• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

hair brained idea

mbshop

.270 WIN
as #1 buck is hard to come by, would it be possible to get #1 buck bulk and take out shot from common shot shells and load in the #1 buck instead ? not sure I'm explaining it right. thanks,

Sure you can do it, but the wad inside the hull is different for buckshot because an ounce of #1 balls takes up more volume/space than an ounce of #8 that is denser without all the inherent gaps larger balls create. In other words, the cavity for the payload which is made up of plastic petals is longer on buckshot loads since there is so much wasted space in there.

So if you decide to just open up the crimped petals and pour out the small shot and replace it with #1 Buck you might end up a pellet or three short, simply because of volume restrictions. But it'll certainly work!

Just make sure that the replaced buckshot weighs the same (or less) than the birdshot you pour out.

Hope this helps.

Dave

Thanks. Had read that before but remembered it only talking about slugs. And yes, I did realize from rereading it last night that I had to watch that I kept the same weight and that I might not get enough shot in it. I think I will just ponder this a bit more. more than likely ill just go find some factory loads and be done with it. But it sure is fun to run it through ones mind !

Back