• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hello from Virginia Beach VA

Nikryj

Copper BB
Well hello everyone. I had been debating on buying a rifle for a very long time. I was going to pick up a Remington 700 .308 but the local gun shop had a suggestion for me. I ended up getting a Mossberg 100 AT Night Train .308 for a much lower price than the 700. My main goal is to get into competition shooting but I know next to nothing about rifle fundamentals. For the price, I was told by several people that the 100 AT would be a good learning tool. Anything I should know before I take to the range with it?
Thanks,
Nik Jackson

Welcome from MI!!

I'm not personally famliar with this gun but I'm sure there are others that are that will chime in .

Read the manual, tear down your gun clean it and get familiar with it, I'm not familiar with the night train 100 but i'm sure it would be fun to shoot.

Welcome aboard!

For best results on target, I'd start off with researching the proper bullet weight for your barrel's twist rate. The right ammo can make all the difference when it comes to put'n tight groups on paper. I'd also do some reading on barrel thermodynamics and how shot placement is affected as your barrel begins to heat up. Let us know how it goes. We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so be sure to post some pics of your new 100 ATR and any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Let us know if you have any questions.

Enjoy the site!

Welcome from PA! Enjoy your rifle and don't forget to learn the safety side of it. I think you got some good advice for starting out. You may also want to consider getting a rifle at some point that shoots .22 LR as the ammo is still dirt cheap...500 rounds for around $20-22.

Welcome to MO! I cant tell you much as I'm a novice rifle shooter too, but I've been shooting an AR and am lookin into gettin my first bolt action still.

LES said way more than I would have thought of but I'll absolutely agree onthe different bullet weights and even brands affecting placement.

Another thing, make sure alll components are tight to spec from the barrel to receiver, scope rings to the base, and the rings to the scope. I dont know how to accomplish all that though... just that we've read a few things here recently about loose parts and crazy deviation in shot placement and groups.

Howdy Nikryj and welcome to the club!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LM1OIMPCCD0[/youtube]

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum!

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

Fine choice...I would do a quick clean and lube before the range...just to make sure everything is OK before the visit...enjoy !

Back