos Im 99% positive it wont match up. I just dont think I'll use it unless I can get it fixed the right way and not need any duct tape.

103_0219_zps7ffa8f63.jpg

103_0220_zpsf000516c.jpg

And the issue part......

103_0222_zps2c8b715e.jpg

103_0223_zps317c9c3d.jpg

Found the forend peice needed before I order it though, a friend of mine said he knows a guy at his work that might be able to machine one for me. So Im going to give him a week or so and see what happens since he said it was wouldnt cost me a dime.

Lazy Eyed Sniper is sending me a .30 cal carbine casing for a little added decoration since this was my grandfathers favorite round. THANKS AGAIN!!!

I have sanded down the stock and refinished it, as soon as its safe to touch and what not not. I'll post some pics.

The other issue Im debating on is the barrel, it has some rust and light pitting. Im thinking about taking some steel wool and remove as much as this as I can however, it will also remove the blueing and Im not sure how to refinish it after that. Personaly Ive not had the best results with any of the birchwood products. Has anyone had any experience with G96 products? Ive used some of the spray on Duracoats in the past and honestly, I feel I should of just saved the money and bought a couple cans of quality spray paint. Which in itself is something that Im not against but at the same time dont want to tack up the project. Not sure how the wife will feel about me baking the barrel in the oven either. Any suggestions? If I feel the best option is to just leave it alone than thats the option I will opt for.

Here is the buttstock.
103_0224_zpsf85ef881.jpg

Forend got some more work to go before I post it. Might be a little bit before I post any more pic's, then again it might not.

Its a ebony, I bought it when I was converting a fretted bass guitar into a fretless. Hated this stuff, after some experimenting I like it on this gun. Gives it kind of a camo finish imo.

looking good,,,,,and the best part it was your grandads! :D

old mossy said:

Yea, I know this gun isnt a collector's item or even something that most guys will really care about. After all its just a single shot. But to me this gun has alot of value, not only was it my grandpas but now that my oldest son is shooting and wanting to start hunting who knows 3 generations might be able to kill a deer with the same gun. And that as they say is priceless.

MT2 said:
old mossy said:

Yea, I know this gun isnt a collector's item or even something that most guys will really care about. After all its just a single shot. But to me this gun has alot of value, not only was it my grandpas but now that my oldest son is shooting and wanting to start hunting who knows 3 generations might be able to kill a deer with the same gun. And that as they say is priceless.

I wouldn't care if it was a run of the mill 10/22, any firearm past through the generations carries intrinsic value, history and tradition. +1 For keeping your Grandfathers spirit alive by passing this on to your kids. Great work on that stock btw, I've been thinking about doing my H&R Topper in a dark cherry or mahogany.

Back