• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hello, and OH MAN!

Regarding Winchester ammo:

My new AR is finished so I went to Dicks because they had .223 ammo on sale. I picked up some bulk Federal 5.56 and some boxed PMP .223. With tax it was $180 for 250 PMP & 120 Feds, so 370 rounds.

But the real sale price was on Winchesters at $15/50 rounds.
I passed, and the clerk nodded & seemed unsurprised.

My new AR is finished so I went to Dicks because they had .223 ammo on sale. I picked up some bulk Federal 5.56 and some boxed PMP .223. With tax it was $180 for 250 PMP & 120 Feds, so 370 rounds.

New AR??? Pics please!!

I'm really late to the party here...but welcome to MO from North of the 49!!

Great posts...thanks for sharing! Nice trade my man!!

Thanks cmcdonald!

Thank you again. Not only was it my pleasure to share, but it's actually been FUN working through these issues (with the great assistance of MO!). I'm still and finally feeling like I made at least an equal trade, if not came out ahead. Again, that's not really SOP for me anymore, so it's nice to come out on THAT side of things once in a while!

Very nice. I bought .40 ammo at Dicks sometime either just before or after Christmas, and it was about $15/box of 50 IIRC. I bought 2 boxes and was pretty happy with .30 cents/round. Plus, everything went BANG/fed/extracted the way it was supposed to.
Sorry to say that I don't remember what brand it was. I bought on price alone.

I do have 50 or so shells of the Winchester left, so I am VERY curious as to how it will perform next range trip, after the detailed piston cleaning. It is usually the same exact price as the Federal, so even if it does work, I won't be purchasing it again, on principle alone.

It just shouldn't be that problematic and inconsistent.

I forgot to mention one more thing I did that I did that really seems to have helped both my brother's and my JMPros. Ordered 400 and 800 grit Flex Hones along with their oil, chucked them up in a drill, and gave the chambers about a minute worth of love with each. I have not had any problem cycling any shells including Winchester bulk pack.

My AR is a budget model and not at all special. I will probably spend the real money on a AR10 platform in .308.
I was considering a 6.5 upper for the AR15 eventually. Well see how I like it first.
Anyhow, it needed the bullet button to be hand fitted in it, so I can't pick it up until tomorrow.

I forgot to mention one more thing I did that I did that really seems to have helped both my brother's and my JMPros. Ordered 400 and 800 grit Flex Hones along with their oil, chucked them up in a drill, and gave the chambers about a minute worth of love with each. I have not had any problem cycling any shells including Winchester bulk pack.

Thank you. I have a Dremel and a couple of attachments that would work nicely for that.

I do want to try it as-is first, just to see how much the cleaning made a difference. I do have a feeling that I'm going to have to shim the trigger group...

My AR is a budget model and not at all special. I will probably spend the real money on a AR10 platform in .308.
I was considering a 6.5 upper for the AR15 eventually. Well see how I like it first.
Anyhow, it needed the bullet button to be hand fitted in it, so I can't pick it up until tomorrow.

I've been kicking around getting either a .44 or .454 again, but ammo is just so cost-prohibitive for those anymore. They'd just be "play" guns, so I probably won't be purchasing.
I've got home and self-defense covered, but I still like the window shopping...

I'm in serious "collecting gun toys" mode these days.

I don't want to die before I get to spend what I've worked over 40 years for.

I'm still going to get a big game single shot, like a Ruger no.1 in .400 or .500 cal.
Something that really goes bang, and costs like $3 a shot, so I won't go wearing out the barrel too soon. :D

I'm in serious "collecting gun toys" mode these days.

I don't want to die before I get to spend what I've worked over 40 years for.

I'm still going to get a big game single shot, like a Ruger no.1 in .400 or .500 cal.
Something that really goes bang, and costs like $3 a shot, so I won't go wearing out the barrel too soon. :D

I started off reading your post nodding in serious agreement.

