• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

HD on the cheap, for me...500, no 590, no Mav 88 no.......

hunter72

.270 WIN
Good day fella's,

Just joined today so I thought I would share a little.

First off I AM A SHOTGUNAHOLIC

I prefer the mossberg product even though I own several other shotguns,
I have dislikes with each model and what model for what application.
In a nutshell I a very fond of the 590 as a HD gun, here is why,

My main reason for liking mossberg products probably stems from years and years of training with the 500/590 in the Army.
I am also a avid skeet shooter, what do these have in common? Safety location, my skeet gun and the Mossy have the safety in the same spot.
That location has become muscle memory for me, I have to think about its location when its not here on the hump.
I was not happy with the 500's lack of being able to extend the magizine, (870 style), however I like the 18.5 inch bbl vs. a 20" (again 870 has it, but not my safety. I was not happy with the cost of the 590 vs the 500 or 88. So I says to myself, self I said what ya gonna do about that? (poor GI at the time).
I talked to local turkey hunters, combed the pawnshops, 590's used were as much as new ones.
I managed to aquire a 590 magtube,nut and spring/follower from a refit of a USGI gun,(these parts were not stolen, they were replacable without turn in and thrown in the trash.)
I still was a bbl short and let me tell you, then bbls were as much as guns. So one day I noticed my father in laws 835, looked the same as a 590. It was..
I found that 835 bbls were dirt cheap due to it being after the "oh my 3.5 mags yippee" stage and they sat on the pawnshop shelves. So I traded a few things for three 835 bbls, a VR turkey, and 2 Rifle sighted "slug" bbls. I was in business. I had one of the RS bbls choked and I was set.

I know that s a long way around getting a 590, but that was back when 590's were high and not many around.

I have later bought 590's and 590a1's but I will always be fond of my project.

As a side note, later I wanted a m-4 style adjustable stock, but could not stand the way it blocked off my safety, (the main reason I do Mossbergs).
SOOOO after purchasing a used Mav 88 ( was in a fire that melted the butt stock a little) for 40 bucks, and switching out the front end with my 590/835 mayham I had the ability to use the safety on the trigger.
Now this is NOT my go to Home Defense gun, but its a hell of a lot of fun at the range.

I have my now worn about slap out 590 as standard as they come with a 4 rnd Side saddle and a surefire light forend for the house gun. IT HAS A FULL STOCK,

thats my story and Im stickin to it.

Steve

Re: HD on the cheap, for me...500, no 590, no Mav 88 no.....

Do not know where the edit button is .

Forgot to add, at the time noone made mag extentions for the 590/835, so I used a tube cutter on an 870 mag extention, turning it into a 1 shot ext, I drilled out the 590 but and brazed in the remaining extention piece. got two extra rounds in there (2 3/4). it worked and is still working years and many thousands of rnds later.

hunter72 said:
Do not know where the edit button is .

Forgot to add, at the time noone made mag extentions for the 590/835, so I used a tube cutter on an 870 mag extention, turning it into a 1 shot ext, I drilled out the 590 but and brazed in the remaining extention piece. got two extra rounds in there (2 3/4). it worked and is still working years and many thousands of rnds later.

No pics.. it didn't happen.... ;)

Pics forthcoming, I am on a 3day at work (FF) will get some up of the frankenburg and the extention asap!

Good deal, Man! Cant wait to see it! And do stop by the 590 subforum as well!

Back