• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

HD shotgun storage and safety

NYmossyMike

.270 WIN
Little back history first and a preemptive thank you for tips.

Several months ago I purchased a Mav88 for HD duty. I do not live in a bad area but very rural and there are some bad areas within 15mi of my home. It gets very dark at night and quiet. I have a dog, pit mix, almost too friendly, and a home security system with glass break and door open sensors. Motion sensor lights outside the house which the wildlife set off all the time so we become complacent to them.

Those things help the Mrs. feel more secure. My shotgun makes me feel secure so if someone threatens my wife, 3yr old son, or me I have good defense. I am very knowledgeable about all types of firearms and I have been helping my wife become more knowledgeable since she wants to know how to use them if god forbid.

Ok, so here's my question. My son has no knowledge of my HD shotgun which is in my closet with a breech lock. In my night stand is the key with ten rounds of Federal 00 buck. I find I use about 10 seconds getting that lock off, then another 5 loading the rounds. This will go up if something went bump in the night. I feel like I do not want the breech lock on but worry about there then being a weapon with no lock five feet from a night stand with very deadly ammo. On the other hand I worry in a fast ready the weapon situation the lock can be cumbersome.

How do you guys store your HD weapon and how do you keep it secure from curious hands? I'm not worried at the moment since he is young but as he grows I do not want curious hands on an unlocked firearm. Is there a quicker method of unlocking the mossy? I thought about a gun cabinet with lock but again this puts a lock between me and the weapon. Thanks for your input!

It's always a trade off. Something that might reduce the unlock time would be a biometric safe. Reads you finger print rather than requiring a code. Other than that, training your kids properly is the usual recommendation. Take the curiosity factor out of it.

M father taught me on a long guns and handguns, and let me run hundreds of rounds thru many different firearms, which not only satisfied my curiosity at a young age, but also instilled respect for them. Hiding the facts of firearms is dangerous.

I've got a similar problem as you Mike. My wife and I sleep on an "Asian" style bed, i.e no floor space.. so my only option of keeping a weapon near by is either a hand gun under my pillow(definitely not my first choice, or second for that matter) or the 590 in the closet. My wife isn't into firearms, but she is proficient enough to handle it safely. For now... keeping rounds int the tube and on the side saddle, but keeping the chamber clear seems relitively safe. I know my 3 year old daughter can't rack the slide to chamber a shell, so the worst would be a 10lbs shotgun falling on her (not that I'm condoning that either!!!!!!). So for now, she's still leaning in the closed closet... ready in 5 seconds if I need it.

That being said, there are a multitude of different oppinions on firearms in the house with children around. My personal opinion follows a simple rule: If I'm going to keep firearms in the house, my kids will learn from day one what it is, what it can do, and how to handle (or not handle) it when Papa's around. I'm very firm but educative with her when she's curious and wonders what's leaning in the closet, but she's 2 1/2 and already understands she's not to touch it without her parents around. As she gets older, I will continue to educate her so she's not affraid of the gun, but respects what it can do as a tool.

Thanks guys, I wholeheartedly agree teaching your children to respect and understand firearms is very important. I believe it prevents accidents because they understand that ownership comes with great responsibility. Showing them that makes for better future gun owners.

You bring up an interesting idea I thought of. Load the tube with no round in the chamber, and rather than key breech lock a combo trigger lock or combo breech lock may be a better choice. This way no key to lose, ammo already in shotgun but not in chamber. If needed, combo lock off, pump action and its ready. Hmm might be a plan.

I agree that teaching them early to respect the gun, is the best measure possible. My son's almost 6 and knows never to touch the shotgun. He's shot it to while I held it and is intimidated by it.. I prefer it that way. As he gets older and more mature he'll get more comfortable with it but I'll never stop teaching him mature respect of it and all other firearms. Never are they toys, don't play with it, don't talk about it, don't let your friends get away with playing with other guns at their house, tell on them, tell a teacher, tell a mom or dad. Run away when you see someone with one outside of a gun range or a police officer in possession of one... Just be honest and serious and safe in your own home.

Poopy(<- :lol: sorry),

All humor aside you bring up a good point. As much as we make kids safe and understanding of firearms, they are still kids and like to mouth to their friends... who are likely not as versed or experienced with guns as you know your children will be. I think if I knew my kids were having friends over, I might add an extra layer of "anti curiosity" protection to my system. Because even if your children might not be bragging about guns in the house, if those friends happen to stumble on one... that could be a bad day waiting to happen.

As Gunny said, there's no perfect solution to any situation, and your decision on where and how to store your firearms and the level of responsibility to hold yourself and your family members is entirely YOUR decision. No one, not even the good folks on MO.com, should tell you how to keep your family safe... in the end, it's your job, your burden... although advice will always be appropriately given :D

aksavanaman said:
although advice will always be appropriately given :D
Thanks again guys, this is why I stopped lurking and membered up on this site. I know there is no straight perfect answer for this one.

GunnyGene said:
It's always a trade off. Something that might reduce the unlock time would be a biometric safe. Reads you finger print rather than requiring a code. Other than that, training your kids properly is the usual recommendation. Take the curiosity factor out of it.

M father taught me on a long guns and handguns, and let me run hundreds of rounds thru many different firearms, which not only satisfied my curiosity at a young age, but also instilled respect for them. Hiding the facts of firearms is dangerous.

This.........

Dad took me out at a pretty young age. Seeing watermelons and the like getting blown to hell and then being asked now imagine if that was your head will instill the fear of god in ya. I was scared you know what of the guns at that age. I wouldn't dare dream of going without permission and messing with them.

One positive to having it locked up is if someone invaded your home while you were not there. It denies them easier access to it. The biometric access idea might be ideal in your situation.

I picked up one of these for my Mossy awhile back and am quite pleased with it......
http://www.shotlock.com/SoloVault.asp

I have mine mounted upright, right inside my bedroom closet with a cheap push to turn on, kids nightlight type led next to it. The light is so I can see the buttons without turning on the closet light and blinding myself if something goes "bump". I keep the tube on the gun loaded and an empty chamber.....all I have to do is hit a few buttons and rack the slide to be in business. This is probably the best set-up I've found outside of leaving the shotty sitting on top of the dresser. :)

I like that lock out device Tim. I guess it is well padded inside to avoid scratching the gun?

The idea of biometric locks like fingerprints sounds good but I have a mechanical job so my fingers some weeks look like chop meat and I have lots of finger scars.

I use a trigger lock I have a key hidden in a spot I can access it quickly. They also make some that have a combo instead of a key.

Some people will say trigger locks are not that great and you can move them a s still hit the trigger. But on my 500A if I install the lock correctly and have it nice and tight it doesn't budge one bit.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366816908.871762.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366816908.871762.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 288
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366816926.517284.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366816926.517284.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 288
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366816937.219054.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366816937.219054.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 288
Just a thought. If you're child is only 3 then place it out of reach. Place a rack on your wall where you and your wife can reach it easily but no way a 3 year old can. Not the best decor but it is what it is. Might become a laundry hanger as a dual purpose.

I have two boys in the house.. A 4 year old and a 19 month old. Neither know that I have a Shotgun for myself and a Pistol for mom ready for HD. This is a very sensitive topic for me as well. I have the ammo in the magazine but and empty chamber. I just purchased a Sentry Safe HDC11E and placed it in the corner of my master bedroom closet... I have not used it in a HD scenario and hope to never need to. I just felt it gave me the best of both worlds (safety away from my kids and relatively fast access if needed).

http://www.sentrysafe.com/Products/478/ ... nse_Center

Back