• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Help On Vortex Optics

So bought a Vortex Crossfire Hog Hunter thinking it was USA made under miss information on Amazon. I looked it over as it just came in. So far I'm happy with it. With the exception of finding a Made In China sticker. So now I'm torn. Seems most if not all their optics are overseas, but they make their rings in USA. They are a USA based company. Mossberg uses them, and their features and customer service seems awesome. Not sure whether to return it or not...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I didn't see any reference to China on the Amazon website. Dick's Sporting Goods does have a Country of Origin listed on their site. Here is a stub of their page. The scope does have pretty good reviews and apparently their service has impressed a few folks. Return it? Zup to you. Let us know.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=34425596
Vortex Crossfire II 3-12x56 AO Hog Hunter Rifle Scope
SPECS:
  • Tube Length: 5.9"
  • Tube Diameter: 30mm
  • Magnification: 3-12x
  • Objective Lens Diameter: 56mm
  • Eyepiece Length: 3.6"
  • Eyepiece Diameter: 1.73"
  • FOV at 100 Yards: 36.7-9.2'
  • Eye Relief: 3.5"
  • Parallax Setting: 10 yds. to infinity
  • Adjustment Graduation: 1/4 MOA
  • Max Elevation Adjustment: 60 MOA
  • Max Windage Adjustment: 60 MOA
  • Weight: 21.1 oz.
Country of Origin: China
Web ID: 34425596

I've not heard a solitary bad word on the Vortex scopes. It seems they are universally liked and loaded with nice features and at a competitive price. Competitive being relative as they're too much for me.

I know it isn't always possible to get the American made product, sometimes it is. I think for something comparable to the vortex you have you'd be looking at a Leupold for a couple hundred dollars more.

For my recent scope purchase, I went with a Redfield revolution. It's a decent scope with not too many extra features and it's made in the US along side the Leupold stuff. But I'd be lying if I said I've never purchased a made in China product to put on my rifle. I had a Bushnell Trophy on my AR. I have a UTG bipod on my bolt gun now. I'll tell ya, I've long considered a Nikon P series BDC scope. The features are considerably better than what I have now, the graduated BDC marks (if there is a proper term for that I have no idea what it is right now) make more sense than the marks on my Redfield "accurange" scope. A 100 yard zero puts each of the next marks at weird distances because the scope and reticle are designed for a 200 yard zero which is a little weird for 3-9 power scope. But the eye relief is good, it gathers light well and it fits very nicely over the savage short action. It also has an excellent warranty.

I don't think you have a bad scope. If it's gonna give you some heartburn then return it. There are made in the US scopes out there for the price.

It's getting harder and harder to figure out where things are being manufactured now days. It's all part of this world wide free trade BS.

Look at how many products merely say "distributed by so-and-so" and List an American address. None of them say made in America, so you know it's a scam.

I don't know when they changed that law that said that goods sold here have to list the country of origin. I think we need to reinstate the law.

So decided to give it a shot. The trigger has already been pulled. Hard to argue with the warranty & features. Wasnt Vortex's fault I thought it was USA made. It was another purchaser who incorrectly answered a question on Amazon.

51f1c6ac89b00cf9fb4d095b75d90de3.jpg

8c48270f405040ea02dca80f3b640e41.jpg

Should have dug deeper. Will post photos soon. And update over time with my experience with it.

Thanks. Wanted the lighted reticle for coy dogs & if necesssary black bear. Have alot of predators attacking my chickens. Come January the coy dogs are in trouble. Night hunting starts.

Thanks. Wanted the lighted reticle for coy dogs & if necesssary black bear. Have alot of predators attacking my chickens. Come January the coy dogs are in trouble. Night hunting starts.

Our chickens have been hit hard too. First back in the spring, and then again recently. We were down to two, restocked, and down to four now. I rolled a dog in the dirt several weeks ago with my 835 but I got my rifle for the same reason as you. The guy I bought it from gave me a truglo with lighted reticle and it would have been a nice scope for the purpose but it's seriously jacked up. I needed a budget alternative and found the 3-9 redfield for $160. Otherwise I'd be rockin the 4-16 truglo.

I don't think you're gonna be unhappy and I hope you get a few dogs with it. Ive been hunting without the lighted reticle and it's pretty much over when the sun dips below the horizon. The lighted reticle would extend that time a little.

Yeah might pick this up by January too. Will eventually get a AR, but till then my 06 is gonna have to pull double duty.

d9c7248415c9d8ed1b0362dac77b3a32.jpg

Not to derail topic, but I had issues with coyotes in the chicken shed too. A temp solution was a halogen light, on a timer In the chicken shed Would set it to come on for a half hour, every couple hours.

Not to derail topic, but I had issues with coyotes in the chicken shed too. A temp solution was a halogen light, on a timer In the chicken shed Would set it to come on for a half hour, every couple hours.
No derailment that's a awesome idea. I've had a motion sensor flood light trained on the coop since the second bear attack.

Just bought 2 of the Vortex Diamondback HP scopes...have I believe 4 more Vortexes and really like them...no issues whatsoever...

Back