• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

High Sierra Fishing

CaddmannQ

Will TIG for Food
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Southern California Edison runs a number of dams and power houses up and down the Sierra Nevada and they are generally good places to go fishing.

Two such Lakes are Huntington and Shaver, and power is generated at the Big Creek Powerhouse in between them. To help balance out the flow at certain times there is a third small Lake in Balsam Meadow which was created for this purpose, and I went fishing there for the first time today.

It will not be the last time but I will definitely want to get a canoe or inflatable boat down to this little lake. It is only about three-quarters of a mile from the highway to the center of the small lake, and it is an easy hike.

We had a lot of fun today catching smallmouth bass and throwing them back because there were no big ones. But I watched two big brown trout stalking my worm across the shallows as I reeled in, yet I could not tempt them to take a bite.
10023.jpeg

But the little small mouth were hungry as the devil and they were just eating our worms as fast as we could toss them in the lake.

10043_resized_1.jpeg

My buddy Bobby caught the most fish but I caught the biggest one of the day which was still only 10 inches long.

I never did get pictures of fish because it always seems like we both had one on at the same time, but the bite died off about lunchtime and so we had some snacks and took photographs and hiked back to the truck.
10031_resized.jpeg

Looks like a beautiful place.

Back