• Mossberg Owners is in the process of upgrading the software. Please bear with us while we transition to the new look and new upgraded software.

HOLY CRAP ~~~ I just bought my very first AK-47

I TOOK MY CENTURY AK RIFLE BACK TO MY LGS STORE AND RETURNED IT>>>>>>>

I confess that I really wanted to like the new Made in America BFT47 from Century. It was supposed to be the "best" AK that Century has ever sold. That helped me overcome my hesitations.

I never fired a single round thru this brand new rifle. I intended it to be bequeathed to one of my sons.

Then on Monday of this week I find out that Century is recalling most of these rifles, and doing it very quietly and behind the scenes. :( They are not putting out any public notice. I guess you were supposed to find out about it on your own.

They barely skipped over my particular serial number, but they have put out a wide swath of s/n that they want returned to them. My AK s/n was within 300 numbers for the recall. So I don't trust it. Problem is, they don't really say what the problem is, and they haven't notified the owners who registered their gun for the warranty.

When I called Century and asked Kay in Customer Service exactly why the recall she hemmed and hawed and finally told me that I need to talk with their "engineer" for the answer. And he was not available. And he was the ONE GUY who could address my question. This is company headquarters for christ sake. One guy. So she took my phone number on Monday and said that he would call me back. Well, it's Wednesday and no call.

My guy at my LGS didn't know about the recall but he looked into it and sure enough it is real. And here is what is amazing about knowing my LGS guy for 25-years.

He gave me a full refund with no questions. Every penny.

That stinks about the recall. I wouldn't be too surprised if it wasn't some bonehead legal reason like the bill board "read the owners manual" engraving on much of what Ruger sells. :doh:

Or the recall Browning did for their buckmark 22 pistols that the recall only pertained to the box (yes I'm serious).

https://www.firearmsid.com/Recalls/FA_Recalls 2.htm

I'm not going to speculate about what the recall may be for. Could be something. Could be much to do about nothing. Last time was about the safety lever, which could trip the hammer when the gun was being disassembled and completely field stripped and after the dust cover was removed, in which you should've cleared the gun and removed the mag as step 1, but I digress.

https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/201...sued-5-million-defective-ak-47-safety-levers/

It's great that your FFL didn't give you any grief returning it. That goes a long way where I'm concerned. At minimum, most would ask some $$ for restocking fee or something to make it worth their time. Especially if the serial number of your gun was unaffected by the recall.

Thanks John.

This is reportedly a metallurgy/heat treat issue in the trunnions that could affect reliability. But I don't know that for an absolute fact because the ONE GUY in the entire corporate office who could answer me won't call me back.

Nitesite, hope this doesn't turn you off to AKs.

My recommendation is to find an old Romanian or Russian model. I have one that is dated 1970 and it runs today as good as when it was made. These are battle rifles and the only thing that ever needs to be replaced (after a couple of decades) is the spring. I've never has a misfire from any of the ones I have and they live on steel cased ammo. If you can find a Romanian SAR model or even and old WASR they are excellent quality miitary rifles. But buy good quality magazines and you will have no trouble.

Like us, sometimes older is better!!!!!!

Regards

I TOOK MY CENTURY AK RIFLE BACK TO MY LGS STORE AND RETURNED IT>>>>>>>
I confess that I really wanted to like the new Made in America BFT47 from Century. It was supposed to be the "best" AK that Century has ever sold.
I never fired a single round thru this brand new rifle. ...
Then on Monday of this week I find out that Century is recalling most of these rifles, and doing it very quietly and behind the scenes.
He [LGS] gave me a full refund with no questions. Every penny.

Thank you for the heads up on this, nitesite. I found a note of the recall that was issued and posted it at:

SAFTEY ALERT: Century Arms Issues Limited Recall for BFT47 | Mossberg Owners

What? Here they have to give you the sales tax back, and then they just claim it at the end of the year on their taxes.

What? Here they have to give you the sales tax back, and then they just claim it at the end of the year on their taxes.

They wouldn't have to refund the taxes. It was basically a negotiated private sale since his weapon was not covered by the recall.
[I could be wrong. I am not a tax lawyer.]

WHAT TO DO IF YOUR RIFLE IS AFFECTED

Once you have determined, based on its serial number, that your rifle is one of the potentially affected products, please submit a return request to support@centuryarms.com. Your rifle will be inspected by Century and replaced as appropriate to ensure the durability issue has been remedied.

Century will perform all required service to your rifle to ensure its proper function FREE OF CHARGE. We will make every effort to replace your rifle as soon as possible.​

They wouldn’t have to refund the taxes. But here they would do it just because they are encouraged to do it by the system.

The seller Returns the taxes, and the government refunds it. Nobody cares because the refund comes from the taxes you pay. The more refunds they have to process the bigger government grows and the happier everyone is. Sorta

Anyhow it’s a public relations win for sellers. I don’t know how this all works across state lines however.

In my state, you have to mail in taxes quarterly. 4 times a year.

So, any refund prior to the end of that date where they must mail them in, gets refunded right along with it, and there are no corrections to make, other than the log where it was refunded.

Yesterday I took a couple very lightly used guns (which I cared very little about) to my LGS and bought another Zastava M70 ZPAP AK. Even up trade. Didn't cost me a penny. These AKs run $1025 so I am glad to have another.

They really are fascinating firearms.

I plan to bequeath such guns to my sons before I pass on, and am getting them now because I do not know when they will be unavailable for purchase.

You know, that's actually how I prefer to do it as well. I'll give whomever I want to have it (hopefully well in advance of my time to go) that way I know there are no issues whatsoever.

There are a few that must wait until afterwards in regards to nfa transfers though.

Back