• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hatfield Semi Auto Shotgun

I searched the forums for a posting on the Hatfield didn't find any.

I spent a lot of time reading reviews, watching videos and pondering the Hatfield Semi Auto Shotgun 12 Guage. I "pulled the trigger" on one at Walmart for $206 plus tax.

Took it to the range and tried to make it fail. Rapid fired 2 3/4" Winchester Super Speed 1350 FPS, 1 ounce, 8 shot though it. No problem. Then rapid fired 2 2/4" Remington Gun Club Target Load 1145 FPS, 1 1/8 ounce 8 shot. Had a FTL at round 21. Cleared it and finished the box.
Then back to the Winchester brand. Ran through another box of 25 Winchester flawlessly.

All rounds were fired rapid fire trying to get a failure. No surprise with the low speed Remington failure. I don't plan on using those.

I'm not surprised at the flawless performance. Can't wait to try it out on skeet. By the way, I have never shot skeet. I bought a launcher and will be practicing on the next nice day.

This is the newer model. Supposedly fixed prior issues. Comes fully assembled. Prior models didn't. Does not require changing gas valve based on ammo. Prior models did.

Comes with 3 Benelli style chokes.

I felt comfortable purchasing because of the one year warranty with free shipping both ways. I didn't want to spend a lot of money for just plinking.

Link:

https://hatfieldguncompany.us/store/product/usa12w/

Edit: I thought I was posting in the "Other Shotguns" area. Don't know how to move this to there. Or how to delete this post.

Mossberg fan

Last edited:
I think @Djcala has one of their single shots. If not, I seem to recall that we discussed them for a while at least.

Anyway, thanks for letting us know that the gun did so well. Though, a little discerning that it choked on the low brass stuff.

I think @Djcala has one of their single shots. If not, I seem to recall that we discussed them for a while at least.

Anyway, thanks for letting us know that the gun did so well. Though, a little discerning that it choked on the low brass stuff.
All my ammo was low brass. I think the lower velocity ammo may have been the issue. Out of the box of 25 lower velocity only one issue. And maybe that was due to the break in period. Supposedly the Hatfield likes 1 1/8 oz the best. I was using 1oz. but at 1350 FPS. The 1 oz. 1135 FPS may have been too low power.

Wally was out of the 1350 tonight. I bought a couple other types to try out soon.

Mossberg fan

Today I used the Hatfield to shoot clay. First time for me. I was able to pay attention how the shotgun handled. Nice recoil. I hardly noticed the recoil. I guess I would compare the recoil to my 22 caliber nitro piston air rifle. Actually the air rifle is more annoying.

I actually hit some clays. Very happy with the gun and my progress with the clays.

For the halibut, I killed some clays with my 20 guage Shockwave using 4 shot. I didn't have any 20 guage target loads. I was surprised to hit any with it.

Mossberg fan

What is the country of origin?

I picked up a H&R 1871 Pardner Pump with 28" barrel "like new" from a seller on GunBroker for a "giggle bid" of $55.55. :D Because I giggle when I place the bid and giggle even more when and if I win it! ;) Wouldn't you know that I won it and was about $60 OTD after sales tax. :D I've bought several guns from this seller before, a pawn shop about a 1/2 hour away. When guns come out of pawn they put them up on GB. The PP is made in China and is essentially a Remington 870 knockoff. This one came with a ribbed 28" barrel with mod choke installed and that was it. Receiver tapped for scope mount. Aside from the slide being racked about 100 times, the internals and externals were like new and spotless! :)

I put it up on the local "gun trader" website for $133 with no takers so after almost a month I said "what the hell, it will make a GREAT trunk gun" and pulled the ad. I looked into getting a 18" Remmy barrel for it and used specimens start at $80! :eek: PLUS, I'd have to buy an adapter for $16 to be able to use a Remmy barrel. So one night after a couple beers I decided to shorten the barrel. Ended up with about 19-1/4" just past the rib mount and remounted the bead (metric thread, btw). I'll update in a separate post with my shortening procedure...

