• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Heirlooms

521mike

.22LR
Hey guys just wondering about any family heirlooms you may have and what makes them special to you. Also wanted to share mine and see if anyone had any info on it. The first gun I ever shot was a Springfield Arms Company .22 rifle. It was originally purchased by my great grand father for one of his 6 sons. The son was my great uncle Greene who died at 14. Great grand dad started using the rifle to squirrel hunt in the mountains of KY and didnt let anyone else use it for obvious reasons. Several years later he met my grand father ( his son in law ) and gave it to him for a wedding gift. I think that in hills of KY back then it must have been customary to give something of sentimental value. IDK maybe he just really liked my grand dad. Anyways my grand dad loved this thing and wanted me to learn w/ it. We spent hours and hours in the back yard him drinking a few beers and me putting holes in the empties. I did this at least once a week from the age of 4-5 til 13-14. When my grand dad passed away he left it to me ( really pi$$ed my uncles off ). A couple years ago I taught my oldest to shoot w/ it he was 5. Now I'm teaching my youngest that just turned 5. When we shot the other day it took me back and made me happy & a little sad at the same time. I'd love to know more about this Springfield Arms Company .22 the only marks other than brand is a circled 14. I think it was made around 1904 and called "The Little Scout" if anyone has better / more info please share.Not lookin for value its worth a million bucks to me! I'd also love to here about your heirloom.

that's some great memories and a great story.
i was doing some searching and i might be wrong but back then springfield,stevens and savage were one company.i also found this about the #14,,,
c&p
The No. 14 was manufactured from 1906 to 1910. It has a one-piece stock and an 18" barrel. Company name will include the "A&T" or "Arms & Tool". The No. 14 1/2 was manufactured from 1911 to 1941, has a two-piece stock and 20" barrel. Those made from 1911 to 1916 will be marked the same as the No. 14's and those made later will say "J. Stevens Arms Co." Between 1916 and 1920, the factory was owned by New England Westinghouse and used to produce military arms.

like i said i could be wrong. does the description fit your rifle?
you also might want to call Bob's http://www.gun-parts.com/index.html/
get a chance post a pic or two. :)

521mike said:
Great grand dad started using the rifle to squirrel hunt in the mountains of KY and didnt let anyone else use it for obvious reasons. Several years later he met my grand father ( his son in law ) and gave it to him for a wedding gift. I think that in hills of KY back then it must have been customary to give something of sentimental value.

Yes, that is customary.

If you're worthy of such a gift.

While I can't help with information about your heirlooms I can attest to the strong feelings that go along with something of that nature.

My grandfather passed down his old deer rifle to me when he couldn't hunt anymore. It always bothers me that I was never able to go out hunting with him. I know from our many fishing trips that he had a great love for the outdoors. I hated to see his health deteriorate and he was not able to enjoy the things he loved so much.

Winchester Model 94 30-30
IMG_20120311_153727.jpg

IMG_20120311_153714.jpg

IMG_20120311_153705.jpg
IMG_20120311_153652.jpg

That's awesome to not only have a gun that has been passed down so many times but also the stories to go with it. I'm sure when you pass it on it will continue. I wish I has some gun heirlooms that were handed down but I don't have any. With motor heads in the family a lot of heirlooms are tool, garage and car related. Two years ago my Dad lost his storage for a '37 Chevy pickup when my sister left her husband and Pop decided to sell it. He split the money between me and my siblings and I used part of it to buy my Mossberg 590A1. I also took the shifter knob for sentimantal reasons. He does have a Browning Hi-Power that he will pass to me sometime along with a '56 Chevy that he and Mom dated in.

MOSSY thanks so much for the info and the link! Mine is definitely the 1906-10 version. I couldn't find anything about a Springfield but found lots of info on a Stevens w/ pics and other than being stamped " Stevens " they are identical including the 14 stamp. My Granddad had told me years ago it was a "little scout" produced early 1900's but I never had much luck looking it up as a Springfield. So your info really was a HUGE help!! I'll put some pics up in a day or 2.

CMIKE, I know what you mean about car guys and tools. The gun is from my mom's side, my dad was a gearhead / mechanic and I'm a mechanic now. He gave me half the tools in my box!! Lots of old Snap-on's & Mac's that I use more than my new stuff. The tool man is always trying to con me into trading my old wrist breaker for his new junk.

Thanks for sharing

JOHN, I figured as much and my Granddad was definitely worthy. Both sides of my family are from Clay county KY and traditions are very important to them. I was born & raised in SC but spent a lot of time up there. Its definitely a different way of life but I think I'd prefer it.

RJ89, thanks for sharing and I'm sorry you didnt get to spend as much time w/ your Grand dad as you would have liked. Sounds like the times you did have were pretty great though!! I love the old 30-30 and hope your having as much fun shooting your heirloom as I am mine. Hope it brings back some great memories when you do.

Yeah, I know exactly where Clay county is. I've spent a lot of time in and around that area too.

The mindset of giving a new couple a gun is two fold really.

A lot of times when a young couple gets married, usually barely have a dime to their name.

So, often times the older generation tries to help the young couple out by giving them things they'll need.

And a gun is usually on that list so they'll at least be able to feed their family/loved ones if all else fails, and as a symbol of being the new protector because that is what they are expected to do.

When a Daddy relinquishes his role as protector and provider of his little girl, you better believe that he expects her husband to fill that role even if that means he has to "give" him a gun to do it with if he doesn't already have one.

