• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

Hogue Inc. OM Stocks and Grips Reviewed, Mossberg Compliant

Re: HOGUE Tamer Pistol grip and forend for Mossberg 500

Looks great!

Re: HOGUE Tamer Pistol grip and forend for Mossberg 500

For sure, I read Brads review on it awhile back so I was planning on ordering it online, but when I found it at the gun show I got an even better deal. Thanks for the info, good to know both of you guys have one too

Re: HOGUE Mossberg 500 OverMolded™ Shotgun Stock - 12" L.O.P

The 'standard' 14 3/8" LOP is basicaly too long for most people. It gets worse when you put on a heavy winter coat which pushes the gun further away. In years of teaching police and corrections shotgun, the first thing I would do to every single gun is shorten the stock. It makes little difference to bigger folks but makes smaller statured folks lives much easier. I have watched people fail shotgun quals with standard stocks and then re-shoot with the shorter LOP only to have them pass handily. Over time, the average size of cops has gone way down but the guns have not kept pace.

nkeegstra said:
The 'standard' 14 3/8" LOP is basicaly too long for most people.

Exactly! Its rediculous!!! I'm 5'10" average I guess.

nkeegstra said:
It gets worse when you put on a heavy winter coat which pushes the gun further away.

I just mentioned this very thing to someone the other night! I dont like the 14 3/8" in a tshirt, and it sucked with my Carharrt coat!

Thanks for your perspective on the shotgun qualification too!

Great review Bro...Thanks for posting !!

Re: Hogue Inc. OM Stocks and Grips Reviewed, Mossberg Compli

I got one on the way.....see what all the hype is about lol

Oli, I think youll realy like it! ;)

I have prefer to keep my same shooting stance between all guns, pistol, rifle, and shotgun. It greatly standardizes training and makes it all that easier and consistent. At 5'8", a standard LOP just does not work for me so I have either outfitted my shotguns with the Hogue 12" LOP stock or chopped down standard stocks.

I really like Hogue products!

Having the ability to square your body more to the target is a big advantage when it comes to recoil management.

Thanks for the reviews, you did a great job.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

Rossignol said:
Oli, I think youll realy like it! ;)

Got a chance to take a few shots out of it with the Hogue. I added the slip-on Limbsaver for the extra inch lop and it is perfect for me. I am going to leave it on for now and see how I like it over time. I also added the Meprolight tritium front sight and it is right on the money…..also added a Mesa 4 shot side saddle so I basically took everything I had on it off other than my sling and Laserlyte tri rail. The main thing I like about this configuration is the weight. It handles nice and it carries nice on the sling because it seems more balanced. The lop is about just like the way I had my Knoxx set so that feels about the same. I love the Hogue forend vs the stock offering. The felt recoil reduction with the slip on pad on top of the Hogue pad worked better than I expected but not quite as much as the Knoxx. I grew too really like the pistol grip stock for handling but with the lower weight of the Hogue makes this a wash for me in the handling department. I really like this set up though, got 20 rounds of heavy hitting reload slugs ,10 ea of 8 pellet and 10 pellet reload 00 buck , 10 S&B #1 buck , 5 low recoil Rio star slugs and it felt great…..really like the new front sight
IMG_0989.jpg

yeah, thanks for posting about the slip-on pad, just what i needed to make the lop good for me

Oli, thats sweet man! Glad youre diggin the new stuff, I've been enjoying mine since I put it on!!!

Hi Rossignol, I'm new to the forum and I have a question regarding the Hogue 12in LOP stock. I just put mines on today and it seems to "flex" and make a gap where the stock meets the receiver when I shoulder the weapon and apply pressure to the forend/buttstock. I have the bolt stock on tight with a crush washer and the washer hogue supplied. I've searched but cant get a clear answer. I thought maybe I can get some help here. I'm dissappointed and frustrated right now because I'm not sure if this is how the stock is suppose to be. So is it suppose to have some loose/freeplay feeling to it or is it suppose to be rock solid? The gun is a M590a1 mariner btw. Thanks.

Hi Tony! Welcome to MO!

Sorry to just to get to this...

The stock should be tight and solid to the receiver. I've not ever seen what youre describing. Is the washer tight to the hole in the stock? You used your factory bolt?

Take the recoil pad off and try to duplicate the play, see if you can see anythin goin on in there. When you started the stock bolt, did you start it by hand?

The last resort option is to go to the local hardware store and get a shorter bolt.

Thanks for the welcoming! Well, the washer is definately tight. The bolt was hand started first. I bought the shotgun used and it had an ATI top folding stock on at the time but also came with the factory synthetic buttstock. Inside the stock was a long bolt that I'm assuming is the factory stock bolt? That is same the bolt I used to put the Hogue stock on. I also took the recoil pad off like you said and looked for anything going on inside but I don't see anything physically moving around? So I put the factory synthetic stock on and I noticed that there is the a VERY SLIGHT loose feeling with the factory stock also. Its not enough free play to bother me like the hogue. I then took the factory stock off and installed just the bolt by hand into the receiver until it wouldn't go in anymore. You would think that the bolt wouldn't budge but I go to try to wiggle it and it moves around like a loose tooth?! Is it just my stock bolt bad then? Or maybe even the threads in my receiver? I'm sorry for the long life story but I'm just trying to be as descrptive as possible. I really like the feeling of the Hogue stock and I just want it to work without the loose sloppy feeling. I can literally fit a dime in between the top of the stock/receiver if I apply enough pressure.

No worries, def be as descriptive as possible!

Ok, so was the ATI stock tight? Try threading that bolt in the receiver and see what happens.

There should be NO play between the stock bolt and receiver. If anything is gonna become stripped, it would be the receiver and not likely the bolt.

I didn't really pay attention to the ATI stock. I took it off the same day I got it home and put the factory synthetic stock on. I didn't realize that the factory stock had some play in it also til I put the Hogue stock on cause the free play with the Hogue stock is bad. I do remember that taking the ATI bolt off was a pain because the bolt was so tight. If my receiver is stripped would it be safe to rethread it? Also I no longer have the ATI stock to mess with.

Alrighty, if you thread the bolt into the receiver without the stock till it feels snug, can you wiggle it free or does it even fully tighten?

Also try carefully and slowly threadin it in by hand and try to feel for resistence early or if it wants to jump a thread and visually see if it threads in straight or if it wants to kick in any direction as it threads.

I hand threaded the bolt in without the stock and it threads in fine, I dont feel any resistance and it goes in straight. It threaded all the way into the receiver until it hit the back of the trigger. Its doesn't feel snug, I can wiggle it around a little even with the bolt threaded that far into the receiver. I'm thinking the receiver is just slightly stripped maybe if I put teflon tape on the bolt it'll hold more snug?

Back