• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Have rails, will outfit? What do you like on your SG

I started thinking about all the toys one could put on their SG, and what I started with in my head is really starting to become more and more stripped down. The one I have on order has the tri-rail forend, so there is the ability to put something left, right, and a full rail on the underbelly.

And, lets face it, my SG is ON ORDER. I don't even have in in my possesion yet, nor have I even pulled the trigger and sent as much as a bad vibe down range with it. everything I am thinking about could change the second I hold it, and better still fire it.

At this point, I want to take it to the range, fire all kinds of different ammo thruogh it so I know what to expect, and become farmiliar with it. I would love to see myself doing the 200 yard gong hits *nods head to oli* and hitting exactly what I intend no matter what the distance.

The biggest question becomes, just because you can, should you? I know there is a lot of tacticool stuff out there and I am subject to it, but I also want functionality as well as form. I would preferably grab my pistol for HD and leave the SG for defending the safe room.

I would like some form of a light, but I would want to have the lens be red or green to preserve night vision without blinding myself as well as my target. I would want a type of momentary switch to make it only for MY advantage. If I need to look around, I will use a hand held model so I am not pointing th SG at things I don't plan to put holes into.

I would like a green laser, but I have to wonder how useful one is in reality. My thought was that it would be more useful for distance than close quarters to make it easier to acquire a target. The other idea is the phycological advantage. If there is a dot on you, message received.

I have looked at handles, and I have to admit, I am not prone to put one on. Looks good in hollywood, but I see it being cumbersome. If you use one, what are your feelings on it?

I can say without hesitation, that I intend to put a M9 bayonet on it, or at least have one I can.

I purposely bought the model with the ghost ring sights, so I am not thinking about scopes, or laser dot sights, but I assume they have their place. I would rather get used to low tech iron sights as a failsafe backup and think about better technical advantages later.

That is a LOT to juggle, but lets see what you guys have to offer.

Begin... ;)

I haven’t heard anything negative about the forend tri rail from people who actually try them. I went with the laserlyte tri rail because I didn’t want anything on the forend that would add weight. All I wanted was tiny rails for a sling mount and light mount, I like it a lot, small and low profile and just enough rail for my application.

For 200 yard shots bring a friend with a scope, it’s impossible to see impact for adjusting your hold. The gong I shoot at is 12” so it’s real small at 200. I have seen other video of people shooting table tops at 200+ but imo not that challenging.

Sounds like you might just want to go with a hand held light. Will have to do some digging to find red/green lens covers and if you don’t want to point your gun for target ID then you probably should go with a hand held. I am using the TLR1 strobe on my LL tri rail.

I think a green laser would be handy for hip shooting or pistol grip shooting. If you have a stock not much need. I would put it on the XD instead.

I am assuming you are talking about a handle for the forend ? I never shot with one so I cant comment but if I were to give it a try I would go with Rossignol’s set up with the Magpul piece…..the only thing I see putting on the forend for me.

Can’t go wrong with GR sights. The only other rail I have is on top of the receiver to hold my micro green dot reflex.

if I am in a situation where I need target ID, a rail mount light is serving its purpose. I just wouldnt want to use it to change a fuse etc... Lol

But thanks for the opinions. I'll bear anything you guys offer as good for thought when it arrives.

The TLR1 is a qiuck on and off by hand and I have took it off the rail to use it as a flashlight around camp.

