1. Check out the Hot Deals section of the Marketplace forum to order an official Mossbergowners.com hat.

H&R Handi-Rifle Build

Discussion in 'Long Guns' started by Itsricmo, May 20, 2013.

1. nitesite

nitesite Average Guy Moderator "Philanthropist"

All this talk has me itching to rechamber my .357 Magnum Handi Rifle to .357 Maximum and really make it a 150-200 yard rifle. I think 180-gr XTPs humming about 1800-fps ought to be about right and I can still shoot .38-specials and .357 Maggies. No telling at what speed a really light 0.357" bullet would scream.

Rick, ever give any thought to the .357 Maximum as an option that is really versatile as far as reloading a wide array of bullets for plinking and hunting?
  2. aksavanaman

aksavanaman Work In Progress... Supporter "Philanthropist"

Nitesite... aren't you dating yourself... .357 Max...what are we in back in the "Cowboy" ages, you know like the 1980's :lol: :lol:

Never heard of this cartridge till you mentioned it and google edjumacated me :D
  3. nitesite

nitesite Average Guy Moderator "Philanthropist"

Hahahahhhhaaaa! Great come-back. :lol:

It's not very common but it kicks ass and still allows thutty-8s and maggies in the chamber, for a really wide range of uses and velocities. I went shooting with honkey (Derek) and he was really surprized how quiet a hard cast sub-sonic 140-gr .357-Magnum cased LSWC was, going 1050-fps. It is nearly like a .22 rimfire rifle without hearing protection. Only it hits with a THUMP that a .22 can never deliver.

Sorry........ thread drift. My fault.

Rick, so you want a .30-30, huh?
  4. Itsricmo

Itsricmo .30-06

lol Contender is out of the question, Mike! I already have the Frame for the SB2 and I didn't have to "pay for the name" like I would a contender ;)

AK, I am not cutting it too 14" I am either cutting it 18" or 16.25" lol.. that is where the 2ish inches is coming into play. I don't need to spend $200 on a stamp to make it a SBR haha

Nitesite, I have considered that but in my area .357 shells are just as scarce as the .308 and .223 ammunition. Which is what steered me away from it. It is actually a VERY popular Handi Rifle job to have done... reaming out a .357mag too a MAXI, that is. But I think 30-30 is going to be the best, all around, cartridge for starting.
  5. oli700

oli700 12g Supporter "Philanthropist"

now those are handy, a "pistol" that shoots rifle rounds, way cooler than a rifle that shoots pistol rounds.....just sayin too lol

depends on if your a giver or a taker

was it the hairy palms that gave it away ?
  6. aksavanaman

I take all the way... ;)
  7. oli700

then no the extra 2" is not worth it
  8. MikeD

MikeD I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator "Philanthropist"

9. Itsricmo

Itsricmo .30-06

lol.. oh the horrible things that could be said!!!
  10. Itsricmo

Itsricmo .30-06

I have taken an idea of Oli's into consideration and may get the barrel cut to 16.5" instead of 18".. I think the front sight and rear sight will have enough distance to still provide accurate shots too 100yds.. A decent, low power scope, would soon be mounted after that...

Aside from that, what does everyone think about having the barrel threaded??
    Should I have it done, or not??
  11. oli700

why not ?
  12. Itsricmo

Itsricmo .30-06

That is kind of my attitude about it, but was wondering if anyone had some input or what not on it. I could toss a YHM Muzzle Comp on it ;) hehehe
  13. aksavanaman

I think you answered your own question there. If it ain't gonna be a whole lot more.... WHY NOT! :D
  14. MikeD

MikeD I'm Your Huckleberry Staff Member Global Moderator "Philanthropist"

I don't see a down side to it. Whether you utilize it initially or not, having the option available will increase versatility and the "cool" factor.
  15. oli700

Traditionally if you want the very best accuracy you would end it with a crown of some sort.
    Once you thread it , it will still have a crown but it is what you might be adding that could affect accuracy.
    The RMC I added to my AR changed the POI it still grouped but it was low left. I think it opened up the groups as well to be honest...but it could be a case of me and my trigger finger that day and since I use a red dot I can’t really tell if it’s me or the break, but I know breaks will change POI.If you start with a break you would never know…,Monday Tyler got his 300 Win Mag back from getting a break installed and it moved his POI high and right still 1 moa with careful trigger pulls
  16. Itsricmo

Itsricmo .30-06

I was planning on putting some sort of Standard AR-30 Flash Hider to start off and then maybe further down the road, attaching a better Flash Hider or even Brake. As far as the crown, I will have a standard 11 Degree crown put on.
  17. tcecil88

tcecil88 .30-06

The amount of torque used when you install your brake will affect accuracy as well. Since this is not intended as a precision rifle, that affect will be negligible.
  18. oli700

good call
  19. Itsricmo

Itsricmo .30-06

I did not know torque on the brake would affect accuracy. Somewhere I read that 20 ft lbs was about all you should use though... Idk if that was just a specific brake or not. I am really going to lean towards a flash hider/suppressor more then the brake. Less loud noises exploding back at me, probably going to be the better :)