• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hi new here and 88 owner

Hi all. I just got a Maverick 88 and looking for some answers and opinions. First I can't say new because I'm not sure when it was made. I tried using the serial number to see when it was made but haven't found anything so that's my first question. The serial number is MV056XX. If someone knows the year I'd be curious. Just one thing. The 88 I got was with the 28" ribbed barrel but the seller is going to get me a new 18.5" since I wanted a defensive 88. My second question is about MAYBE changing the stock to a PISTOL grip tactical stock like ATI, Phoenix Technology or Ultimate Arms. My concern about any of these is the fact that once installed you can't remove the trigger group for cleaning without first taking the stock on and off. Has anyone solved this or is it just the nature of using a tactical stock. Thanks

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum from E TN.
I agree that going to the shorter barrel will do you better mobile defensive work than the 28" one. Before you go to the pistol "tac" stock, see if you can borrow one set up like that and see if you really like the feel of it for "tactical" operations that may be used for your home defense. Make sure it fits your needs without regards to its looks.

Welcome to Mossberg Owners Forum from E TN.
I agree that going to the shorter barrel will do you better mobile defensive work than the 28" one. Before you go to the pistol "tac" stock, see if you can borrow one set up like that and see if you really like the feel of it for "tactical" operations that may be used for your home defense. Make sure it fits your needs without regards to its looks.
Well as I said the biggest concern I have about putting on a tactical stock is having to remove it so that I can remove the trigger assembly for cleaning. If that's a must then I'll forget about the tactical stock. From the serial number, MV056XX, anyway to know when it was made?

Welcome to the Mossberg Owners Forum !!

Enjoy our community...

I guess I shouldn't worry to much about when this 88 was made since it looks new, the seller is going to get a NEW 18.5" barrel and I only paid 165 for it.

Question. Has anyone modified their tactical pistol grip stock so that the trigger assembly can be removed without taking the stock off for cleaning?

Well I called Mossberg and they were nice enough to look up the date mine was made. Turns out it was made in 2002. If I had done a better research and known that I would have spent 25-35 more and gotten a new one. Oh well nothing I can do about it now.

Thank you for the correction. It's hard to figure out Mossberg's system.;)

I will correct our data base.

Welcome to Mossberg Owners!

I've used pistol grip stocks but ultimately didn't like them but for me it's because of the safety location on Mossbergs which isn't the same issue with a Maverick.

Mine had to be removed for cleaning but I almost never clean my guns. So that was a non issue. I'm not sure of a way around it because of the grip having to be located where it is.

A thumbhole stock maybe?

No problem. Like I said in my post I wish I had done a little more research considering the one I got is like 15 years old. Although it does look new and the seller is getting me a New 18.5" barrel. But I could have gotten a brand new one for about $35 more. I guess buyer beware applies here.

I'm not sure I would find advantage with a pistol grip tactical stock. Having hunted with a Model 12 Winchester all of my life I find the stock and safety location to be the same as the Model 12. When I pick the 88 up to just play with or actually shooting at a critter its the most natural thing for me. I like it just the way it is.

Well I've pretty much decided against getting a tactical grip stock. Didn't like the idea of having to remove it every time I needed to clean it. I did however find a slip-on Limbsaver butt pad that I forgot I had and it fits great. Now just waiting to hear from the original owner about the new 18.5" barrel so I can go pick it. I still can kick myself for doing a little more research about this 88 since it is 15 years old. I could have spent about $35 more and gotten a new one. Oh well nothing to be done now.

Well I've pretty much decided against getting a tactical grip stock. Didn't like the idea of having to remove it every time I needed to clean it. I did however find a slip-on Limbsaver butt pad that I forgot I had and it fits great. Now just waiting to hear from the original owner about the new 18.5" barrel so I can go pick it. I still can kick myself for doing a little more research about this 88 since it is 15 years old. I could have spent about $35 more and gotten a new one. Oh well nothing to be done now.

I hear ya on the price. When I was in business we called it "leaving money on the table". No matter the amount its never fun

I wish but the deal was they'd get a new 18.5" for me and they keep the 28" one. But that's ok. I guess the best way to look at it even though it's 15 year old I took it apart to clean and it looked almost brand new. So with a new barrel it's all good.

1w, I think you didn't do to bad. I'm not sure all "newer" models are improvements except to make mfgr faster and less expensive. That may not apply to the runs of 88s, but you may have one in the sweet spot. ;)

Back