Ripsnortr said:
And, lets face it, my SG is ON ORDER. I don't even have in in my possesion yet, nor have I even pulled the trigger and sent as much as a bad vibe down range with it. everything I am thinking about could change the second I hold it, and better still fire it.
That would be the best way to go. See what it does, compare that to what you want it to do, and then make that happen. Planning ahead of that is one thing. Buying ahead of that is another.
If the gun is going to be defensive at all, you need to stay awar from the cosmetic. Anything you put on there should serve a purpose. An actual, useful purpose. Forget about intimidation or whatever. If the gun is going to be a fun gun, go nuts with it.
At this point, I want to take it to the range, fire all kinds of different ammo thruogh it so I know what to expect, and become farmiliar with it. I would love to see myself doing the 200 yard gong hits *nods head to oli* and hitting exactly what I intend no matter what the distance.
Good plan. Just understand that 200 yards is more carbine range than shotgun range.
The biggest question becomes, just because you can, should you?
For a defensive gun: no.
I know there is a lot of tacticool stuff out there and I am subject to it, but I also want functionality as well as form.
Then pick one. If you want form, keep it as a range toy. If you want function, avoid stuff just because it looks badass, works great on Modern Warfare, or it was on some movie.
I would preferably grab my pistol for HD and leave the SG for defending the safe room.
If you feel that way, fine.
I would like some form of a light, but I would want to have the lens be red or green to preserve night vision without blinding myself as well as my target.
Weaponlights are used for target ID/verification and possible disorientation. They are not for navigation, they are not for inspection. If you need something to preserve your night vision then you need another light. Not a filter for your weaponlight.
I would want a type of momentary switch to make it only for MY advantage.
Then make it a tailcap type, and mount the light where you can activate it with a thumb or finger. Cords are potentially bad news on pump guns, especially the pigtail type.
If I need to look around, I will use a hand held model so I am not pointing th SG at things I don't plan to put holes into.
Further argument against a filter on your weaponlight.
I would like a green laser, but I have to wonder how useful one is in reality. My thought was that it would be more useful for distance than close quarters to make it easier to acquire a target.
Then you need to be familiar with offset and how that impacts your POI at various ranges. Be advised that is not easy to do with carbines and rifles that don't have the trajectory of a rainbow. Be advised that a good laser is going to cost.
The other idea is the phycological advantage. If there is a dot on you, message received.
First, the target has to know there is a dot on them. The may not be home to get the message if they are intoxicated, chemically assisted, an EDP or MH type, or they may just not care.
I would say make sure you actually need a laser.
I have looked at handles, and I have to admit, I am not prone to put one on. Looks good in hollywood, but I see it being cumbersome. If you use one, what are your feelings on it?
I don't use one because I really don't like them. Some people do like them. It just makes the geometry off for me. Especially on a pump gun, but to a lesser extend on an auto.
I can say without hesitation, that I intend to put a M9 bayonet on it, or at least have one I can.
That's fine. But if you have never tried to move through a building with one you should try it. Not your house. People get worked up about slings snagging or long shotguns being difficult to move around a house with. Just try it with a 4.5' spear.
I purposely bought the model with the ghost ring sights, so I am not thinking about scopes, or laser dot sights, but I assume they have their place.
Scopes have a place on carbines and rifles or deer hunting, lasers have a place with NVGs.
I would rather get used to low tech iron sights as a failsafe backup and think about better technical advantages later.

That is a LOT to juggle, but lets see what you guys have to offer.

Begin... ;)
You got it.

So far all I have added is a cheap sling. In the near future I am looking at a good sling with mounts, a Hougue Overmold 12" LOP stock and handguard, and a side saddle. I have already put on and taken off the M9 bayonet LOL.

m24shooter said:
Good plan. Just understand that 200 yards is more carbine range than shotgun range.
Yep, I originally did because I was told I couldn’t. Then it was so much fun I kept doing it. However I wouldn’t shoot at anything that far I needed to kill cleanly. I have dug some slugs out of the 4x4 frame I built to hold the gong and they only went in an inch at the most and hardly deformed the slug at all. Looked like someone set them in there with a hammer. I do think it would sit someone down though because ones I have found that hit the AR500 were flat with about half the weight missing. If you plan on hunting with slugs I think a sabot with a rifled barrel would be the best or at least better than the 20” smoothbore with 1400fps slugs I've been using for these shots.Inside 100 yards I would have no hesitation shooting at whatever.

I think youre right on about getting some range time in before deciding on things to add.

You know I highly recommend the Hogue short LOP, Getting square behind the stock is a huge help in absorbing recoil and for me at about 5' 10", the factory 14 3/8" LOP is rediculous.

Beyond that, gadgetry isnt a surogate for practice, nor does it equal proficiency.

I like the tacticool too, but it can def be overdone in a heart beat.

I do like the AFG for a couple reasons. I like the look of it, and I like the feel, the way it orients my hand to the gun. Big plus and it has done as I had hoped. As the arthritis gets worse, I have been finding it difficult to turn my hand enough and still be able to grip the pump.

The negative; as I have said before, I dont like having to relearn form and technique. There is a slight learning curve to having the AFG hanging below the pump, its obviously less streamlined.

I like sights for hunting. Probably not a must for HD.

I cant really add anything to your other questions, I dont have any real experience to speak of as to the other stuff except to say, the more stuff on an HD gun means more that can get messed up or go wrong (FUBAR) when its needed the most.

Biggest thing, shoot it some, see what you think. Put time into deciding on your load of choice before deciding on other stuff.

