• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Help Me Get Started Reloading...

I had never loaded my first round until after christmas '14. just over a year later im guessing ive loaded at or over 3000 rounds. (i guesstimate by trying to remember how many times i finished a box of 1000 primers.) Ive done 9MM, .45, .22-250, .308, .223, and 6.5 Grendel. The knowledge here is invaluable. especially @nitesite trick of used dryer sheets in the tumbler, and @oli700 trick of lubing in a plastic bag.

Ill agree with Oli that getting the proper flare, and subsequent crimp on pistol rounds can be tedious. seems every time you switch bullet it has to be adjusted. And im with Nitesite on the RCBS swaging die. beats the hell outta removing primer crimps by hand, or even with a power trimmer. I run all my LC, Hornady, and Wolf brass over the swager now. (Ive found Wolf Gold brass in .223 to be pretty good for reloading. I think i have some rounds with 5-8 reloads, and still holding primers well, and no case cracking.) Unfortunately the Wolf Gold in 6.5G is made by PPU and it doesnt reload well. (Oli might keep that in mind if he delves into that round)

Like Deep1 said, its an addiction, fun trying to see how much better you can make every gun in the safe.

A stuck case remover, and spare decapping pin for your sizing die should be up on the list. nothing ruins your day like a stuck case or broken pin, leaves you dead in the water if youre not prepared.

A stuck case remover, and spare decapping pin for your sizing die should be up on the list. nothing ruins your day like a stuck case or broken pin, leaves you dead in the water if youre not prepared.
this is some great advice right here

thanks for Grendel info, getting brass for these freak rounds is paramount....can be a big cost in "odd" cartridges

this is some great advice right here

thanks for Grendel info, getting brass for these freak rounds is paramount....can be a big cost in "odd" cartridges

Im working with some Hornady, dunno how many loads ill get out of it. The PPU and Wolf Gold isnt fairing well. Ive not brought myself to drop the coin on Lapua. X39 can be resized to 6.5, but apparently its about like the PPU. Only good for a reload or two.

Im working with some Hornady, dunno how many loads ill get out of it. The PPU and Wolf Gold isnt fairing well. Ive not brought myself to drop the coin on Lapua. X39 can be resized to 6.5, but apparently its about like the PPU. Only good for a reload or two.

Are you annealing your brass?

great info Diesel, one of the draws for me to 6.5G was the cheapish way to get brass through cheapish ammo like Gold and PPU......better rethink that.

great info Diesel, one of the draws for me to 6.5G was the cheapish way to get brass through cheapish ammo like Gold and PPU......better rethink that.

apparently Federal is selling American Eagle in the 6.5. havnet seen any reports on how the brass does for relodaing yet though

Yeah, not much you can do about blown primer pockets. That is the bane of my existence in 338 LM.

Great thread you have going on guys. Thank you!

Last edited:
apparently Federal is selling American Eagle in the 6.5. havnet seen any reports on how the brass does for relodaing yet though

Unless Federal/American Eagle is completely changing directions as far as brass goes, i would guess that early primer pocket looseness would be the downfall of their 6.5 ammo.

I read that Lake City took Fed brass or Fed brass bought some Lake City machines and now apparently Fed brass is as good as anything......but I did have the lose primer Fed brass of old

Back