Then it became smiling.

Then it became laughing out loud AND nodding in serious agreement again!

Well then, here's some eye candy for you... :D

Beautiful, LES. But this is one of the only two guns that I haven't had since I first saw as a young boy, and have wanted since then -

SKVUgIElEG9gsrzvmt2dzEF7rTUncQpu8Itu-gMAaytQ7_BS5MUZ00lZzZwZQe7K4J8iZ-TTFCr1X0jefM9HwLy2aUwH0ehQBXaTScHQIq68leI3_f3uGC-UhDyFmbB4IJxCIdztkWbWZwc__K2-qOH0I6psm-jZKKZk644PYCHwHPZnBpJMFSZ3Z6mNjqqVxcOQ7WxqkvYZKrPJBSh_dhA4oKteE1zPpitlsLEYqsByy_jKDMjYa26J0GVq9MSqZ60rxEVIkXLV9ZiVCeTrAKLxjKu9eTd0ZksGIzIRDiO64zftV95-tW1HN5btWuofKtow_pKecEVmvGLYGbTWPdy8UJExc7bSul0-3RE_8vu91udPSGnueLcvRFbmdLjB8Ngt2Qbd0heCugJ3-Jk52_UN9DC3JVXomK2pReL8M6GNhhBPH-g5FqM1a_R_rAruSFfParH427XVoLsUJ06IyCA1YGpeodzmoGucLZd6iR3on_v2ezAgo65PISb61F9n_RCMVkCVNa_wJ8eYFYY5iuTSj24qrPfyPt-WNePGUXfQJLT4F-Z-iJIkwfgXbls7GkCV=w600-h250-no

nRCGAKnkoruvXsbXDqgIGom5UGiR2P3HuGYvBl45kSg-HB8Myyc39dRO6Pb5QFr3Q4a4ffSxDhEloheGGePKpe01knFosYvSJnyg_emanqsNRww-Pxsd7UHx3SAf4oubL_rHC33wzi8i5O-UEIaFhEsKouoBxK6yuLQ5gvjDFsch0qE6_5uEod42fMMV2Sjr6h0MRuXtOG5C6vxe0Kc7eRph7OdTFytDbMMjPbyXaqHN7s1pru4rFtZoFIEfXKiLZ4qZTykLgq57aq-zGg6ObpVUdi7Ebj5gGIyhqq0IX-PhPBGfMyWjtvlOe6d8j0H9UE5gzxglZXKY-fqTITJVoDa8Sk7xn9SuiQrlfySfjX8Lsa04VjVpzcC4X852qoyac56Qv9gWjm7Sh1OlPZENuwCvzUqZ0VCyIJcEWdVGoIxYBpzYAu394X151yeVFueAUSjqJuddSbidLbgOVO2BAnO_KwpAcrvgzOl7w4DYpi8d5nJkbUKO0IWOqYjP6teh4-zookk3fN2NnOsdy_ZCPteO33h2OPUR7p350qHXzWMKwExdqqnayFhKbF2Ch442fSdx=w600-h249-no

And this being the other -

tU1XYoNMAmJlqbi2KcKCEIzoJQEFwAPWR_OORnSPfzkp_0C2kUR2tT1-H4tQ46BmfTF6CessQdJsQEnG6Ei2QGx4jCPohx3yhxgrf1rL6s7tIlG9U4hiFjSa2yg8cP5slp4cMAi3A2VI46hWUzwUg4tION8VckC3MwuXiI5IlwVCC4faeBf8_MVi45gLrqtXTXYqY4DyzbcrZXQO1miveD2UgNfjC3EO6yCyYMqVSrarpVULZp1mhglJ2BWAAIwjSM6foQzc1SRj_XPPLFJzUYRcyT9-j4Mivj50UKcbhFLo3sVC4cU_TOW-fZU1HJYZuZGk9jDdCviKuIFM2WeTjA1vxNb8hdEiuo8bBruM62hGxpD_ih4T5XMzYYn3cta_k0fKB9qFQfWMLebIga5yhwJghyqWtasxwNd7vFw58tq7GOsbxV_9hDK9CaM0T4wzeBZF9B7kUSka5SFe_mKBqowhPkGx00X1i0wuxJzGUrUHCHU6pErGjj8HvC4X0YiR8vXYd_oAZQ9HPA5OyLNisAXHJTbsjjYfpFE0e8dxRD1CFM0C7cHnqTHH9FIftt4K-PtI=w640-h480-no