Thanks m24shooter, a lot of thoughful responce there. Thanks for taking the time. Just to be clear, I am not looking into buying anything before my order comes in, I just wanted to voice my nooB questions and learn from others experience.

I know the 200 yard thing isnt the design of the gun, nor do I think for a moment I will be even CLOSE to that kind of proficiancy straight out of the box, but it is like Oli said, he was told he couldn't do it. I would like to do it on a challange, but not as a practice.

The points about a weapon light unfiltered make perfect sense. If I am going to bother with one at all, I will go with a white light and a button switch on the rear of the light easily reachable.

Looks like the laser is out unless I find a good arguement for one.

The bayonet is quick to attach ane detach, so it is the one tacticool item I am going to allow myself. I doubt it will be stored attached. Just kept for those times I want to feel like Rambo at the range. It will alo make a great utility item when needed.

I am going to check out the LOP and how it fits my body when I get it. The stock is six point adjustable, so I will be able to work with it some and see if it fits my form or if it is nessessary to make some kind of change.

Thanks again for the input, and keep it comming! You guys are a great help.

Ripsnortr said:
Thanks m24shooter, a lot of thoughful responce there. Thanks for taking the time.
No prob.
Just to be clear, I am not looking into buying anything before my order comes in, I just wanted to voice my nooB questions and learn from others experience.
I know, I was just saying that is the best way to do it: thinking/planning is fine. I start pretty much all of my project guns with an idea of what I want to do. Several times, after actually getting the thing in hand and trying it out first I've changed the direction I was going. My SPS T was a great example of that.
I know the 200 yard thing isnt the design of the gun, nor do I think for a moment I will be even CLOSE to that kind of proficiancy straight out of the box, but it is like Oli said, he was told he couldn't do it. I would like to do it on a challange, but not as a practice.
Again no issue with that, and I amazed myself and everybody else that was on the firing line when I took a Vanged 870 crusier buddy with 3" sabot slugs and banged a head-sized gong that was on the far diagonal end of the firing line all the way down from where I was, making it around a 150 yard shot. I was dared to hit it offhand. I did it, and I was as surprised as everyone else. I proceeded to do it several more times. It is fun to do, and knowing that you can make a shot like that makes closer shots a lot easier mentally, so I completely get what you're saying.
That said, some shotguns just won't make that kind of shot and you're really going outside the intended envelope for the platform. If you and your gun/load combination can do it, that is great. But if it can't don't get too disappointed in that.
The points about a weapon light unfiltered make perfect sense. If I am going to bother with one at all, I will go with a white light and a button switch on the rear of the light easily reachable.
That is the best way to do it if you can set it up. Less things to get torn or twisted, less parts to manage.
Looks like the laser is out unless I find a good arguement for one.
If you want one for fun, that is fine. If you really feel it lends some kind of capability, get it.
The bayonet is quick to attach ane detach, so it is the one tacticool item I am going to allow myself. I doubt it will be stored attached. Just kept for those times I want to feel like Rambo at the range. It will alo make a great utility item when needed.
Understood. I mounted mine for some pics that somebody requested, and that was pretty much the only time I ever had it on there.
And honestly, there are much, much better field knives out there.
I am going to check out the LOP and how it fits my body when I get it. The stock is six point adjustable, so I will be able to work with it some and see if it fits my form or if it is nessessary to make some kind of change.
Since you're getting the adjustable, make sure you can manipulate the safety. It is problematic for some. You may have no issue with it however.
Thanks again for the input, and keep it comming! You guys are a great help.
Not at all.

So after having taken it out a few times and put over 100 rounds down range, the laser is definately out. No need with the ghost ring sights. I was hitting a peice of 2.5" strapping at 25 yards without much practice. I can only get better with practice.

I have put the 6 shell side saddle. Damn heavy fully loaded, but I find I can manage it.

I also put an inexpensive shoulder strap from Wally world on. working out great so far

I need to decide on a light that can mount on the left rail on the forend.

I will be getting a heat shield. I have a nasty tendancy to over grab the forend at times and hang onto the barrel.

The bayonet is still going to be the one tacticool item. Just because I can and I want to. :mrgreen:

You can see what I did using a tri-rail under Mossberg 88 "Look what happened to my goose gun" I have a push to hold switch on the fore-end for both laser and light.

If it is a target, who cares if they get blinded, They might be dead in a few minutes. If they are not a target, they should make you aware of the fact. MHO.

Back