• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Had to activate the Family Emergency Response Plan

JSDinTexas said:
I live in the country so the biggest problem I have with no electriciy is the well won't work, therefore no water. My 1st solution was to stock 10 gallons of drinking water in the utility room. My next solution will be to investigate if I can put a manual pump on the well.
Warmth and cooking are no problem as I have a wood-burning cook stove with oven (100 yrs old) and a good stock of wood (I also have a propane tank that powers a regular stove and a wall heater).
I realize that I might be good for a week, maybe two, but probably that's about it. I'm not sure one can plan for staying in place longer than that (MREs require water and how many cans of food can be stored?). And packing out to me means only carrying essentials and moving from one water hole to the next - but then again, I've not had the experience.
The one thing I think I will add after reading the posts is an emergency crank radio.
How big of a pressure tank do you have?
A couple 30 gallon tanks and a check valve between your pump and the tanks would give you quite a bit of usable water.
A buddy of mine in TX put a 100 gallon black plastic tank in his attic. In the summer, he has all the hot water he needs for pretty much free. Just be sure you locate it someplace that can handle a 1000 pound load (800 for the water, 200 for the tank)

raven01750 said:
Well, after a little research, apparently it's not legal to use a Marine Band VHF Radio on land.
Oh well. The search continues.

Paul
easy solution... just throw a small boat in your pool or local pond... :lol:

Back