• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Heat Shielding a 28" Vent Ribbed Barrel?

S.R. Crawford

.270 WIN
Most heat shields are designed for barrels without vent ribs, I was wondering if anyone knew of any way to add some protection to a vent ribbed barrel? I just need a bit around the sides to keep from brushing up against it on the range.

If nothing like this exists I'm open to design suggestions, I might just try and make something myself too.

Hillbilly ideas follow: ;) Perhaps get a piece of metal electrical thin-wall conduit and create something? Or cut up an old heat shield into cylindrical "strips" that fit in-between the rib supports?

I might try to make something up out of PVC pipe. Get something just about the od of the barrel and cut a strip out lengthwise on the table saw. Runthe pipe down the outside of the barrel with the bead sitting in the groove I cut, and maybe add some thin sheet metal to the inside to insulate it so the plastic isn't touching the barrel. Paint it black and call it a day?

Probably just gonna leave it how it is to be honest, I was just curious if this was something reasonable to do.

Last edited:
I don't know how your ribbed shotty looks like.. but, if the rib is not removable, and in theory :D you could maybe cut a slit heat-shield for the rib ?
But that would probably mean a lot of bending since you attach it from the wrong way..
Never mind :D

heatshield.example.2.png

Gloves!

LOL

Yep, that was my solution over the weekend.. I have a Hatsan MPA that I use for Practical shotgun comps, and its about the only Hatsan "Tactical" shotgun that doesn't have a heatshield, and I often get a burnt hand during reloads. This weekend I wore a glove on the supporting hand.. it got warm, but not burnt!

Yep, that was my solution over the weekend.. I have a Hatsan MPA that I use for Practical shotgun comps, and its about the only Hatsan "Tactical" shotgun that doesn't have a heatshield, and I often get a burnt hand during reloads. This weekend I wore a glove on the supporting hand.. it got warm, but not burnt!

For all the years I was in the military and even today I wore Nomex aviation flight gloves. Company that makes them is still in business (check web) and they are excellent to prevent burns and disapate heat.

Regards

Back