• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

H&R & NEF Rifles

Rossignol

The Original Sheriff
Global Moderator
Sponsor
New England Firearms Handi-Rifle

Alrighty, I'm turnin to the folks here again as I cant find too much on these. I cant even find a pic.

I'm told some places have changed hunting laws to allow these as "primitive weapons". So muzzle loaders and black powder guys will be joined by hunters armed with one of these or the like., I guess H&R and HK both make one too.

In question specifically is a carbine length, all barrel, wood stock to the muzzle, breech load iron sights, .45-70 govt rifle! It LOOKS AWESOME! Short enough to grip and let hang by your side with out the muzzle touching the ground.

Originally these were selling around $300. I'm wondering if anyone has any info on these or opinions and could attest to the quality and investment. I know .45-70 ammo is expensive to stock... I really dont need it, I really dont need it, I really dont need it, I really dont need it...

Re: New England Firearms Handi-Rifle

My local GS has one. It's goin for $225, rem 223, i thought it was a kids rifle at first. it's the super light version, shorter than most and light as hell.... I haven't anyone i know who owns one. It piqued my interest though because it's an H&R. nice looking gun, looks better with a scope though.

you should get one. you should get one. you should get one.

it's even calling you in...
http://www.nefguns.com/category/1795-NE ... ifles.aspx
$257

I want one in .357/38 so I can thread the barrel 1/2-28 so I can use my 9mm silencer on it.

The breakdown action should make for a quiet host gun

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrJ163CqIvw[/youtube]

Thats pretty sweet John!!!

Here ya go Rossignol...

===============================================

handi-rifle-1.jpg

================================================

http://www.chuckhawks.com/nef_rifles.htm

( Product reviews at bottom of page )

================================================

Thanks Shooter! I really like these, but I'm in love with the one I saw last week!

I think the walnut furniture run all the way to the muzzle is what did it!!! It was a real old school look, classic, ya know? Not my standard thing, and I real typically go for synthetc cuz of the durability and I could care less about damage.

It was also a much more unique look that I was diggin!

Like that, now imagine the forend goin all the way to the muzzle! I dont think theyre made that way anymore...

Good price, and I may yet look into that!!!

What was the barrel length...I never seen furniture go all the way to the muzzle unless it was sawed off...

I wanna say 16", but dont know for sure. It looked totally factory, but I've not been able to find pictures of it. I believe it was made before the name "Handi-Rifle" existed, as in its an NEF .45-70, single shot, model? I dont know what. But not the modern Handi-Rifle.

Maybe?

I do like that one youve got pictured above!

Gotcha....well, If ya ever do find a pic...we already got da thread !! :D

I'll keep diggin and see what I cant come up with!

Re: H&R Ultra Slug Hunter 12g Build Thread

Sweet!

Lookin forward to seeing this one come together...

That is an amazing looking gun!

p688294376-4.jpg

Are you left-handed?

If not, the hammer extension will feel much better if you turn it around with the extension on the other side.

Plus, the takedown lever won't interfere with it as much either.

I have been wanting a HR Handi-Rifle in 357/38 badly.

With a 357 on it is good for deer at close to moderate ranges, and with 38 in it, could be threaded for my silencer and thus, always subsonic and would be very quiet.

Quite possibly quickly turning into one of my favorite pack rifles.

Nice catch! I am a right handed shooter.

Did I mention how awesome that gun looks! The furniture is amazing!!!

Man I keep lookin at the Hani Rifle you posted up there Shooter. I've been diggin more and more into it and like it alot!

So many things on my list! I would like it in a shorter barrel though, so I would likely look into it being cut and crowned.

Back