I also just picked up a used 870 "tactical" PG adjustable stock for $40 shipped from Debay. I should have it in a week or so. I THINK it will fit and will update if any issues are encountered... I may pop over to Rem Owners and post there as I think I'm still a ".177 BB" there from lack of posts. ;)

Pic is pre barrel shortening...

pp1.jpg
pp2.jpg

Last edited:
What is the country of origin?

I picked up a H&R 1871 Pardner Pump with 28" barrel "like new" from a seller on GunBroker for a "giggle bid" of $55.55. :D Because I giggle when I place the bid and giggle even more when and if I win it! ;) Wouldn't you know that I won it and was about $60 OTD after sales tax. :D I've bought several guns from this seller before, a pawn shop about a 1/2 hour away. When guns come out of pawn they put them up on GB. The PP is made in China and is essentially a Remington 870 knockoff. This one came with a ribbed 28" barrel with mod choke installed and that was it. Receiver tapped for scope mount. Aside from the slide being racked about 100 times, the internals and externals were like new and spotless! :)

I put it up on the local "gun trader" website for $133 with no takers so after almost a month I said "what the hell, it will make a GREAT trunk gun" and pulled the ad. I looked into getting a 18" Remmy barrel for it and used specimens start at $80! :eek: PLUS, I'd have to buy an adapter for $16 to be able to use a Remmy barrel. So one night after a couple beers I decided to shorten the barrel. Ended up with about 19-1/4" just past the rib mount and remounted the bead (metric thread, btw). I'll update in a separate post with my shortening procedure...

I also just picked up a used 870 "tactical" PG adjustable stock for $40 shipped from Debay. I should have it in a week or so. I THINK it will fit and will update if any issues are encountered... I may pop over to Rem Owners and post there as I think I'm still a ".177 BB" there from lack of posts. ;)

Pic is pre barrel shortening...

View attachment 20896
View attachment 20897
The Hatfield is made in Turkey.

That's impressive Gun Broker dealing. I always thought it would too complicated to use. I'm going to check it out.

I saw this on a forum can't remember which forum

EMPEROR FIREARMS MXP12 12GA PUMP 18.5" SHOTGUN COMBO 3" CHAMBER $140

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=128590

Mossberg fan

Kirk, there are a lot of people who look down their nose at Turkish guns, but I have found them to be very well made. I own several different brands of guns from Turkey. A few are also semiauto shotguns.

And Mossberg even imports some Turkish guns and label them as their own. The Silver reserve 2 and the semiauto 20 gauge they market as the "International SA20" to name a couple that they have imported in recent years.

Bobster, I don't know if the stock will swap out easily or not. However, the forend will take some major fitting because the mag tube is larger diameter. I didn't check my sons but probably metric. Or perhaps just a larger OD with the same ID?

Anyway, it took a lot of sanding inside of the magpul handguard to get it to fit. I was beginning to wonder if it was going to at all, but it finally did.

870 on top, the HR Pardner Pump below.
zEMfSgd.jpg

BTW, Welcome Aboard, Kirk! :) Sorry about the slight hijack... ;)

...and the semiauto 20 gauge they market as the "International SA20" to name a couple that they have imported in recent years.

My Turkish Turkey Thug below... ;) I thought I did good at $355 "used" plus $60 for Choate mag tube extension but $200ish for a SA 12ga is a smoking deal! :)

thug1.jpg

870 on top, the HR Pardner Pump below.

Your pic shows a good comparison between the two barrels, John. The Rem barrel to H&R 1871 adapter is shown below. $17 at Debay LINK

3.jpg

8.jpg

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 2
I've been eyeing this one at GunBroker for $250: LINK

pix947425010.jpg

Attachments

• pix947425010.jpg
    pix947425010.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 2
  • pix947425010.jpg
    pix947425010.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 2
Bobster, you could probably even use a piece of pvc pipe or aluminum pipe to make up the difference in length for the barrel retaining nut.

But I agree, the one you linked would look better than either of the jerry-rigged options.

Back