• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hello from WI

Just bought a Mossy 500 with a rifled barrel and scope last weekend. Mainly looking forward to deer season (it will be my first time) this year with it, but also plan to get a smooth bore barrel for flexibility and home defense. Not my first shotgun, but I haven't had a chance to fire the other one yet either, so it's all new. Also have a Stoeger O/U 12 that my dad gave me.

My wife and I have several pistols, and both have our CCW permits. Most of my experience is with pistols, but I really can't wait to give the 500 a workout!

Looking forward to learning more about my new (used) gun, and all that goes along with it. I'll post a pic once I get one of it.

Welcome to the forum from NY and congrats on your new Mossy.

You get a chance post a pic or two.:)

11136669_10152899465793090_153963232330882806_n.jpg

Quickie I took at the gun shop.

Welcome aboard!

We've got a great group of folks here on Mossberg Owners and the atmosphere is very laid back. The only thing we like better than discussing each other's guns is lookin at 'em, so thanks for the pic of your new 500. Take a look around and feel free to post up pics of any other firearms you own in the various sub-forums. You'll find that we're into a lot more than just Mossberg around here. Jump in on the conversation anywhere and let us know if you have any questions. Best advice I can give you when starting out on shotguns is to watch this video illustrating the push/pull shooting method...

http://www.mossbergowners.com/forum/index.php?threads/rob-haught-push-pull-video.11349/

It'll go a LONG way toward mitigating recoil and make shooting a whole lot more fun.

Enjoy the site!

- L.E.S.

Welcome from MI!!

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum Ripley !!

Congrats on the new Mossy...

Small world man, that's where I live.

So I didn't get any better pics yet, but I did check it over a little better last night. It's a 500A, and from what I see by the serial number (P182xxx) it's a '97. Older than I thought. This thing really looks like it's barely been shot. It seems someone carried it around a lot, or played with it, but didn't really shoot much. There are a few small wear marks on the barrel and tube, but the inside of the barrel is really clean. I'm guessing a pretty low round count. The wear doesn't bother me a bit, now I don't have to worry about putting the first scratch on it, I like it better that way. This will be a hunting gun after all, not a safe queen.

Howdy Ripley, welcome to the club...

Hey. Quack. Who are you? Where are you? What's going on? Quack. Is there any way of stopping it?:D

Ripkack, in all the years I've used that signature on many forums, that is one of very few responses, and the best I've seen. I have a feeling I'm going to like it here!

I'll measure the barrel in the morning and report back.

In the mean time... The sling stud on the tube is missing, and all the ones I've seen in stores are way to long. Anyone have an idea what I should look for, or where to get one? Pics to come...

Thanks for the reply Ripley, when chit calms down here in my little piece o' hell; er..I mean heaven I want to get a rifled barrel.

I will be taking this bad boy out this weekend at some point for sure. I'll report back with results. I won $100 on a bar dice game the other night, so my smooth barrel will be happening sooner than I thought. Maybe even tomorrow if I can find one in town.

So I did get to shoot the 500 Sunday (along with a bunch of other stuff). Everything worked as I expected, but I did have one problem. Now, this was my first time shooting slugs, but I did know it was going to jump quite a bit. What I didn't expect was the scope being mounted too far back and hitting my nose on the first round! Not too bad, just a bruise right under where my glasses sit, but a pain nonetheless. I'm fully aware of how many people become pirates from doing the same thing, and even pulled my head back an inch from where I would normally hold it, and still got popped. Definitely need to move the scope forward.

So after I got past that I did ok. 5 of 10 rounds (some on a bench, some standing) in a 10" group at 100 yards. Not too bad for my first time out with it, and not being able to really see the target well enough to tell where I was shooting. I think I may get a spotting scope or good set of binoculars before I try to sight it in.

Overall had a great time at the range with my dad and wife. Shot dad's lever action 30-30, 9mm hammerless Ruger LCR revolver (enough to know I don't like wheel guns much), FNX 9mm, Colt Mustang, my Bersa, wife's Sig 238, and a little Walther P22. The range itself kind of sucks, I'd been there once before and had the same impression, but it was the only place by my parent's house that I could shoot the Mossy. Rude ROs (just for the sake of being rude, there were no safety issues being addressed), and a few stupid and mostly useless rules, along with mostly rude members, adds up to a place I'll likely never return. Add to that it was $30 a piece for my wife and I who were not members. Last year we went and it was less than half that.

Definitely happy I picked up the 500. It's exactly what I was looking for. Even if my shoulder may disagree.

Ripley,
You might want to check on a "limb saver" for your 500. This WILL affect the length of pull. This could be good thing, what with moving the scope away from your face.
You should go on YouTube and look for the "push/pull technique". I can vouch for it making shooting much more enjoyable.
TJ

Back