It's never an easy step for a father, but if he believes the guy will protect and provide for his daughter and eventually his grandkids, makes a lot of difference.

I have a Winchester model of 1917 (P17) that was sporterized by my grandfather. I believe he got it for joining the NRA back in the day. He gave it to me shortly after I was old enough to deer hunt. I did finally break down and put a scope on it but it is otherwise the same as it was when I got it. It's heavy but it's accurate and it has a lot of centimental value. I took my first deer with it.

I also have his Winchester model of 1880 (I think) in .22 short with an octagon barrel. I spent many hours shooting this one when I was a kid. Many bottles cans and red squirrels have fallen to it.

My father has his old Savage Model 99 in 300 Savage. It was cut down a bit as it was used by my grandmother who was failrly small framed. This has to be my all time favorite gun of all time, esp with it's current dimensions. One of the best deer blind guns I've ever used, I took my second deer with this gun. I'm not a big lever action fan but IMHO this one is perfect in every way.

My father also has my grandfathers old Lefever 16G SxS. I have my grandmorthers old shotgun but I'm not sure of the name offhand. While these are nice, I don't have the connection to them that I do the rifles.

Nice heirlooms Mike D.

John, sometimes I wish I lived where thoughtful traditions like giving a gun to take care of a daughter were still alive. It reminded me of a friend that grew up in very northern, rural Wisconsin. A boy in his family was given a gun for his 10th birthday and would then get one every year until they were 18. When they hit adulhood they would have a a proper assortment of rifles, shotguns and handguns with which to start off with.

guys i'm lovin this thread. :D
(just an old man taking it all in)

It's also common here to buy a gun of some type when you have a child so they have something to look forward to when they come of age.

It also gives them an incentive to not get into trouble with the law, or use drugs, or just being a turd in general.

john,we call it GOOD family values. something lacking today in a lot of places.

It's also common here to buy a gun of some type when you have a child so they have something to look forward to when they come of age.
Reminds me of my cousin. He had a daughter and bought himself a shotgun shortly therafter.

I'm liking this thread too. I like things in life with meaning and sentimental value. My son gets it, my daughter not as much and my wife not at all.

I'm really glad to see everyone enjoying this thread. When I started it the other day I didn't think many people would enjoy. When I asked some buddies about any heirlooms they'd received or any they would pass on, all them looked at me like I was crazy. Most of them felt like they didn't have anything w/ enough value to pass to there children and didn't feel it be appreciated even if they did. I tried to explain that its not the value of the heirloom but the passing on of family history that has all the value. Priceless!! As for them receiving heirlooms if there kids have that kind of attitude, maybe my friends did too and didn't deserve one! Or maybe its just not that popular w/ my generation ( I'm 34 ). I've started to think the only reason I have one is the fact that I was raised by my Grand parents, and there generation had to appreciate whatever they had. I was brought up in a similar fashion, Grand dad was a drill sargent I had to earn everything. Trying my best to do the same w/ my boys but its hard when every other kid in the neighborhood gets what ever he wants. My boys are already fighting over who gets the .22 (heirloom). Should go to the oldest I know, but the younger has a lot more intrest in that kind of stuff. I'll have to find another heirloom I guess. Only other thing I own w/ any real sentimental value is my Dad's military / GI issue can opener!!! What are those called? Either way one kid is gonna be pi$$ed. One will shoot some food and the other will open a can of it !! :lol:

,,,the John Wayne,,,,,, i got mine around here somewhere.

Attachments

• Uy1RNkp2NGRlNGcx_o_p-38-us-military-john-wayne-survival-can-opener.jpg
    Uy1RNkp2NGRlNGcx_o_p-38-us-military-john-wayne-survival-can-opener.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 136
old mossy said:
,,,the John Wayne,,,,,, i got mine around here somewhere.
I have the P-38. My dad carried it on his key chain for as long as I can rember. When I'd stay w/ him as a kid he always used it to open everything. I don't think he ever had a regular can opener. My dad has lung cancer now, and may not have much time left w/ us. The last time I went to visit, he asked me what belongings of his I wanted. The only thing I could think of was the P-38, and he didn't want to give it to me!! Said he was gonna take it w/ him!! He has always been a wheeler - dealer and not sentimental at all. Everything he's owned / owns is for sale and usually sells it quick. For what ever reason he always held on to that can opener, its the only thing he didn't sell, throw away, or lose in my entire life. I'm glad & proud to have it. I still don't think my boys will be very excited about inheriting a can opener. It means a lot to me though, maybe I'll take it w/ me when I go. Wow I'm sorry guys after previewing this it is kind of a sad post. Did'nt mean to bring anybody down!! This thread is suppose to make you rember the good times.

sorry to hear about your dads poor health.
my dad also was from the old school. tuff as nails former Marine instructor. :)
enjoy all you can now with him.
dosen't everyone carry a John Wayne on their key chain? :lol:

found this you might enjoy,,,,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/P-38_can_opener

My uncle passed away a few years ago, he was ardent hunter, he gave me a Ithaca model 37 16 ga shotgun when I was 16. His wife moved in with her daughter a month ago, she told me she had something for me. I'm thinking it was a pie or cake for helping her move, what I got was a Winchester model 94 in .32 win spl. A Remington model 870 in 16 ga and a speedmaster 552 in .22. I come from a very large family, my mother is the youngest of 15 children 12 boys and 3 girls, all of the guns are 40 years old or older. I plan to pass them down to my son when I "go on in".

Back