• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hello from Harrisburg,PA

Neon Prime

Copper BB
Just picked up a used Mossberg 500AB 12 gauge pump in good condition. This is my first gun so I'm trying to learn as much about it as I can. Serial number is G412XXX. The only thing I've done is replace the optics/side saddle studs with Mossberg 500 pin and ejector screw. The magazine tube cap will not budge so I haven't been able to do a complete inspection/cleaning. Happy to finally own a Mossberg so any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum from Florida and congrats on your "new to you" Mossy.
Thank you for posting your numbers.I'll update our data base. Yours looks to be a 1973-1974

As far as removing the mag tube you might want to try using a heat gun to heat up the receiver where the tube screws in. Mossberg uses LocTite from the factory on it.

Welcome to the forum from Florida and congrats on your "new to you" Mossy.
Thank you for posting your numbers.I'll update our data base. Yours looks to be a 1973-1974

As far as removing the mag tube you might want to try using a heat gun to heat up the receiver where the tube screws in. Mossberg uses LocTite from the factory on it.
Thanks old mossy, the heat gun tip worked!!! I was able to get the mag cap off and clean the gunk out of the threads. I'm going to try and field strip it this weekend to clean and inspect the insides. Any advice for what to look for? I haven't had the chance to shoot yet and want to make sure everything is safe and ready to go before I do.

Welcome to Mossbergowners from E TN.

index.php

Howdy, welcome to the club.
Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself.
Please, feel free to chime in on any conversation, anywhere...
Cheers!
:cheers:

Back