• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

HOLY CRAP ~~~ I just bought my very first AK-47

Yes, we live in much the same world my friend and same mindset. I too live back in the woods. I could live anywhere in the world, but this is where I prefer to be. But with that, comes it's own rules and ways.

I live where there are a lot of hills and hollers (valleys). Constant up and down terrain that is rough with briar thickets, laurel thickets. Twigs, trees and bushes and fallen trees after the wooly aldegids killed most of our pines about 15 years ago. It would almost make you cry to see the mountain where I grew up. It almost looks like a bomb blew up with all the decomposing trees on it now. You're lucky to even get 100 yard shot on anything unless you're hunting over a farm someone cleared off or a strip mine that has been reclaimed or shooting ridgetop to ridgetop.

That's also why my opinion of the AK is so high. (aside from reliability).

I just like the way 7.62x39 shoots.

I can shoot into the hill with an AR and it makes a little hole and dent about the size of a teacup saucer.

I shoot into the ground with an AK and it digs a small trench.

Huge difference on how the bullets perform after they leave the barrel. And why I like the x39. Always have.

I don't get too hung up on numbers because like you said, they each have their own attributes, but a 55 gr bullet @ 3000 fps is around 1050 ft lbs of energy. A 124 gr bullet @ 2400 fps is 1450 ft lbs.

The russian cartridge just does a lot more damage, and laughs at small cover where the 556 will deflect and fragment much more quickly as you said. That is absolutely true and I've noticed the same thing myself.

It is a sickness...... Somebody please help me.....

A Zastava M70 just came home with me an hour ago, along with a bunch more Barnaul 123-gr steel case.

My Century American-made BFT is quite well built (not at all like the Century of 5-10 years ago) and I am very pleased with it. No regrets or complaints. Man, it's well built.

But the Zastava (Made in Serbia/Yugoslavia) is more finely made. Superb gun in every respect.

I'm sick. Help.

Two AK Rifles.JPG

Attachments

• Two AKs.JPG
    Two AKs.JPG
    558.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
That's really nice nitesite.

I too like the yugo/serbian variant. There are a few slight variations in them, but not much. I also admit that I like the darker chestnut colored stock on the zastava too but that is a personal preference.

The handguard on the zastava are a little longer, as you can see by the three "slots but that is typical for that country.

There is also a small detent in the rear that needs to be depressed to get the bolt and action spring out. That is more of a safety feature in case of a catastrophic failure (kaboom). Keep an eye on the receiver around the detent though. Some of the early imports have displayed some cracks.

I also noticed that the M70 style stock you have doesn't have the humpback whale cheekrest, which is also good. Many people don't like that style because they say it's punishing while shooting for extended periods. Mine had the humpback but I ultimately changed it to a skeleton stock because I just liked it better and it cut some of the weight down. But, I do like the traditional AK style like is on yours.

The Zastava has a thicker (1.5mm) receiver too, so it's going to be a little heavier, but more sturdy in the end.

Just watch for the bolt carrier mushroom/wear. I would hope that century has addressed that and figured it out by now, but that was something we discussed earlier.

I don't know if that barrel is chrome lined or not? Mine is one of the npap models from years ago that is not chrome lined, though I truly wish it were.

Anyway, congratulations on the AK's. They are great tools to have in the shed.

I've made my zastava "mine". Mostly just changed the stock, grip. Changed the flashider, but that was only because it was a birthday gift from one of my sons, so how can you say no to that?

The red dot is quick detachable, and while I wasn't really sure what to think of it at first, has grown on me enough that I can't see myself shooting without it now.

nMOexa2.jpg

Hi John,

In response:

The Barrel is chrome lined.

Both the Century and Zastava are 1.5-mm receivers with bulged and riveted trunnions.

I found the little spring loaded tab on the dust cover you mentioned. I probably never would have found out why I couldn't removed the dust cover!!! Thanks.

I chose the color of the wood from several to pick from. I like it.

BTW - nice looking M70 you got there.

And a question:

Why are AK muzzle devices canted 45-degrees?

Great that it's chrome lined. And I like the color stain you chose too.

The flashiders are like that supposedly to help minimize muzzle rise in full auto to help keep the gun from flipping as much and also to help keep the gun more stable in your shoulder.

Since it was designed for a right handed shooter, having your left hand on the left side of the handguard, they thought porting it there would help help keep the gun from moving around as much to do it that way since you could control it with your left hand/arm better, so it's ported out over your left hand/arm.

Keep in mind the design is ~75 years old, and I think there are other ways of looking at it now.

Yeah, as was mentioned, there's about 75 more years of innovation since that was developed and if you are wanting a muzzlebrake, there are others that do extremely well with flash and recoil reduction out there. Some are affordable, and others not so much. There's a lot of night time shoot and comparisons on youtube if you're interested in something better than the slant brake.

I have the phantom style that's shown above. It does "ok". Like I said, it was a gift from one of my sons, so it's staying.

On another, I have a traditional AR15 A1 style which does decent at flash mitigation and another which is more of a comp. https://www.brownells.com/userdocs/products/xl_246199001_3.jpg

I'd like to have an standard wood furniture AK, but don't really know what brand to buy. Then there is stocking up an another caliber, and then knowing me, I can't leave well enough alone and would tinker on it all the time and it would turn into a money pit. But I still want one. I had a PolyTech Legend underfolder years ago and foolishly sold it. That thing would be worth a small fortune now.

I'd like to have an standard wood furniture AK, but don't really know what brand to buy. Then there is stocking up an another caliber, and then knowing me, I can't leave well enough alone and would tinker on it all the time and it would turn into a money pit. But I still want one. I had a PolyTech Legend underfolder years ago and foolishly sold it. That thing would be worth a small fortune now.

