• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

H&R & NEF Rifles

Re: Help me pick between these two Handi-Rifles

I rather like the pics as is myself. Very cool...

That is one sweet looking rifle! Kudos to the wife!!!!

And I thought my wife was the greatest for making me lunch in the am...i'll tell her she needs step up her game... :lol:

Dude, thats sweet! I rather like the HandiRifles, and the pics are great!!! I have a weird affinity for carbin rifles in pistol calibers...

I like synthetic stocks, but the HandiRifle is one of only a few firearms I really want with wood furniture... though this one could change my mind. Pretty cool you got both! I may need two of these. Heck I dunno!

Great lookin gun!

Re: New England Firearms Handi-Rifle

the handi rifle is a great rifle at one time i owned 14 of them in different cal's i had a 357 they are sweet to own, i had from 17hmr up to the 45/70 even a buffalo classic, yu really cant go wrong with them oh the joy of divorces and job loss thru the yrs has depleated my safe, to a skeleton crew ,

If you already own a Handi-Rifle SB-1 or SB-2 you can have a .50-cal black powder barrel factory fitted to your receiver for something like $145 IIRC. Maybe a black-powder upper would have the extended forearm? But they currently don't offer a wood stock version, only synthetic. Still, it sounds cool as can be!

http://www.hr1871.com/Support/accessoryProgram.asp

I have one in .270 Win and another carbine in .357 Magnum and absolutely love them for the simplicity and darn they are accurate. They are hella fun to shoot with cowboy/youth loads. I make up some .270 with 130-gr Hornady JSPs and Trailboss that are like a sneeze instead of a boom, and the .357 Magnum is shooting 140-gr lead semi-wadcutters and 4.2-gr of Unique @ 940-fps which is like shooting a freaking .22 rimfire only with a lot more thump! I make a 100-ct box of ammo for around $4.50 and have a great time plinking away for next to nothing.

This thread got me thinking, I have a pound of FFFg black powder and a ton of lead. A black powder barrel would be effin' sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyone know if the black-powder barrel is the one with the extended wood forearm?

Rossi,

If you saw a .45-70 with a mannlichter stock that is one very unusual configuration. It would be cool as hell to own one, though. No wonder you are searching for one!

NiteSite, I'd still like to get one ... Its not as high up on my list as it was, but its still on the list!

That one in particular is what first captured my imagination, it was like a .45-70 carbine I guess. Youre right, with the furniture run right to the muzzle, it was unusual and rather unique looking! I havent seen another like it since...

The search will continue! :D

they made them in the 70's if i recall, the hot item was the 30/30 and the 22 hornet with those forearms , over on greybeard outdoors they have a very active H&R forum and for awhile you can still get the forearms as a replacement part from H&R unlisted part you had to call them to get one, not so sure about it since remington took over H&R , i had a very odd one in 218bee cal. i was a sweet shooting gun,

if i remember right the one yu are looking for is or was called a skailei or some sort of spelling ir was like a safari name for them

Very interesting piece of information Shaner!

Thanks!

Brad, was it something like this?

pop_wm_1735596.jpg

With the ramrod going all the way to the muzzle? Or did the stock look like a Mannlichter forend?

k140225_No.%201%20RSI.jpg

k140225_No.%201%20RSI.jpg

:D :D :D

Thats what I've been lookin for!!! Where did you find that pic!? and what is that gun!? I want one, do you understand I almost NEED one now!

Is that not one of the sweetest lookin rifles ever!

That's a Ruger #1 with Mannlichter stock. A fairly expensive albeit beautiful rifle for real!

The upper pic is a NEF Shikari that is out of production.

Isn't that #1 something to behold?

Thats a Ruger? Wow!!!

Man the thing I saw looked just like that, only it was most definitely an NEF and no way would it have sold for more than $300!

The Ruger sets another goal to reach if I never find that NEF! Good lookin out NiteSite, that thing is a beauty!!!

Not seeing a thread dedicated to the poor man's rifle, I thought I would start one.
H&R Model SB-2-D-30 .308. I got this rifle with the 3x9x40 scope at the local Dick's for $169. Did not even think twice. Added a stock ammo carrier and the sling that I already had. It is pretty light, so I imagine it will kick some. But that's ok! :D
HRSB2-D30308rightside.jpg

NEF Handi-Rifle .223. NWTF rifle with a 6x24x50 BSA Platinum scope. Great little shooter. I got this as a gift from my father. :)
DSC01010.jpg

Let's see what else is out there. Post 'em up!

They sure are fun, aren't they. Great find getting that .308 w/ scope for $170 which is incredible!

I have two, a TALO Distributors Exclusive .357 Magnum with shorter barrel and iron sights which is a VERY fun rifle to shoot...

357Handi_rifle1-1.jpg

... and an plain old ordinary wood stocked .270 with a fixed 4x Nikon scope on it. No picture because it looks just like any other wood stocked Handi from the catalog.

I would love to have a .308, a .223 and a .45-70 barrel fitted to my SB-2 receiver. But I don't shoot the ones I have as much as I wish, so the others would probably languish as well.

I like the camo and the laminate stocks on both of yours!

Looks great! I love my H&R ultra slug hunter and would like to add some of their rifles to my collection as well. Would you mind posting up these over at www.HR1871Owners.com

Nice. I really need to pick one of these up some day. They seem like one heck of a bargain.

Back