• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hello, and OH MAN!

First off - Hello to all.

A little back-story - I have been visiting this outstanding site (so friendly and helpful!) for a while now. I registered last year when I picked-up another M500.

Well, the M500 just didn't impress me the same as my last one years ago, so I traded it towards a S&W Model 586 No Dash that I just love.

So then, last year I bought a new I/O AK-47 (an impulse purchase for sure) and was happy with it, UNTIL I STARTING READING THE INTERNET HORROR STORIES. Granted, I didn't have any problems with it at all for hundreds of rounds and in fact really liked it... but the stories stuck in my mind.

I then found a local guy wanting to trade a beautiful Mossberg 590 for it on Armslist. We met, made the trade and I was happy again.
Mostly...

The 590 was in excellent shape, great/fun shooter, but my issue was aesthetics. It had the ATI extendable stock, a nice reflex sight and the Magpul AFG on a Mako foregrip.
My problem is that I'm a traditionalist, not a tacti-cool kind of guy (absolutely no offense intended to anyone by that statement).
So it just wasn't exactly what I wanted...

So last night in my insomnia, I set about looking to trade it for another 12 gauge. I had favorited a really nice looking Mossberg 930 (it looked to be a standard tactical model in the picture) on Armslist, that he was looking to trade for either a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500.
I figured "Why not?" and sent him an e-mail expressing interest in a trade. That ad was there for a few months, so I was hoping he still had it.

He replied quickly, wanting to see pictures. A few e-mails later, we agreed on meeting after I got off work today. He lives a little over an hour away, so I asked if he wouldn't mind meeting me half-way. He graciously agreed to it (we had a LOT of snow today).

Turns out he's a LEO, and a GREAT guy. He couldn't use the 930 for work, but the 590 was just what he was looking for. We chatted for a bit, he looked over the 590 more than I did the 930, we showed each other IDs, exchanged weapons, shook hands and parted ways.

Here's where things get good FOR ME.
In his ad, he said it was shotgun only, he couldn't find the box. I didn't care at all. The gun was described as having minimal use, and that appeared confirmed when I checked it out.
He had greeted me with a smile and an "I found the box". That made me smile, BUT, the box had all the paperwork in it and the cable lock.
Happier me!

THEN, I get home, all excited... flip it over to look on the ejection port side to confirm SPX, Tactical, who-knows-what... only to see - Mossberg 930 JM Pro-Series Tactical Class!

I can only hope he's as happy or even happier with his new 590, as I am in just the knowledge of what I just acquired! He never listed it as a selling point. In fact, he had no buyers at $550 so lowered his price to $450 for the last few weeks.

I had taken the next 3 days off (as Mental Health Days) from work, so I'll be going to the range tomorrow morning! I just can't wait...

These kinds of things just don't happen to me.

Lastly - I had told him that there was an extra pistol grip that came with it, but I forgot to give it to him during the trade. I e-mailed him when I got home and asked if he wanted me to mail it to him, or get together again. He opted to have me mail it. So I'll get that sent off tomorrow. He was just such a pleasure to deal with, that I really do want to get it to him (plus, that's just how I am).

I've had a lot of shotguns, but this is my first SA. And what I believe to be a great one at that!

Sorry for the absurdly long first post. I'm obviously excited and wanted to share with a forum that always brings me pleasure to frequent it.

I know pictures and a range report are REQUIRED. I'll have both tomorrow.

Thanks,
Chuck

While you catch your breath,,,,,Welcome to the forum from Florida and congrats on your "new to you" Mossy.:)

Welcome aboard! Love the story, but unfortunately, it makes me hate you. ;) Take care. Tom Worthington

Welcome to the club and please don't apologize for writing. Far too many folks will hardly bother.

It's not just the guns, but it's the people and their stories which make this place so interesting.

Thank you CaddmannQ, and VERY WELL SAID! And that's EXACTLY what has kept me coming here as long as I have now, even when I didn't have any Mossy's in the home!

Welcome and congratulations! The 930 is a great platform, it was my first SA also.

Thank you sir! And I can't wait to find out how great. I'll be using Wally-Brand cheapos that I'll be buying in a couple of hours, so I pretty much already know what to expect.
BUT... hopefully, in keeping with my "winning the lottery" thus far... maybe it'll chew-up and spit-out even the cheap stuff like a champ!

Welcome to mossberg owners forum.

Are/were you a usmc sniper, or is that just what you chose as a username?

As for the I/O, I've had one for the last 8 years. It was a Romanian import version. While I have other AK's now too, the IO is still my first grab. I like it a lot. I have used it a lot, and I trust it a lot. Despite what some may say. Mine has been 100% reliable, with many cases of ammo through the pipe so far.

Thank you sir! And I can't wait to find out how great. I'll be using Wally-Brand cheapos that I'll be buying in a couple of hours, so I pretty much already know what to expect.
BUT... hopefully, in keeping with my "winning the lottery" thus far... maybe it'll chew-up and spit-out even the cheap stuff like a champ!

You're welcome. Buy the Federal bulk pack stuff, not the Winchester. Also, I think it was LES that said the SPX and JM series guns run different springs than the standard 930 does, so don't be surprised if it doesn't digest low velocity stuff well. But, thanks to companies like Or3gun, there are fixes (to an extent) for that.

Welcome to mossberg owners forum.

Are/were you a usmc sniper, or is that just what you chose as a username?

As for the I/O, I've had one for the last 8 years. It was a Romanian import version. While I have other AK's now too, the IO is still my first grab. I like it a lot. I have used it a lot, and I trust it a lot. Despite what some may say. Mine has been 100% reliable, with many cases of ammo through the pipe so far.

Yes sir, 8541 Scout Sniper.

Mine was the new American made one (last year production) once they moved to Florida. It was stamped "Radom" on the receiver, which I believe the Radom Poland blueprints were one of the "preferred" ones?

Like I said, no problems in the months I had it. 100% reliable. But what the Netizens were screaming kept gnawing at my brain.

You're welcome. Buy the Federal bulk pack stuff, not the Winchester. Also, I think it was LES that said the SPX and JM series guns run different springs than the standard 930 does, so don't be surprised if it doesn't digest low velocity stuff well. But, thanks to companies like Or3gun, there are fixes (to an extent) for that.

Back from the range a while ago.

First reports are that it started perfect, first couple of tubes full. Then, as I shot more, it became a single shot. More often than not, the dreaded "click" on a live shell. I was shooting leftover WWBs, and I had picked-up some of the Federal bulk this morning. Same results for both. Frustrated, I went to the counter and bought a box Estate 2.75" 00 buck. Same results.
The WWB and Federal are both 1200 FPS and the Estate is 1325.

I had hoped for better, but assumed that might be the case. Came home and have been cleaning. AND IT NEEDED IT, BADLY.

So I took a break to actually look-up a reassembly video, to make sure I had the orientation/placement of a few parts correct.

What I did notice is that it definitely has the "recycled papers clips" Mossberg mag spring. I foresee a Wolff spring in my not-too-distant-future...

Thank you for your service.

Can't help much with the semi auto, but the wolf spring seems to help them feed the light handicap skeet loads from what I have seen from others that have noted the same issue.

Back