• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

HD and Range Ammo

catnphx

.270 WIN
Two questions regarding 12 gauge ammo:

1) HD - I've got some concern that my first couple of shots might overpenetrate into my kids room. After the first couple of shots, I'm assuming I'll be with my kids and the rest of the ammo will be to do some extreme damage (though I do have neighbors pretty close).

1a) What is a good ammo for the 1st couple of shots that might not overpenetrate but do some good damage to the BG? My kids rooms are next to mine. Will #1 or #4 buckshot do the trick? Which kind? I'd love some options.

1b) After my 1st couple of shots, I'm assuming I'll be with my kids and overpenetration is no longer the main concern (though the neighbors are close). Which HD ammo would you recommend? Federal 00? Remington 00? 9 pellets? I'd love some options.

2) Range - What does Wal-mart have that is good range ammo? I mention them because I'm assuming they'll have some decent but cheaply priced stuff (they do for my 9mm anyway). 2 3/4" 1 oz #8 birdshot? Is that appropriate for range ammo?

Thanks for the help.

1.) This is a really tough one, almost all shots besides birdshot will effectively penetrate right through most walls. What are your walls in your house made of? For me I don't plan to miss when I pull the trigger so I don't worry about over penetration.

2.) For range days the walmart winchester and federal birdshot do great. I shoot sporting clays regularly with the winchester brand.

I'll answer the easy one first;

#2 For target practice, I agree with Dan. WalMart stuff is cheap, a brick of 100 shells for like $21 or $22. However, I also think you should practice with what you keep for "if my life depends on it" situations. That kinda leads into your first question.

#1 The simple answer is there is no definitive load that will ease all your concerns. Something that will effectively eliminate a threat, is going to penetrate walls and beyond. The solution, get something you can aim, not a load that will scatter. This is why we pattern test loads to find something that functions solidly and produces reliable and dependable patterns. We test at different ranges because we dont all have the same floor plan. Based on your floor plan, you need to determine your longest shot and choose a load that performs to your minimum needs.

For example, my longest shot would be about 20'. I know from patterning the Federal, I could put an eye out at that range. I dont mean that literally, but I do know that at 10 yards, the Federal Tac low recoil with FliteControl was still making a single hole with no discernable pattern. So in my case, my "minimum need" would be for a clean patterning load at 20' without stray pellets I have to be concerned about penetrating into the rooms of my children should I not be able to get them behind the gun before firing the first shot.

My summarization is this; If 9 pellets can be put through a half dollar sized hole, I am far less concerned with any further penetration beyond a target. The load needs to be aimed. The contrary is a load with much more pattern that covers a larger area. A load that can be pointed and hit something. If your situation allows for that, then it may have merrit. But at the very least pattern your load for your ranges and account for the strays.

Thanks, guys.

My longest shot in the house will most likely be 10-12 yards. If the pattern is that tight at that distance, are you then recommending the Federal Tac low recoil with FliteControl? What other options do you guys like? Is the Federal Tac low recoil with FliteControl easily available at Wal-Mart, Sportman's Warehouse or Cabella's? I'm assuming any of your recommendations will be 00 loads?

I agree, if I can't have the family behind me then I need to be certain of my aim and know where the penetration is going to hit. I have that problem today with my 9mm's and .357 but need to think like that for the shotgun too.

You wont find the FliteControl at WalMart. The equivilant load to the Tac LE is the VitalShok PD132.

The best places to find them at reasonable prices, prices that are comparable to WalMart prices are online. Cabellas may have them in the PD132. I have seen them on their online store.

Ammunitiontogo and Cheaper Than Dirt are good places to start too. If you need any other help, let me know and I'll track em down.

The Boxotruth.com should be on everybody's Favorites list. This is just one sampling: shotgun rounds against interior walls. Grab a six-pack and spend an evening there..... :)

Pretty much "real world" findings, not some "estimated lab results" crap. Check out their home page! It's mind boggling!

Here is the shotgun against apartment wall test you are looking for. No need to thank me. <grin>

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

nitesite said:
The Boxotruth.com should be on everybody's Favorites list. This is just one sampling: shotgun rounds against interior walls. Grab a six-pack and spend an evening there..... :)

Pretty much "real world" findings, not some "estimated lab results" crap. Check out their home page! It's mind boggling!

Here is the shotgun against apartment wall test you are looking for. No need to thank me. <grin>

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot3.htm

x2!!!
The BOT is a great place to gather info, and I agree, take your time and spend an evening or several there lookin around!

Back