I'll NEVER have a Python unless someone gives one to me (and my Model 586 scratched that itch), but I can afford a Model 29 (if reasonably priced).

I had a Dan Wesson .44 when I got out of the Corps, but the Model 29 is my first childhood favorite... ;)

Last edited:
It's been fun going through this thread. Congrats on your killer deal and thanks for your service. Scout/snipers should be held in awe by the rest of us. My 930 SPX was bought used and had a ton of problems. I wound up sending it back to Mossberg where they pretty much replaced the whole gas system, including the mag tube and spring, and the shell stop assembly. It still doesn't like Winchester ammo. I get about 2 FTE per box. I can live with that for now, until I shoot them all up. Now, however, I've discovered a crack on the top of the stock right behind the safety. I had all the problems you had plus a couple more. I agree that a tactical shotgun should not be so finicky. I heard somewhere that the Winchester shells have a thinner rim that causes most of the FTEs. Good luck and God bless.

Hi Frank,
It's been great fun for me as well, and I've learned so much from it. I don't know where'd I'd be with mine, if the gentlemen of MO hadn't been so friendly and helpful! I got simple, direct instructions on what I needed to do, without having to tear Google apart from end to end, looking for answers to get my new shotgun running well.
It doesn't get any better than that!

Thank you, and yes Sir. Of course I'll be Semper Fidelis to the Corps, but there's no part of it that's a One Man Job. The entire military forces of the US should be equally appreciated for the continuing job they do in service to our country.

Sorry to hear of the problems with your 930, but at least Mossberg stepped-up and did the right thing. I'm sure there are also some simple, inexpensive methods to fix the crack in the stock. Someone far more knowledgeable than I am might have some great solution for repairing it. But that really does suck to get a new/used weapon and have to go through all of that...

I too have heard that about the thinner rims on the Winchester. It sure SEEMS to be true.

Good luck to you with getting it where you want it to be.

Yes, I do appreciate you all. As a vet myself (squid), and a 'Nam vet, we never, and still don't much, get appreciation. As for the shotgun, the stock is synthetic, so I don't see any way outside of replacing it, will fix it. It's getting close to being the shotgun I've always hoped it would be.

Well Sir, let me tell you that I appreciate YOU, and thank YOU for your service (and thank you for my paychecks! ;))! And I completely agree - 'Nam vets definitely do not get that appreciation. My Senior in Basic did 3 VOLUNTARY tours (13 month tours for USMC), and I'll never forget that.
And I kinda chuckled at that - of all the former military I'm ever around, I'm the only one that still calls Navy "squids". It's just a term that I never hear anymore, unless I'm the one saying it!

I was thinking of something like JB Weld, and then lightly sanded and painted. I'll always take the cheap route first, and replace as necessary. Plus, no harm/no foul if you screw it up. Just buy another one.

Outstanding, I really do hope you get it there.

Your "budget AR" is better than my non-existent AR! So I insist on pics when you take possession!

Mossberg has been really good about sending parts, usually for free. I'll give them a call tomorrow. If you feel like it, Google "YFU79", I was on the 81, but somebody did a nice biography of the boats. We were based out of Da Nang, but made it all the way up to fire bases on the DMZ. I was there in 1970-71 and things were winding down even then. Fortunately, no one shot at me so I didn't need to shoot back.

Back