• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hello from Rep. of Ireland.

Hello from across the water! I have been a Mossberg owner for over 25 years, starting out with a secondhand 600AT New Haven.
This came with a C-Lect adjustable choke, and introduced me to the joys of Pump Action shotguns.
The choke device, however, made the point of impact move all over the place, as it was tightened/loosened, so eventually I took the blow lamp to it and melted the silver solder holding it on. As a cylinder choked barrel it was a great improvement!
The little local shop had at the time a Winchester 1200, an Ithaca 37, and the Mossey. Was often sorry I didn't buy the Ithaca, cause you never come across one here any more.
I eventually traded it in against a very nice AyA under/over.
About a year later, having suffering from withdrawal symptions, I bought a new 500 Crown Grade field model with 28 inch barrels, porting, screw in chokes and the gold trigger.
This was in about 1998, and I still have it today.
It has been used mainly on the farm, being used and abused, bouncing about in 4x4's, tractors and diggers etc.
However, the last month or so, I have been going to a local clay range, and using the 500.
I creates great interest amongst the Beretta/Browning/Perazzi etc owners. :D

Whiskey? There was something in there about whiskey right?

I don't care I'm having one anyway.

:cheers:
Cheers!

Welcome.

We don't see many Ithaca's here anymore either.

Last one I had, I sold to my uncle for $35. It was a lever action single shot 22lr carbine. Reason I sold it to him, he had an identical one to it, except it had a barrel that was one inch longer and he really wanted it.

Howdy and welcome to the club.
Thank you for taking the time to introduce yourself. Please, feel free to chime in on any conversation, anywhere, and let us know if you have any questions. We hope you enjoy it here with our laid back, relaxed approach at Mossberg Owners.
And remember....
We're here to help, not hinder. ;)

ripjack13

Is it popular to re-load ammo there?

Because of increasing ammo restrictions in California, I am stocking up on such supplies.

We're probably getting dang close to the UK as far as what you can still buy here after Jan 1st.

It is prohibited to reload in the Republic of Ireland. Mainly to prevent terrorist supporters stockpiling propellant to make IED's. Ironically you may reload if you live in Northern Ireland. Didn't make much difference in the long run, they used ANFO mixture for their culvert bombs instead. Ammonium Nitrate fertilizer is not available in Southern Ireland for this reason. I believe there are two rifle cubs/ranges who have licences to reload, but the secure storage conditions required, and red tape involved, makes it impossible for the ordinary citizen.

iste And because our gun laws are a mish mash of legislation assembled piecemeal over fifty years, it gives rise to confusion. An "expert group" was convened by Government last year to review gun law and look towards streamlining it, but they knew little about the subject to begin with. Then you had vested interests on the panel who disliked gun ownership . This includes our Police force. There were moves made to try and ban pump action and semi shotguns that were manufactured ti hold more than 3 shells. However this was strenuously resd by civilian shooters, and seems to have been abandoned.

Welcome aboard!

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so we're lookin forward to pics of your 500. Take a look around and feel free to post up pics of any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Jump in on the conversation anywhere and let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

- L.E.S.

Well that's pretty awful that you can't reload in the R of I.

Do they let you shoot muzzleloaders, flintlocks, muskets, and that sort of thing?

As black powder is classified as an explosive, bulk ownership is prohibited. You can, however, buy black powder cartridges but that's an expensive way of getting the stuff. Military re-enactments etc can apply for a licence to purchase it. But in general, there is practically no BP usage. That's to the best of my knowledge, anyway. Never really paid it much attention.

Here is a pic of my 500a, for those who are interested!

gZ567FD.jpg

Back