• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hello Just Joined!!

My father always had a Maverick 88 but he never took care of it. I just purchased a 395kb. I am ordering a new stock from Havlin as the wood stock is split. Any suggestions on scope mounts that fit and don’t block the extraction of the shell?

Welcome to the forum.

Haven't seen a bolt action 395 in years but remember being a solid gun from the 1970s. If I remember correctly it had a two shot magazine?

Regards

Welcome to the forum.

Haven't seen a bolt action 395 in years but remember being a solid gun from the 1970s. If I remember correctly it had a two shot magazine?

Regards
Thank you and yes purchased it with 2- two round box mags. Just need to fix stock as it was cracked. Going to put a mount and Red dot on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the forum.

Regards
0bf4e85d10ce3be10b62db5db3d5044a.jpg

Welcome to the forum.

You are only the 3rd member that I know of to have a bolt action shotgun.

I have one that I salvaged (literally from the trunk of a car in a junk yard) but sadly mine is not a mossberg.

They are good shooters though. My old gun will hold some amazing patterns.

Welcome to the forum.

You are only the 3rd member that I know of to have a bolt action shotgun.

I have one that I salvaged (literally from the trunk of a car in a junk yard) but sadly mine is not a mossberg.

They are good shooters though. My old gun will hold some amazing patterns.

Yes have always wanted one and heard the new Savages aren’t very good. So I found this at a great price. Haven’t got to shoot it yet as I am dealing with a cracked stock. Have it clamped and glued at the moment so maybe be able to shoot next week. Hoping to win some competition shoots with it as well since I can change the choke with just a quick twist.
3e0c45d0a8b5df4d18030aa250c1c8b5.jpg

Yeah, that's a nasty crack. Mine was also split.

After you get it glued together, another forum member here suggested drilling a hole through the halves and then drive in/glue some wooden dowels. The wooden dowels will help reinforce the split.

Yeah, that's a nasty crack. Mine was also split.

After you get it glued together, another forum member here suggested drilling a hole through the halves and then drive in/glue some wooden dowels. The wooden dowels will help reinforce the split.
That would be a great idea! Was also wondering if anyone has ever done a light fibreglass coating over the stock? And then maybe get it plastidipped in a mossy oak camp?

That would be a great idea! Was also wondering if anyone has ever done a light fibreglass coating over the stock? And then maybe get it plastidipped in a mossy oak camp?

That could probably work. While I have not worked with fiberglass, other than a small boat patch, I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I've done water immersion dips before. You can even get the film and activator at ebay. A company called dip demon (or maybe it's dip wizard) has a lot of different affordable patterns that you could probably look up online in a search. You'd just have to buy a can of paint whatever base color you want as well as a GOOD clear coat to go on over top of it.

Nolan, not sure what your desired end result is but if you're simply trying to protect the finish I've used a 50/50 mix of pine tar and turpentine. Pine tar is available at all farm and feed stores. Best to give the stock a light sanding to open the grain betore applying the mix. It will be sticky at first but as the turpentine evaporates the pine tar will soak in and provide a smooth low gloss durable finish.

As John suggested, drilling and pinning that cracked stock will greatly strengthen the repair.

Good luck on the restoration of a fine old weapon. If remember correctly these were made from the very late 60s through about 82? Sure you can check the serial number for year of manufacture.

Regards

Welcome from MI!!

Back