Just pick one.

Try to find one with a chrome lined barrel if you want it to be like the originals. A nitride treated barrel in all reality would be a little better though. Nitride treating is a chemical process. Chrome lining is a plating, which if you have ever seen the chrome bumper on a 1984 pickup, you will see how that chrome plating peels off over time anyway.

So, find one you like, and run it by us and give us a link and we'll try to help you pick out one that you'll be happy with.

Yes, the polytech legend is worth a lot now. Even with as much as AK's have risen in price the last half dozen years, those have always been coveted.

Probably moreso due to import bans than anything else, but they're not bad AK's to start with.

My buddy had a Norinco Thumbhole at the same time. Those are really pricey now too. I remember we set the upper handgaurd on fire one day while trying to chop down a dead tree he had on his property. Good times....
I always liked the Russian Red rifles that were on Atlantic Firearms a decade ago. Classy looking AK's.
https://atlanticfirearms.com/morr-aam-rom47-red
This is what I had in mind.

Last edited:
Are the Century rifles the same company as Century Arms International? I had one of their HK91 clones back in the 90's and it was a complete turd. Now I don't pay much attention to the Century offerings, but don't know if they are a whole different company or just put out better products now.

Century Arms (CAI) used to stamp cheap receivers here in the USA and imported surplus parts from all over the world to build inexpensive guns. And they were often unsuccessful in assembling a decent gun.

The BFT47 AK that I bought is still Century Arms but it was 100% made in USA and I cannot find anything to complain about. A 1.5mm receiver, bulged T7 tool steel forged trunnions, the sights are straight, excellent fit, good tiger stripe maple wood, It was built in 2022 and a factory Lifetime Warranty. In fact, this version of an AK is free from negative comments at least anywhere that I can find and I have really looked diligently..

Apparently they listened to American consumers and put a lot of effort into building a good AK. At almost $1,000 it ought to be.

This guy is one of the experts.

Last edited:
Long ago, many people swore that century used (drunken) trained monkeys to put their stuff together. Though, some of that was undeserved in my opinion. You know how certain fanboys get when they're trying to make themselves feel better about something. They put down everything but brand XYZ they have.

But, at the same time, century did put together some lemons too. No disputing that.

From the specs, I do believe that CIA has tried to build a good gun. They've listened to what the market was telling them they wanted, and they did it. Every time they tried to cut corners (like no chrome lined barrel), the market bucked.

Have you priced just parts kits lately? Most of them are north of $700 and $900 depending on what you are wanting. The AK market has gotten pretty crazy.

example;
https://www.apexgunparts.com/rifles/ak-47/ak47-parts-kits.html

http://www.redstararms.com/index1.html?c82.html&1

There's also a couple of really good companies that are making 80% and complete AK receivers. Recreator and Childers are making some of the better stuff out there in regards to receivers and blanks.

There's also a company called Arms of America that has an imported 80% blank that's supposedly really good too. I don't remember which country it was from, but it doesn't matter a lot as long as you're making a traditional AKM.

Anyway, here's one of the Recreator blanks that I saw a while back.

ngddlfR.jpg

^John, my grip about Century of old was the inconsisency in 922r parts they were "sourcing or trying to make inhouse". Especially their hammers whose faces were either cut at the wrong angle or not flat or of inferior material. Hammers show peening and inconsistent strikes after only a few shots. Plus on certain weapons they used dremil tools to try and get magazines to fit and function. I have three slab side examples of their handy work.

Although I own none of their new offerings, I do think they have listened to their customer feedback over the years and it appears they are making much better products like the one Nitesite bought.

There were some good imports before the 922r era if you can find one. Could be wrong but seem to remember 922r was passed in 1989?

Regards

I think 922 was passed during '86 firearm owners protection act (FOPA) which is the same bill that banned machineguns.

But, even many years afterwards, were allowed to import certain parts kits (complete with barreled trunions) until bush jr nixed that. It was at that point, barreled kits and such took a hit, and then the AWB during klinton banned mags over 10 rounds. That's when the magwell stuff started to come into play by importing them with 10 round single stack mags just to get them into the country, then they had to open them up to accept regular capacity magazines.

As I have said many times before, government is not the solution to any problem, they ARE the problem.

And to think, we have a 2A right to not infringe our deer hunting dammit.

Boy. That is really.

Something.

Those links around and in front of the gas block are cool. I understand though. As if his 75 round frankemag didn't hold enough. I'd want a few extra too. I kinda think he could weld another magazine to the front of that one and make it and even 90 rounder without protruding in front of the muzzle.

Which brings me to my next thought.

I also like how he has plugged the barrel to keep the sand out of it.

Smart fella.

(that is sarcasm--I guess it's just a piece of paper towel?)

And that bayonet has an attachment point for his camel keys. Either that, or maybe that's what he thought a gut hook was supposed to look like.

I just can't stop looking at it. The more I look, the more that I see. I kinda think he's been wondering around in the desert for 40 years and been in the sun too long.

Thought you guys might get some new ideas for your AKs?????????????

Remember on back Nitesite was looking for a "shell holder" for his new coach gun and maybe this would be an idea for his new AK toys?

The other thing to notice is the mag pouches around his waist. Appears to be atleast six but likely more on his right side. Hard to tell if these are for 30 or 40 round mags but guy is carrying a full combat load and he's certainly no spring chicken.

Interesting old school technique for keeping debris, rain or stream water out of the barrel muzzle. We use to take cutoff fingers from rubber gloves and put them over the muzzle breaks. These were later replaced by "finger cots" which you can buy now in any drug store. They worked well and disappeared during the first shot. Still use them today on hunting rifles when the bad weather sets in.

Regards

Back