• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

H&R Handi-Rifle Build

Itsricmo

.30-06
Well I finally got notified today from my FFL that my receiver made it to his place and was ready for pick up!! After some discussion, paperwork, monetary exchange and some more discussion... I was on my way out with a new reason to spend some money!!! lol

It's an NW initialed receiver, making it a 2006 production year model, as well as an SB2 frame. So I can any barrel I want except for a heavy walled 12ga (slug barrel) or 10 gauge.

Plans are to send it in to get a 30-30 barrel fit by H&R. Send the barrel to Innovative Arms, where it will be cut to 18", faced, crowned, threaded and then the front sight will be set back to the new location. After that, I have intentions of having the Synthetic Stock camo-dipped in Multicam to give it a real custom and up to date look! Optics are going to be later, I like iron sights and shoot better, IMO, with them.

Do you have an money estimate on your build? Thinking about a .44 Mag barrel with irons and a red dot to put on my .308 SB2.

I'd love to have a .30-30 Handi Rifle. It would make infinitely more sense to me than that darned .45-70 Handi Rifle that keeps luring me toward getting another.

Sweet, looking forward to seeing this progress

Rough cost is going to be a little over what it would be IF I bought the rifle as a whole and brand new. But I don't have the cash to straight up buy a whole new rifle, so I am willing to drop a few more bucks into it to spread the cost across time. $400 ish dependent on what all I do with it. I could spend more later on if I really got fun and crazy with it haha. The barrel work is going to cost me about $100 so that's where a lot of cost comes in. Shipping too....

30-30 Winchester Barrel is definitely what I'm getting. I was looking at peep sights and globe front sights that are looking really nice and pretty sweet for something like this!

Itsricmo said:
Rough cost is going to be a little over what it would be IF I bought the rifle as a whole and brand new. But I don't have the cash to straight up buy a whole new rifle, so I am willing to drop a few more bucks into it to spread the cost across time. $400 ish dependent on what all I do with it. I could spend more later on if I really got fun and crazy with it haha. The barrel work is going to cost me about $100 so that's where a lot of cost comes in. Shipping too....

30-30 Winchester Barrel is definitely what I'm getting. I was looking at peep sights and globe front sights that are looking really nice and pretty sweet for something like this!

That's what you have to remember, you're getting a rifle specific to your needs and wants... think if you bought the rifle brand new and then did all the barrel and dipping work after.... I bet you'd spend more

AK, I am tailoring it specifically for my liking :) Where I spend more is in shipping of everything. IF you calculate the shipping and transfer fee as "necessary expense" and rule it out, I spend way less. There are a couple options I have up in the Air.

If the Barrel at 22" shoots extremely well, I will probably keep it at that length and put the money into a good scope or Peep Sights with a Globe Front (Old School). If it shoots so-so, I will chop the barrel and everything down that route with the front sight reset. The camo dip is up in the air too, its probably going to fall under "do I REALLY need it and can I get the Mrs. Mosley to agree" :lol:

Oli, It is going to be a truck gun, game is Whistle Pigs and Deer. I am expecting no range over 150yds IF I even feel confident out that far. Mostly for on my way home from work and if I am strolling around town and want to go shoot some piggies in the fields lol... Range is also dependent on length of barrel and sights. For those days I am going to be scouring the fields and can prepare better, I have the Mrs. .243 at my disposal for longer shots.

EDIT: Marlin makes 30-30 levers with short barrels down to 18" and many with 20". People kill deer all the time with them, so I am not hesitant to say that an 18" Handi could take one :)

I think the Hornady LeveRevolution rounds will really make it a great little gun! I know in a 20 or 22" barrel they are packing some heat out to 300 yds. I picked up a Hornady catalog the other day and it has some nice info in it. That's off topic though :lol:

I'd make it a 16 inch barrel for a truck gun if it were me......but its not lol

oli700 said:
I'd make it a 16 inch barrel for a truck gun if it were me......but its not lol

Man I have really thought about that..
I don't know how a 16" 30-30 preforms though lol.. not too many out there.
There would be a little velocity loss, plenty of muzzle blast too and even shorter sight radius.
It's a really interesting concept though.. really... interesting.. hmm ;)

A scope and a flash hider, who cares about muzzle blast. I have seen deer taken with 30-30 barrels on a Condender that were 14 inches , using a 4x scope at over 150 yards......shot placement, how many 200+ yard shots do you honestly get.....a truck gun doesn’t say precision sniper to me.

not trying to change your mind at all just saying what my thoughts might be if I were doing it

I absolutely appreciate your input, Oli! It gives me things to think about, especially while I sit here in Company Lodging 200 miles away from home lol... I don't intend to make any 200 yard shot but wanted to make sure I could at least make a 150 yard shot with it. The Flash Hider is definitely going to be on there, scope will come a little later.

A little research shows that Winchester has produced, in the past, a 16" carbine 30-30, and lots of guys report Kills at 150+ yards with it. Also 4" groups seem to be the average. But that puts me in the kill zone for a deer or ground hog.

Someone killed a deer with a 30-30 from over 100 yards. Pics or it didn't happen. :lol: :lol:

I know....it was quite the stretch for a 30-30 14" but they were Contender reloads and off of a shooting stick. The guy is a pistol hunter and the 30-30 barrel is his go to. The 150+ was the only shot he ever really felt comfortable taking with it over 100, he said everything just felt right for it. It actually went clean through

Well if it is possible with a 14" barrel, I can consider chopping the extra 2" off of my barrel. Any recommendations for the Flash Hider??

I will have to find load data for the contender stuff. If it preforms well out of a 14", should only do marginally better in 16"

Now my question on this would be whether the 2" would be worth it? How much "handiness" would you really gain with 2" less? IMHO I would stick with 16" to allow me to easily change flash/comp's without having to undo the pin... and gain those extra 10-20 ft/sec in velocity :D

Or just buy a Contender. Just sayin......

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Back